Ti4200 is causing motherboard to FAIL?

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
A cousin installed a BGP Asylum Ti4200 video card (128 mb) into an ASUS N Force 2 motherboard which had a 32 mb on board GPU. The rig runs WIN 98. After installing the Ti4200,The Win 98 splash screen showed vertical lines and the system eventually 'crashed'. The dealer who sold the mobo and rig (but NOT the Ti4200) says that the video card is "too good for the mobo" and is trying to charge my cousin $50 for some mobo alteration to make the mobo "compatible" with the Ti4200. I've never heard such an explanation before and what could really be the problem either hardware or software? I thought the Ti4200 would operate well with the ASUS N-Force 2 mobo and am afraid for him having returned his rig to the dealer. Thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, the video card is fine for that board. He should go into safe mode and delete all display adapters from device manager, then uninstall the driver from control panel. When he restarts the computer it should default to 640x480 and 60Hz, then he can load the video card driver again.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Thats one dodgy dealer...tell your cousin to not buy any more stuffs from him. :evil:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, HIS Radeon 9500Pro