Sign in with
Your question

Question about 2 older graphics cards...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2004 11:23:48 PM

I have been mixing and matching parts from several PCs (some non-functional) in order to try to build at least one machine that functions properly, and I am trying to determine which of the following video cards is the better card.

The first card is a GeForce 2 GTS with 32MB of RAM and an AGP 4x bus.

The second card is currently in a non-functioning machine given to me by a friend. Since I have no documentation on the card and I have not yet installed it in a functioning machine to see what information Windows might provide about it, the only information that I have on the card is what is printed on the label on the card - Radeon 7000 with 64MB of DDR RAM (It is also an AGP card).

I was under the impression that my GeForce 2 card was about a year older than the Radeon card, and combining that with the fact that the Radeon card has double the memory, it would seem to be a forgone conclusion that the Radeon card is the better of the two. However, I was looking at some of the older versions of the VGA charts on this site, and the ones that included a Radeon 7000 generally showed that card performing worse than most of the GeForce 2 cards. The charts I was viewing were around 2 years old, however, so I thought that maybe the Radeon 7000 listed there was a different class (memory, etc.) than the one I have.

As you might be able to tell already, I have only a moderate (at best) grasp of video cards, plus I haven't really followed what has been going on in the video card industry or what new developments have come along since I bought my GeForce 2 card, which was probably around 2 or 3 years ago.

Anyway, my actual question is: Should I remove the GeForce 2 card that I described above from my primary machine (which is only a PIII 866 mH with 256 MB of RAM) and replace it with the Radeon 7000?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

Flying Burrito
February 2, 2004 11:44:14 PM

Keep the GF2 & dump the Radeon 7000. The 7000 doesn't even have hardware T&L, so it's no surprise that it performs worst.

-----
Saay, you look really beautiful. Mind if I take a sniff of your butt-hole?
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2004 12:08:57 AM

No, the GeForce2 GTS was a high end card about 2 years before the 7000 was released as a super low-end card. It's a newer version of the Radeon VE (Value Edition), which was a cut down version of the original Radeon.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 3, 2004 12:27:02 AM

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much for the help.

Flying Burrito
!