AVG message-- what does this mean??

Do you want to allow AVG E-Mail Scanner to act as a server ?

Not sure what this means. I just have a single home computer.

Do I answer NO??

MB
12 answers Last reply
More about message mean

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > Do you want to allow AVG E-Mail Scanner to act as a server ?
    >
    > Not sure what this means. I just have a single home computer.
    >
    > Do I answer NO??

    That's ONE of the reasons I quit using AVG and went to Avast. If you
    had read the EULA you clicked YES to, when you signed up for the
    current version, there are many things you signed up for that I don't
    want any part of!! They can also supply your personal information to
    anyone THEY can sell it to for 10 years, whether you keep the service
    or not. Some said they may have removed that, but I'll never go back
    to an AVG site again to check.

    Tom J

    Tom:

    I understand what you are saying, but you haven't answered my question.

    I just don't know what this means.

    Mel
    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> Do you want to allow AVG E-Mail Scanner to act as a server ?
    >>
    >> Not sure what this means. I just have a single home computer.
    >>
    >> Do I answer NO??
    >
    > That's ONE of the reasons I quit using AVG and went to Avast. If you had
    > read the EULA you clicked YES to, when you signed up for the current
    > version, there are many things you signed up for that I don't want any
    > part of!! They can also supply your personal information to anyone THEY
    > can sell it to for 10 years, whether you keep the service or not. Some
    > said they may have removed that, but I'll never go back to an AVG site
    > again to check.
    >
    > Tom J

    Do you happen to have Zone Alarm installed, that sounds something that ZA uses as a notification warning. If so, you will need to change some settings in ZA.

    --

    Have a good day,
    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message news:i2OLd.5452$nb5.1140@fe06.lga...
    Tom:

    I understand what you are saying, but you haven't answered my question.

    I just don't know what this means.

    Mel
    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message
    >AVG E-Mail Scanner to act as a server
    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> Do you want to allow ?
    >>
    >> Not sure what this means. I just have a single home computer.
    >>
    >> Do I answer NO??
    >
    > That's ONE of the reasons I quit using AVG and went to Avast. If you had
    > read the EULA you clicked YES to, when you signed up for the current
    > version, there are many things you signed up for that I don't want any
    > part of!! They can also supply your personal information to anyone THEY
    > can sell it to for 10 years, whether you keep the service or not. Some
    > said they may have removed that, but I'll never go back to an AVG site
    > again to check.
    >
    > Tom J

    The antivirus program has an engine that picks up your email before you
    download it, scans it and then feeds it to your email program.
    It's completely normal.

    MB_ wrote:
    > Do you want to allow AVG E-Mail Scanner to act as a server ?
    >
    > Not sure what this means. I just have a single home computer.
    >
    > Do I answer NO??
    >
    > MB

    ED:

    Does this mean I should answer YES since I do want it to scan the email?

    MB
    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > The antivirus program has an engine that picks up your email before you
    > download it, scans it and then feeds it to your email program.
    > It's completely normal.
    >

    > MB_ wrote:
    >> Do you want to allow AVG E-Mail Scanner to act as a server ?
    >>
    >> Not sure what this means. I just have a single home computer.
    >>
    >> Do I answer NO??
    >>
    >> MB

    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in

    > They can also supply your personal information to
    > anyone THEY can sell it to for 10 years, whether you keep the
    > service or not.

    What personal information would that be then?

    "Euan Kerr" <aaargh@invalid.jp> wrote in message
    > "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in
    >
    >> They can also supply your personal information to
    >> anyone THEY can sell it to for 10 years, whether you keep the
    >> service or not.
    >
    > What personal information would that be then?

    I didn't read any further when I saw that to find out. I would assume
    he ask name, address, phone number, mailing address and email address
    to send unlock code to. Like I said, I don't trust that kind of
    individual when he ask for that kind of agreement. I was not glad to
    see it happen because I liked the product. Now that I've used Avast, I
    like it even better.

    Tom J

    > ED:
    >
    > Does this mean I should answer YES since I do want it to scan the email?
    >
    > MB
    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> The antivirus program has an engine that picks up your email before you
    >> download it, scans it and then feeds it to your email program.
    >> It's completely normal.
    >>

    >> MB_ wrote:
    >>> Do you want to allow AVG E-Mail Scanner to act as a server ?
    >>>
    >>> Not sure what this means. I just have a single home computer.
    >>>
    >>> Do I answer NO??
    >>>
    >>> MB

    FWIW, I have AVG and ZAP, and AVG scans the e-mail just fine, and it has
    never even asked for server privileges. Long ago I used Norton AV, and it
    never asked for server privileges either -- so I have never answered YES and
    I have never been asked to.

    Ma

    > "Euan Kerr" <aaargh@invalid.jp> wrote in message
    >> "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> They can also supply your personal information to
    >>> anyone THEY can sell it to for 10 years, whether you keep the
    >>> service or not.
    >>
    >> What personal information would that be then?
    >
    > I didn't read any further when I saw that to find out. I would
    > assume he ask name, address, phone number, mailing address and
    > email address to send unlock code to. Like I said, I don't
    > trust that kind of individual when he ask for that kind of
    > agreement. I was not glad to see it happen because I liked the
    > product. Now that I've used Avast, I like it even better.
    >
    > Tom J

    Try downloading AVG Free and see what information you have to
    supply. Zilch.

    Ma No said the following on 2/1/2005 7:51 PM:
    > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>ED:
    >>
    >>Does this mean I should answer YES since I do want it to scan the email?
    >>
    >>MB
    >>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>The antivirus program has an engine that picks up your email before you
    >>>download it, scans it and then feeds it to your email program.
    >>>It's completely normal.

    > FWIW, I have AVG and ZAP, and AVG scans the e-mail just fine, and it has
    > never even asked for server privileges. Long ago I used Norton AV, and it
    > never asked for server privileges either -- so I have never answered YES and
    > I have never been asked to.
    >
    > Ma

    Is it set to scan only incoming mail? AVG will scan email in both
    directions and this may be where the server privileges come into play.
    In order to scan outgoing email your mailer hands off the email to AVG
    and AVG handles the the interaction with your ISPs SMTP sever.

    --

    Kirk

    "Screw the planes, take a train", Me

    "'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
    > Ma No said the following on 2/1/2005 7:51 PM:
    >> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>ED:
    >>>
    >>>Does this mean I should answer YES since I do want it to scan the email?
    >>>
    >>>MB
    >>>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message

    >> FWIW, I have AVG and ZAP, and AVG scans the e-mail just fine, and it has
    >> never even asked for server privileges. Long ago I used Norton AV, and it
    >> never asked for server privileges either -- so I have never answered YES
    >> and I have never been asked to.
    >>
    >> Ma
    >>

    > Is it set to scan only incoming mail? AVG will scan email in both
    > directions and this may be where the server privileges come into play. In
    > order to scan outgoing email your mailer hands off the email to AVG and
    > AVG handles the the interaction with your ISPs SMTP sever.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kirk

    On my computer AVG scans both incoming and outgoing mail, does not ask to be
    a server, and is not checked off as a server in ZAP settings.

    Ma

    Ma No said the following on 2/2/2005 10:19 AM:
    > "'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ma No said the following on 2/1/2005 7:51 PM:
    >>
    >>>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message

    >>>FWIW, I have AVG and ZAP, and AVG scans the e-mail just fine, and it has
    >>>never even asked for server privileges. Long ago I used Norton AV, and it
    >>>never asked for server privileges either -- so I have never answered YES
    >>>and I have never been asked to.
    >>>
    >>>Ma
    >>>

    >>Is it set to scan only incoming mail? AVG will scan email in both
    >>directions and this may be where the server privileges come into play. In
    >>order to scan outgoing email your mailer hands off the email to AVG and
    >>AVG handles the the interaction with your ISPs SMTP sever.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Kirk
    >

    > On my computer AVG scans both incoming and outgoing mail, does not ask to be
    > a server, and is not checked off as a server in ZAP settings.
    >
    > Ma

    I just looked and it is not set in mine either. So my idea is out the
    window. :-)

    --

    Kirk

    "Screw the planes, take a train", Me