coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Ya Spitfire get ur ass here :p

Take out the entire stupid ass Brands recommand list and use Grapes(can we can we?) and Mine.... lemme dig mine out
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=377057#377057

NEXT

Low Mid range...
I suggest taking this section out = = its quite pointless...put the 5700/5600/9600 non-pros in the value section which well be ($50-$200)

just have ONE mid range($200-300)
9800 non-pro, 9800SE (256bit) 5900XT , 5900 non-pro, 9600XT/5700Ultra, 9800pro... maybe 5900Ultra soon

High (300+)
5950Ultra 9800XT

GeForce FX have very good DX9 compliers now which gives very good performance (not much slower than Radeon)

make a note: when playing DX9 games with GF FX.. if there's poor performance... it is because the compliers are not optimized for the games yet.. update the drivers or wait for new driver release

Not to mention Volari is now the biggest cheater :D

Higher mid range
9700s are gone... take them out
include 5900XT and 9800pro

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
IMO, 2 midrange section is good.

Let's see what others think about your selections

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, are you nuts?

The 9600XT is $150 And that is mid-range.

The 9800 Non-Pro is an entire class above the 9800SE (even 256-bit RAM versions).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
The 9600XT is $150 And that is mid-range.

not EVERYONE can get a 9600XT at this price can they?

9800 non-pro are disappearing anyways....

120% nVidia Fanboy

cleeve

Illustrious
Cleeve's Picks:

Low end: Ti4200 or Radeon 9600SE

low-medium: Radeon 9600 PRO

high-medium: Geforce FX 5900XT or Radeon 9800 PRO

High end: Radeon 9800XT

Use what you will, that's fine, it's all good. I would clean it up a little though if I were you it was very 'on the go' (getting ready to watch SuperBowl) but please try to make at least some <i>small</i> mention of the Parhelia. I think the Xbit review showed that if the Volari deserveses to be there so doe the Parhelia, which to me has at least SOME attractive features unlike the Volari (unless someone found one I missed :evil: ).

As always lemme know whether you guys need anything.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Parhelia does belong there, its the only one that has surround gaming.
Its a great specialty card and I agree on if Volari is in there it does too.

----
Support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I agree with you

cleeves picks are very good, I second those.. here are mine

[k]inneys picks

el cheapo >$50
GF4MX (any)

low end $50-$125
TI4200 8X 128MB (AGP 8X models have the faster memory, same as the 64MB models)
Radeon 9600SE

mid range $126-$200
Geforce FX 5900 Non-Ultra (includes SE and XT models), many include free copy of Call of Duty

high end $201-$300
Radeon 9800 Pro

el supremo $300+
Radeon 9800XT

PCI recommendation
GF4MX (any)

I recommend a PCI recommendation from both leading GPU manus for those in need of one and an "el cheapo" category.. or best card under $50.

I dont think leaving out a PCI recommendation is intelligent.
I also think a "uber-cheap" (under $50) category would hurt, even if its just a GF4MX as I recommended.

My elcheapo and el supremo categories include those "just looking for the cheapest damn thing I can get my hands on that works at all" people... and el supremo keeps those informed when they have too much of daddy's money.

I dont like the "mid/low end" and "mid/high end" hybrid categorys.

It should be clean and accessible.

Not convoluted and confusing at a glance.

----

Exactly, and also 16X Fragment AA is nice while it's the only one doing it (for another month or two? <A HREF="http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/d/rds182/simpsons/homer/whooowho.wav" target="_new">WooHoo</A>! :cool: ).

I would deifintely say it's not for the average gamer, but neither is the Volari.

I do hope that that Surround View from ATI DOES lead to surround gaming, but I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, since ATI still hasn't confirmed MSI's statements yet.

Still hoping for an RS480+R423 combo will give me 3 LARGE resolution surround Morrowind! <A HREF="http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/d/rds182/simpsons/homer/YUMM.WAV" target="_new">AAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhHHH</A>!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
After thinking about it, I dont know if Volari really deserves to be on there with the state of their drivers but I guess if they have something that fits in the low end category...

Parhelia should be on there regardless.

Maybe along with my above list kind of like the PCI recommendation there should be a specialty category

specialty as in desktop graphics (2D quality) and mention of surround gaming.

maybe we should include a short workstation GPU section for professionals such as rendering professionals.
Though NV would sweep that category it would be worth adding in for a tragically uniformed 3d artist/renderer.
edit- if you are comparing between the most common, affordable ones that are the best choice (ATI/NV)

----
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 02/02/04 01:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I let your $120-200 recommendation slide (conveniently omitted the R9600P I see).

But seriously the Quadro do not sweep the professional workstation category, it's even more card/application/setup dependant than gaming.

Heck look at MAYA. Version 4.X runs far FAR better on the ATIs, but version 5.X runs better on the nVs. Workstation cards woiuld require a good description of their strengths because even the Wildcat series from 3Dlabs has it 'momments' and is still the only HIGH-HIGH end solution for supremely large 3D resolutions with their very large memory sizes (up to 512mb on their current cards and 400-something on their older yet still very very powerful Wildcat IV eries).

Main thing is to be brief with the Workstations, point them to some balanced reviews (there are many out there) and then move on. Most people aren't looking for them, but for those who are ignoring any line would be as bad as the mainstream gaming market where all the lines have their strength; well still looking for XGI's strengths.

It's really up to others I'm just throwing out my suggestions. I will always pimp the Matroxs when appropriate, much to GW's boredom it appears :wink: , so I'm not too worried that they won't get their day in the sun, since I don't see any anti-matrox people here like we have for the other cards, and matrox fanbois tend to be fairly reserved about the current line, as most people can tell.

Oh well whatever, time to sleep, a very long day of hosting, and a nice sum of money to soon be in my pocket thanks to the PATs.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I let your $120-200 recommendation slide (conveniently omitted the R9600P I see).
I just dont think its the better choice than the 5900. Thats cool witcha isnt it? :cool:
Its debatable but I just dont see it..
I think I was very fair and honest in my selections.. dont you?

Come on Apey!

I just think that for certain price points, certain cards are a fairly clear winner.
Namely my midrange pick that you protested, and the high to 'el supremo' picks.
Low end might be much more of a argument but I included two very good cards from both of the leaders.

But seriously the Quadro do not sweep the professional workstation category, it's even more card/application/setup dependant than gaming.
I beg to differ.
Overall, from the Quadro FX 1000, to the 2000 and the 3000 we have choices for nearly all price categorys that fills nearly everyones needs.
I understand you would protest but I really do feel that they are excellent in that market, esp since they cover many price points and all of the variants are 'good stuff'.
<A HREF="http://www.hardwareaccelerated.com/content/products/nvidiaquadrofx/index.php" target="_new">Short synopsis pretty much summing up my view better than I can put into words, but it doesnt include the high end 3000 model</A>

I dont want to argue over workstation graphics as I dont really have an incredible depth of knowledge.
But from what I have watched in that market for years is that the NV stuff is priced right and performs very well.
So to pick an overall concise choice, I'm down.

I will always pimp the Matroxs when appropriate
YAWN!

:wink:
No they have good stuff, as I see NV for 3d workstation graphics, I see Matrox for the 2D desktop publishing field. Its just the way to go, period.

I dont necessarily believe in 'being fair' and having to have an ATI AND NV in every category. But I think my picks are about as honest as [k] gets.

I know it would pain some of you to see the precious 9600Pro/XT trounced out of that guide for midrange like yesterdays garbage, and I know I wont get enough of you to agree with me... but I put the bullet in the gun for the 5950 as well.

I think the including the 5950 would be a "courtesy" addition to the guide, just as the 9600Pro/XT is vs the 5900s.
To please the fanboys essentially.

2 frames.

----

I think I was very fair and honest in my selections.. dont you?

Come on Apey!
The recommendation is fair the category is not IMO.

The break down of your categories favoured the nV products, and I guess since you can get an R9600 for under $125 then THAT would be the exclusive $125 and under winnder, forget about the SE model and the GF4ti. And for $200 and under the R9800 is the clear winner. So it really depends on your view of the situation. I think the FX5900SE is respectable, but when the R9800s go for $199, if you make the category wide enough like you did above, then the FX5900SE and FX5900 both take a back seat. But then again it's not like we're going to reach agreement on that. If you went bu groups of $50, then the under $100 would goto theGF4ti, the under $150 would go to the R9600Pro, and under $200 would be the FX5900SE/5900 under most situations, and under $250 would be the R9800PRO. My statement about letting it go was the convenient category of $50-125.

I beg to differ.
Not surprising really.

Overall, from the Quadro FX 1000, to the 2000 and the 3000
Conveniently omitting the Quadro 500 I see. I guess you want to try and overlook it's crap price/performance. The T2 is a far more capable card at the same price range.

we have choices for nearly all price categorys that fills nearly everyones needs.
Like I said, that depends on those needs, the Quadros are not good at everything, and ignoring that is simply blinded whatever you may call it. :wink:

I understand you would protest but I really do feel that they are excellent in that market, esp since they cover many price points and all of the variants are 'good stuff'.
Somewhat true, but their prices are much much higher than their competition so one again price/performance can also play a role.

The link you provided is little better that PR, with wildly generalised statements.

However read more actual reviews and tests and see how varied the results are.

This review (one of the best out there) from 3D chips shows a much different picture than yours, in fact they have a NICE graphic at the end to illustrate it.

<A HREF="http://www.3dchips.net/content/review.php?id=63&page=1" target="_new">http://www.3dchips.net/content/review.php?id=63&page=1</A>

Note one of the statements in the conclusion:

<i><font color=purple>With a look at SpringMark, Maya hardware rendering and 3ds max (DX9) the FireGLs from X2 to X1 stayed unbeaten. The Z1 was even faster than the Quardo 3000 in 3ds max. Also fast - the 3DLabs VP cards: with Maya they rendered fast and showed a lot of reserves in SprinMark. But we noticed weakness with ViewPerf and SolidWorks’ SPEC benchmark. With the Maya SPEC benchmark they range in the center field.
</font color=purple></i>

Looking at THG's own recent review;

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030916/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030916/index.html</A>

There is the following statement/section;

<font color=purple>Conclusion: NVIDIA Performance Leader, ATI More Performance For The Money </font color=purple>

And those aren't the only reviews that indicate as much, and I'd trust them more than those empty statements from that other site. Did they even run any benchmarks? Seems like regurgitated PR IMO.

nV does lead in many benchies I don't dispute that, but like I said it's alot more setup/app/model specific, and the prices actually favour ATI more often than not.

As for the rest, the FX5900/5900SE is a courtesy really.

To keep it simple, let's return to <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/vga_card_guide-01.html" target="_new">LARS' definition</A> of bottom end (2 subclasses under $100 and $100 to $150), mainstream ($150-$300) and entusiast ($300 raching up to $500 [didn't take into account that some cost more than that with packages]).

So that would leave us with 4 categories with the winners being;

0<$100 = GF4ti
$100<$150 = R9600PRO/XT
$150<$300 = R9800PRO
$300<$500+ = R9800XT

I would've liked to have mentioned the FX5900SE, but really the categories don't permit it. To bad really, because it used to be worth mentioning, but unfortunately it's not priced low enough to make the list.

Yep, I see it only fitting to have the pricing match LARS' list to keep things consistent. Really it's the only fair way to do it. :tongue:

pauldh

Illustrious
Yup, I like the 4 categories and I agree with your choices. 3 would definately be too few. I can agree with the 5900se being a good value, but now that the 9800 Pro's are as low as $223, they need to lower the 5900se to 9600XT prices to convince me they are a best in class buy.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
You know what? no more aruging, both of u send me all 4 of those top of the line workstation card for me to benchmark NOW!! CHOP CHOP NO TIME TO WASTE!
i think the market is divide up like this
"i dont give a !@#$ about video cards, i'll just get a cheapo one" (GF FX5200/ MX400/maybe Ti4200)
" I wanna play games but i can't afford much"(Ti4200, 9200, anything non pros)
"WOOT! i got money to blow on a video card but i'm not stupid to spend more than 200$ for a piece of Silicon"(9600 series 5700series 5900 series 9800 series)
"you know what i'm just Fing rich, so i'll just get the best there is"(the high end stuff)

120% nVidia Fanboy

Granted I'll agree with your breakdown, but just add to the last one. I have money now, but may not in the future and want a card to <b>Hopefully</b> last me more than a year or two (even if I have to play at 640x480 later), and I just got my tax receipt and I have nothing else to spend it on that would bring me as much joy, pride, or bungholios as this card.

My section (or the ones that describe me) would be the last two (except in CDN $ that's $300), and also add for me "I wonder what this would do". I will likely bleed coin for the R423 if I feel it is worth it and does play longer term.
But the R9700/9800 series weren't for me, which had less ot do with price than fiting my needs (heat and power).

In the end not everyone will be happy, but as long as we've got it covered to some extent then it's all good. As for my original recommendations. Remember that that was specifically for the R9800. It does extend to alot of the other lines, but I would nock down one or two based on their lack of focus on the mid-level line, and conversley there are some who do a better job on their lower end line.

I'm cool with it all, but I don't wanna see any wasted bias in either the picks or the categories, everything's gotta be supportable, even if I don't agreee with it (which is the way some things go).

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
My statement about letting it go was the convenient category of $50-125.
Wha??
I didnt mean anything to be "convenient", you must really think I am quite the trickster. I just picked numbers that make SENSE....
I figured low end woudl go up to $125 because its not much money, but it wouldnt be midrange. Not quite.

Also, where can I get a new 9600Pro for $125 and a 9800Pro for $199?
I did just find a 9600 Pro for <b>$145</b>, located on newegg.
The cheaper ones on pricewatch are all the powercolor 9600 Pro <b>EZ model</b>, I recall reading about that one and its not a true Pro.

And the cheapest 9800Pro I recall seeing recently was about $230 at newegg.

Regardless, I believe my choices are fair and balanced.

Not surprising really.
Cant have one guy dictating all the policy around here right?
You're not ALWAYS correct Ape! :wink:

Conveniently omitting the Quadro 500 I see. I guess you want to try and overlook it's crap price/performance. The T2 is a far more capable card at the same price range.
I didnt purposely omit it.. damn dude.
For workstation, instead of going into depth as we did with the gaming cards I just picked an overall winner.
Generally speaking, you need a gfx design card... NV has you covered at any price range with more often than not performance that beats the competition.
Its a good overall suggestion, and frankly one of the few companies you can safetly do so.
I'm starting to repeat myself on this one, so I'll drop it. You know my stance on workstations.

I suppose if I had to I could put it this way, between either NV or ATI to pick an overall workstation champ or better choice, I would pick NV. Most everyone would.
Without going into each individual price range, I simply dont care.. we'll be lucky to get the gaming cards reorganized properly without an ATI slant.
Thats what I'm here for, make sure NV gets their fair cut! :smile:

But..
The link you provided is little better that PR, with wildly generalised statements.
I was using generalized statements myself. I dont think that they are incorrect conclusions, generally speaking.
If you and the rest of the boys want to argue about individual price ranges for workstation gfx that is your deal. I just think that NV certainly deserves their damn credit in that market.
Fo shizzle.

Using THG to prove a point is ridiculous. You of all people remember when they recommended the 5600. Their credibility has been sucking the floor for quite some time.
I think you are showing some ATI bias my old friend.

[k]inneys picks

el cheapo >$50
GF4MX (any)

low end $50-$125
TI4200 8X 128MB (AGP 8X models have the faster memory, same as the 64MB models)
Radeon 9600SE

mid range $126-$200
Geforce FX 5900 Non-Ultra (includes SE and XT models), many include free copy of Call of Duty

high end $201-$300
Radeon 9800 Pro

el supremo $300+
Radeon 9800XT

PCI recommendation
GF4MX (any)

0<$100 = GF4ti
$100<$150 = R9600PRO/XT
$150<$300 = R9800PRO
$300<$500+ = R9800XT

Those categories in yours (the 2nd one for the bystanders), are terrible.

And I'm going to tell you why.
First, doing 0-100 is crazy. People many times need the "cheapest thing possible that does the job at all".. hence my 'el-cheapo' >$50 category.
Recognizing that, it should be noted in the guide that if possible the 'low end' is really the place to start if at all possible.

And 100-150 is NOT midrange. 100-150 really isnt much of a RANGE at all!
AHEM, A $50 PRICE RANGE???? WTF?
And that is not the same as >50 because 100-150 is right dab smack in the middle of everything with a $50 variance. While >50 category represents the bottom of the barrel, and people often look for those cards.

150-300 is a MUCH TO LARGE of category.
Period. You know how those cards are priced.. and theres too much room for fudging there.
Besides that, I dont know of anyone who says "gee I want a video card that is between 150-300"
You are twisted if you believe so.

Thats just the oddest way of creating categories.. completely illogical from a buyers standpoint.
The midrange ($126-200) is the most important range for manufacturers.
Under $200 is the "golden range".
Dude, 150-300 is silly. Especially when the "midrange" (or basically under $200, such as the card you yourself own), sells the most and should be taken look at with the most care.
That can only be done with accurate, and reasonable pricing categorys.

Most people say that the breaking lines are above $200 first, then breaking $300.
Just as mine does.
Those are the psychological barriers and financial.
There is no denying that.

LARS list was drawn up without thought and you only like it because it shines a good light on ATI. Thats apparant from the tone in your post... because you actually had the nerve to assume I somehow created my categories "conveniently".
When its YOUR PARANOID mentality that created that atmosphere in this thread.

Mine is fair and makes actual sense.
You're making claims that I purposely setup my price ranges to knock out ATI cards when between the low/mid/high ranges when both have the same amount of both ATI/NV in the categorys!!!!
I suppose I should have never presented my true, fair and balanced opinion because your the one with all the buddies around here that can play the political game of 'friends' and agree with you even though my price list is even to the dumbest person much more intuitive than Lars.

I dont care about the workstation argument, I dont care about what cards you put in the guide... I really don't because its going to look ridiculous as it does right now anyway.

But I firmly believe my price brackets make 100% more sense than the one you support from THG.

----

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Hey guys, thanks for posting your opinions. I've started writing buyers' guide for CPU forum, so the update maybe delayed (1/2 days).

This time, it's going to be a minor update (just rearrange cards with same old ranges based on updated price). When NV40/R420 comes, we will have lots of new card. Then I may think about completely reworked guide.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Attention to detail helps...

Also, where can I get a new 9600Pro for $125 and a 9800Pro for $199?
Re-read, I said R9600 and R9800. No pros until LATER.

<font color=purple>..I guess since you can get an R9600 for under $125 then..</font color=purple>
<font color=purple>..And for $200 and under the R9800 is the clear winner. ...but when the R9800s go for $199.. </font color=purple>

Mention of the PROs come later with different price tags, <i><font color=purple>..the under $150 would go to the R9600Pro, and under $200 would be the FX5900SE/5900 under most situations, and under $250 would be the R9800PRO..</font color=purple></i> and even later with even more different price grouping, omitting the FX5900 as the R9600 was omitted.

And I find it hard not to think there was intent with the following statement made at the end, directed at whom I wouldn't hazard a guess :evil: ;
<font color=purple>I know it would pain some of you to see the precious 9600Pro/XT trounced out of that guide for midrange like yesterdays garbage...</font color=purple>

Statements like this make the selection of 'convenient' categories questionable.

I won't mention it further because last time a dsicussion ensued over misquoting something it didn't end well for either of us. I'll leave it at that. I stand by the sections, they can be devided as anyone wishes, but statements like that last one were simply inflammatory at best. I will not be drawn in to waste more time on it, I've said my piece on that.

I didnt purposely omit it.. damn dude.
I didn't say you did, but fine. Simply put, any mention of workstation cards with a glossed over A-OK for all Quadros cannot go by without a caveat that the Quadro FX500 sux rocks and in at least the price performance category there is a better offering from ATI in the T2.

The problem with simply leaving it to FireGL vs Quadro, omits 3Dlabs, whom I've mentioned many times as a great specialty TOP-TOP end solution that even outpaces the Quadros (not sure how the Wildcat IV would do against an FX300 though, the last one tested was the 2000, but at best it would be close I woudl think). The VP series isn't bad, it has it's functions too. Look at <A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/profcards/3dlabs-wildcat-vp990pro.html" target="_new">THIS</A> Digit-Life review, whcih shows the VP990 in a great light versus both ATI and nV.
Like I said, it's VERY system/application/card specific. People buying workstation cards don't usually look for performance across a very wide range of plaforms and applications, most of them build application specific rigs that may run 2-3 different applications at best. Sure the casual desginer/animator might use many different apps, and even gaming with his card, but they also aren't the consumers of a Wildcat IV, or FX3000 or GL X2-256. They are the purchasers of the T2, FX500 or second hand 1000 or VP6XX or 8XX, etc. Or even more likely the Soft-moded cards.
Generalized statements about workstation cards simply ignores the basic fact that they are good at specific things, and there is no 'TOP' card, except to benchmarkers and reviewers. Most people say, Well I spent $500-1000 dollars on this APP, and I'm not upgrading it, which card would be best suited for it. They don't care if in some other app it sux or rox.

My point is it would be better to point out the truely sucky ones, and say which ones aren't worth the money, or direct people to good reviews, and have them decide for themselves, or simply mention in the buyers guides, that these cards aren't for gaming, the difference is build quality, drivers, and usually dual DVI, since that's the most common questions we get abou them. "Uh would a Quadro FX2000 get me more Bungholio marks or would a FireGL X2-256 make Halo play better? IF anything those are the people we want to educate in such a generic buyer's guide. Including that neither the FireGL 8800 nor the FX500 are worth the money might also be a good extra.

Using THG to prove a point is ridiculous. You of all people remember when they recommended the 5600. Their credibility has been sucking the floor for quite some time.
I think you are showing some ATI bias my old friend.
I'm not saying use the review (which is the biggest problem), I specifically pointed out that if one ones to monkey with the current divisions in the Buyer's
guide, the THG version would make things even worse for your recommendations. Why pick $125, why not $150? Why even change it. The current list in the Buyer's guide works, and adding the 5900SE/XT and cheap FX5900 plus the R9700 and R9800 would fit within the current guidelines.

Those categories in yours (the 2nd one for the bystanders), are terrible.
I didn't say they were good, if you reread the post you'd see I was making the same point as above. BTW, remember I didn't make up these categories, but oviously you misunderstood why I linked to the THG VGA Buyer's guide, it was to show exactly how screwed up that kind of thinking is.
Funny how you get all worked up about it, and want to show me how screwed up it is, when that's exactly my point. Rememebr I did NOT make up those categories, I simply placed the current leaders inside the premade categories simply to poke fun at your list.

AHEM, A $50 PRICE RANGE???? WTF? And that is not the same as >50 because 100-150 is right dab smack in the middle of everything with a $50 variance.
Well I don't see the $75 range you had as being better, but like I said, I didn't pick the categories, I was just showing you how impractical they can be, but thanks for getting all worked up while proving my point.

You are twisted if you believe so.
Seriously relax, re-read, breathe, re-read, and then calmly think. And try not to resort to the 'you're twisted I'm not thing' that got nowhere fast last time.

You can stick with your divisions, I just disagree with them, completely and utterly, that's why the example.

My preference... (but hey my original thought is the way it is in the buyer's guide now, so I kinda like that one too, even if the card in it aren't as current [but that's the way it is])

<$50 (BTW >$50 mean over $50) which would be the pieces of crap that most people should spend more and get a GF4ti or just get an integrated chip. An MX nor an R9200SE is a good choice, waste of freakin' fundz under any condition.

$50<$100 = GF4ti

$100<$150 = R9600Pro

$150<$200 = FX5900SE/XT (the rare FX5900), R9700 and R9800. All depending on what is in your local stores.
But I would personally recommend the ATI over the FX for reasons of pixel shader strangth.

$200<$250 R9700/9800Pro

$250< R9800XT.

You can devide them up 4 ways from sunday and everyone will find a hole in the others. The problem is that the R9600Pro is a great buy at under $150, and the FX5900SE is a great buy at under $180, and the R9800 is a great buy at under $200, but the thing is every time you push the evelope a couple of bucks better things appear. That's why there needs to be more than 1 per class.

LARS list was drawn up without thought and you only like it because it shines a good light on ATI.
No I liked it because it proved my point, Re-read. And my point was that your list was composed to.... how you say; <i>Thats what I'm here for, make sure NV gets their <b>fair</b> cut </i>?

because you actually had the nerve to assume I somehow created my categories "conveniently".
When its YOUR PARANOID mentality that created that atmosphere in this thread.
I guess the R9600 comment was simply meant to be unbiaased, sure.Whatever. You can start ascribing it to me, but lines like the following;

<font color=purple>Cant have one guy dictating all the policy around here right?
You're not ALWAYS correct Ape! </font color=purple>

Dosn't contribute much, and it definitely changes the tone of the thread.

Mine is fair and makes actual sense.
Or so <b>you</b> think. But it is your list so I would think you would back it.

I have no problem with the current breakdown of prices in the Buyer's guide. Neither makes more/less sense IMO.

I suppose I should have never presented my true, fair and balanced opinion because your the one with all the buddies around here that can play the political game of 'friends' and agree with you even though my price list is even to the dumbest person much more intuitive than Lars.
Now who's paranoid?
Look I didn't punctuate my post with an invective you did.

Personally I let the original slide, I new you were being nV centric obviously. But your workstation comments, from someone who now says they don't know enough about it were always the issue, and the only reason I commented, the price divisions I don't care about because I think few people care how it's devided as long as it's clearly divided and with good reason. Look back at the comments and see the progression yet again.

But I firmly believe my price brackets make 100% more sense than the one you support from THG.
Well that would be misquoting me, but I woudl agree yours is better than LARS', but I wouldn't support it anymore than his. I don't agree with yours because for the price of those 128mb GF4tis you list you get a far better card for a few bucks more, but your price list omits the R9600Pro, whcih is still one of the better price/perfromance cards out there along with the FX5900SE and R9800. Even a $50 per category division would be better representative. And I doubt you'd notice that your categories are missing some cards even as they are now.

I don't care how they are divided up. I suggested they be divide more last time, and they were. Whether or not they should be again depends more on someone being able to sell that argument to CoolS and Spitfire, personally I don't think your division will do it. But hey, I could be wrong, because as you so kindly point out... "<i>Cant have one guy dictating all the policy around here right? You're not ALWAYS correct Ape! </i>"

At least I'm not alone in that respect, I have my friend and foes to keep me company.

Cool!

Thanks again for the efforts!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
you dont need a buyer's guide for CPU spit, its P4 2.6C or AMD 2500+ for everyone then P4 3.2C VS AMD 64 3200+ if u want high end, anything else, its either crap or too expensive

120% nVidia Fanboy

You're forgeting the G5! :tongue:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Who needs the G5 when u can have PRESUX (prescott)

120% nVidia Fanboy

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, I speak for myself only. But I can explain why I felt Grapes classes were very good.

I build systems in my spare time. It's fun and addicting. My customers are almost all word of mouth customers. Probably at least 1/3 of these systems are for people that could care less about gaming. This under $50 category you mention is true. But most people who own these under $50 cards are not gamers, and frankly don't even know that there is a piece of hardware in their system called a video or Graphics card. They instead get stuck with those cards because that is what Dell and the large oems throw in their sytsems. So for these customers, I explain that it is good to have a seperate graphics card rather than integrated, as you have the option to upgrade if you later need more 3d power. But for email, internet, word processing, no need to spend more than around $50 on a decent card. As simple as this sounds, it goes over many of their heads and they just say, OK, sounds good. Anyway, that's why I do not really think of this as a class, because for these people, basically any old card will do. On a tight budget, I put have used Radeon 32DDRs, GF2 MX, GF2Ti, GF3Ti200, Radeon 8500le, etc.

Anyway, this is a graphics card forum, so lets forget about those type cards and focus on the cards that people on this forum would actually want to buy. I am staying out of workstation GPU's as that isn't my area of experience. I am mostly concerned on what cards fit my customers budget when their needs aren't met by any old card (sub $50).

I have found that most casual gamers and people who are former Dell/gateway/Compaq owners, don't really want to budget more than $100 on a video card. Although they do want better gaming performance than their old computer. Honestly, some people cringe when you mention an upgrade to a card beyond that range. GFti4200 has been my choice for a while for these people, but the Radeon 9600 non-pro may soon become my choice as I can see value in DX9 support over framerates for many people. Some people don't take kindly to the fact they can't run Nature, or see thing in games on friends systems that theirs can't show. I want them to feel good about their new system and the Radeon 9600 non pro might just be the best card in their price range to make their eyes light up.

Then there are definately people who wouldn't spend $200, but want more speed than Ti4200's. The Radeon 9600Pro/XT and FX5900XT is a great choice for these people. Honestly I have had people say that what can i get for $150 or for an extra $50 to help me in games. or they say how much more do I have to spend to step up from your basic system? I used to use Ti4600's for those people, but now 9600 pros fit them perfectly. A step up to the XT is fine for some, especially if a HL2 coupon and small speed increase is worth a few bucks to them. The next ones have been the $200-300 class, closer to the lower limit. These people want high end systems with no lag, but are smoart enough to not buy the latest and greatest card for twice the price. Radeon 9500 Pro, AIW9700 pro, Radeon 9800 non pro's are some of the cards I put in those systems. But now what could be better for these people than a $223-$250 Radeon 9800 Pro?

I haven't dealt with anyone willing to pay for the $400-$500 top cards. And i would advise against it if they did. Just as I sway them from the top cpu also. But these people are building their own systems, ordering alienware or Falcons, and not having me build them for them.

So huge post here, but seriously from my own experiences, and looking back specifically over the past 2 years, my personal classes based on my customers and my own LAN machines too, have been 1) non gaming - doesn't matter much <$60 2) casual (or spare) Gamer about $100, 3) midrange $150, and 4) high end $200+. And i must say a 5)$300+ class must exist for those who do want the top performance. As I said, the first class is for non gamers and non enthusiasts, so it can be left out, getting us to 4 current gameable classes.

Hence my current recommendations are:
$50 and under - whatever I have in stock that can save the non gamer money.

$100 Ti4200 8X 128MB's, Radeon 9600 non pro
$150 Radeon 9600pro/XT
$225 Radeon 9800 Pro

"Best at any cost" Radeon 9800XT (wish I had these customers as I'd be throwing in a spare HDD and benchmarking through the night.)

If someone wanted to stay under $200 or just wanted a Radeon 9700 Pro, 9800 and I could get a good deal on one, I would definately not argue, although I definately say once you hit that price range right now, it makes sense to step up to the Radeon 9800 pro as it is a steal now for top notch performance. But I'd have no problem recommending a FX5900XT if that is what someone wanted. I am not a fanboy as my current LAN here has more NVidia's than ATI's on it, but except for a Ti4200 and FX5900XT, I wouldn't recommend NVidia right now. That may change come May.

Sorry for the long post, it's contagious. :smile:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Wow that was a long reply.

LOL
Fair enough ape. Just try to keep these guys presenting a fair presentation.
Even tho I am a NV fanboy and think their entire line fits anyones needs :smile: (it did shape up nicely in the 2nd half of '03), I dont want our guide to look like all the morons out there who simply write off NV as "unbuyable" and not to be considered vs its ATI counterparts because that simply is not true.
It <b>was</b> true, but their compiler release was a major success...
and SUPPOSEDLY everyone was waiting for that until they passed judgement on NV..

Yet we have seen that was the fanboys plea to make up a 'legitimate' excuse to bad mouth NV.
Everyone doubted they could get the improvements that they did.
They got them and many continue the rhetoric.

I've noticed to slowness to adapt in this forum from many (I dont include you in those people). The 9800NP seemed to take forever to get popular appeal over the 9700NP (not to brag but I was critical in this), and I (along with Cleeve) made the assertions that the 5900NU/XT/SE is on par or trumps the 9600s at the price point its being offered at.
Its like a good part (R300) gets released and the stigma that the competition cannot compete prevails... even when they are.

Anyway thanks for sort of supporting my pricing scheme.
I really do think it makes more logical sense considering how the companys price the lines. And how consumers look at purchases.

And my last post was not intended to be inflammatory. Maybe I was worked at the moment.

This made me laugh

But hey, I could be wrong, because as you so kindly point out... "Cant have one guy dictating all the policy around here right? You're not ALWAYS correct Ape! "
I was just joking. It might have not been a knee slapper, I admit. :smile:
Apologies.

----