Sign in with
Your question

MS DOS

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2010 9:02:47 PM

Although I am new to posting here I have been a frequent visitor to toms hardware for valuable information. Now I have a question of my own.

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit installed on my new build. I pluged in a usb floppy disc and formated a floppy to run DOS. I booted off the floppy and what not but found that many of the command prompt commands from XP and windows seven did not work. Also I cannot exit and return to the bios and boot from a different location. I have to manually shutoff the power.

The DOS version read "windows millenium 4.90.3000" which I understand to be from windows me.

My first problem as listed above is few of the commands work, can someone direct me to a directory with the commands for this OS.
Secondly When running this dos I cannot access anything from my C drive, only the dos floppy and other floppies I insert. The whole reason Im messing around with dos is so I can access my files without loading up windows. Is this posible?

Thanks.

More about : dos

a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2010 9:48:43 PM

Why? I f you want to mess with your files without windows then play with a linux live disk. still Why?
m
l
June 22, 2010 10:20:49 PM

DOS won't read the NTFS file system used by Windows 7 , if you really, really want to go ahead with this then check out NTFS4DOS.
m
l
June 22, 2010 11:40:07 PM

The reason there are many commands missing is because you have created a recovery disk for Windows 2000. Instead of a full copy of DOS (which had to be installed and I seem to remember spanned several floppies) with a full set of utilities, the recovery disk is watered down to have only the functionality required to fix a busted installation of Windows. In most cases (in my experience) this is navigation, file manipulation, file recovery, and sometimes formatting tools (I'm not sure if network is supported). I am yet to find a watered down version of DOS that includes fdisk.

Here is a list of DOS commands with descriptions:
http://www.computerhope.com/overview.htm

RE shutting down, DOS was always just a power button click type shutdown because computers didn't/couldn't automatically turn off with their mechanical power buttons. There is a shutdown command for windows xp and newer - shutdown /p will turn off as if you'd gone start -> shutdown, or pressed the power button once (on most machines). As far as I know, there is no way for any OS to 'exit' and go back to bootloader selection. It's called a bootloader because it loads at boot (after POST and hardware scanning). If you could access your NTFS drive and windows folder you could possibly manually boot the system, but I have no idea what the commands/files are for xp, vista or 7 or if it's even possible on newer OS's (as they don't require DOS to boot like older versions did).

After all this information, I'd have to say that you'd be much better off using a light linux distro to do what you want. The recovery version of DOS you have has no conventional applications (except maybe "EDIT" the text editor if you're lucky) so will not be able to open any files that require an application. Moreover, windows win32 applications will not run in dos (you'll get an error saying "this application can only be run inside of Microsoft Windows" or such). With a light linux distro though, you'll get all the basic of windows (internet, documents, file browsing) and the ability to open and edit a large number of files, with a GUI, and it'll load in less time than windows (granted your computer isn't steam powered).

I would recommend using the netbook edition of Linux Ubuntu. You can install from inside windows (no messing with partitions) and boot as a full OS from your harddirve. The latest versions of Ubuntu have full support for NTFS too (previously it was read-only). There are masses of free applications (downloadable through the program manager) ranging from media players and games to photo editing suits. When you are bored with the whole thing you can uninstall from within windows just how you'd uninstall any other program, and there is no mess to clean up.

If you are looking for boot speed, keep in mind that (usually) the faster something boots, the less functionality it will offer.
m
l
!