dual boot XP and Win 98se question

I have an XP professional computer. I also have a Window 98 se computer that
I am having some problem with so I just swapped the drive to my XP. So now I
have 2 separate drives with two separate operating systems. Both drives
works properly. Problem is when computer boots up it always do so with XP. I
would like to have the option of both operating system. Can someone suggest
how to edit my boot file below so I can dual boot?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

--
http://QLiner.com

The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.
3 answers Last reply
More about dual boot 98se question

    stewart allen wrote:
    > I have an XP professional computer. I also have a Window 98 se computer that
    > I am having some problem with so I just swapped the drive to my XP. So now I
    > have 2 separate drives with two separate operating systems. Both drives
    > works properly. Problem is when computer boots up it always do so with XP. I
    > would like to have the option of both operating system. Can someone suggest
    > how to edit my boot file below so I can dual boot?
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

    It can't be accomplished in the manner you're attempting.

    If your C: drive is formatted using the FAT32 file system, MS-MVP
    Doug Knox has kindly provided clear instructions:

    Install Windows 98 after XP is Installed.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    Otherwise:

    The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x/Me and WinXP
    would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

    C: Primary FAT32 Win9x/Me/Legacy Apps
    D: Extended NTFS WinXP/Modern Apps

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
    size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
    applications.

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
    disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
    utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

    Install Win9x/Me first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
    D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
    directory. When you subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify
    "D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
    asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
    partition. The WinXP installation routine will automatically set up a
    Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
    readily edited from within WinXP. NOTE: If you elect to place
    Win9x/Me on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as
    FAT32.

    This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
    placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
    of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
    second operating system on the second hard drive.

    It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
    applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
    formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
    also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
    placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
    program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
    however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
    such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
    uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
    installation data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Another way would be to use a boot manager (I use BootIt Next Generation
    which is also an excellent partition imaging program.)

    "stewart allen" <inexpensivepcs@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have an XP professional computer. I also have a Window 98 se computer
    >that I am having some problem with so I just swapped the drive to my XP. So
    >now I have 2 separate drives with two separate operating systems. Both
    >drives works properly. Problem is when computer boots up it always do so
    >with XP. I would like to have the option of both operating system. Can
    >someone suggest how to edit my boot file below so I can dual boot?
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >
    > --
    > http://QLiner.com
    >
    > The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.

    kabil

    "stewart allen" wrote:

    > I have an XP professional computer. I also have a Window 98 se computer that
    > I am having some problem with so I just swapped the drive to my XP. So now I
    > have 2 separate drives with two separate operating systems. Both drives
    > works properly. Problem is when computer boots up it always do so with XP. I
    > would like to have the option of both operating system. Can someone suggest
    > how to edit my boot file below so I can dual boot?
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >
    > --
    > http://QLiner.com
    >
    > The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.

Windows XP Computers Dual Boot