Dell 1703FP Monitor problem

eb

I have been using this Monitor successfully with the DVI input for some
time.
A short while ago when switching on, the only message on the screen was:
"In power save mode, press any key or move mouse."
Well, neither action made any difference.
I swapped the input to Analogue on the Monitor and my Video Card, (ATI
Radeon 7500), and all worked OK.

On testing the Monitor with no Inputs connected, the little color window
appears and moves around the screen, in both cases, Analogue & Digital,
as it is supposed to do.
So, I changed the Video card, and the results are exactly the same.
Works OK in analogue, but when the digital is connected, the old message
appears, about power save mode.

Don't know what else to try.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi,
Perhaps I can help. I bought a Dell Dimension 8300 in April 2004
(GeForce FX5200 - in AGP slot, 3.06Ghz P4, 1GB Ram) with a 17" 1703FP
Ultrasharp Flat Screen monitor. The DVI worked perfectly out of the
box (for 3 weeks) until one day I moved the computer upstairs. Then
exactly like your monitor it said it was stuck in Power Saver Mode.
It never worked again with DVI. Luckily it did have a VGA analogue
connection which to this day I am using. It seemed a shame I had to
use analogue when my monitor was 'capable' of DVI.
I contacted Dell support (Call centre in India) but they didn't know
anything about it. Judging from my previous experience with Dell
support I decided to cut my losses (phone bill/time/patience) and
live with it and just enjoy my new PC.
Well anyway I have since scoured the internet to see if others have
shared the same problem. Who knows, some good sole (and by some
miracle, Dell) might have posted a fix.
A kind Dell technician on IHATEDELL kindly informed me that it was a
known issue and there was a fix for it. Unforatunately I wasn't able
to get the files. You'd think it would have been posted in the Dell
forums if it was common knowledge with the techies, but hey, why
admit a problem/fault with your hardware (it might hurt sales)? I
wasn't able to obtain the file - a firmware update so again I gave up
and just enjoyed my new PC.
Recently I'd been thinking of buying a new graphics card. I'd bought
the best components I could afford at the time and had deliberately
compromised on the graphics card with the intention of upgrading in
the future. I realised I'd better check if my monitor could work in
DVI mode as I'd have to find a card which worked with VGA. So I
phoned Dell Support and spoke to a very helpful tech (yes they do
exist, even in Dell). It turns out there is a problem but it could be
either the monitor or the FX5200 and by-the-way if it is the card
you'll have to consult the manufacturer. Please see this link:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=33721
I suggest you try this fix. It didn't work for me but it might work
for you.

When I rang I was a month out of warranty. If you are under warranty
I'd try that fix by requesting the files from Dell, then ring and ask
for a new graphics card (if supplied with the original purchase) and
then ask for a replacement screen.

Today I became the proud owner of a Sapphire X800 XT Platinum graphics
card and guess what, the monitor is still stuck in Power Saving Mode.
I will be replacing my screen as soon as I can afford it!

1) There is clearly a problem with DELL branded Flat Panel monitors
2) A large number of people have the problem
3) Your monitor may never work with DVI

What I have learnt from this experience is that Dell is reluctant to
admit problems with its products. They are not proactive in finding
solutions unless enough people kick up a fuss about it and I believe
they know a large number of these monitors will never work with DVI
and hope to get away with it. In the future I will build my own
computers. I know my issue as a customer is no concern to a large
corporation like Dell. Unfortunately the people who buy their
machines for home use are also the people who work in IT and make
major purchasing decisions. I know where I will be buying my servers
from next :twisted:

Hope this helps you. I remember the frustration I felt.

By the way, you might want to check the rating on your Power Supply
before buying a new graphics card. This site might be interesting
too:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1441803

Russell