Hello. I am a newbie to this site. I have been browsing the posts in several
categories and have noticed that "MS MVP" accompanies many of the responses.
MS must mean Microsoft. but what does the MVP mean? Most Valuable Person
should apply based on the help you all give. I am amazed at the extent of
your knowledge base and I was just wondering if you folks are trained by
Microsoft to offer help and support, or is this a hobby (like the people on
the eBay help forums)? Part of my question is out of curiosity, but I am
also wondering about the advice given. How can someone judge if the response
given is legitimate and safe, incorrect and damaging, or just given with
malicious intent? Thanks. Carolyn

Carolyn;
MVPs are not trained by Microsoft.
MVPs are volunteers like you who help others with an endless variety of
problems.
MVPs do not have an exclusive on good suggestions, there are also many who
are not MVPs who also freely help others.
More here on the MVP Program:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

How to judge?
Watch for a time.
MVPs are not guaranteed to always have the correct answer but they are
generally recognized as consistently helping to solve problems or answer
questions.
See for yourself and see who is more helpful.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

C Kraft wrote:
> Hello. I am a newbie to this site. I have been browsing the posts in
> several categories and have noticed that "MS MVP" accompanies many of
> the responses. MS must mean Microsoft. but what does the MVP mean?
> Most Valuable Person should apply based on the help you all give. I
> am amazed at the extent of your knowledge base and I was just
> wondering if you folks are trained by Microsoft to offer help and
> support, or is this a hobby (like the people on the eBay help
> forums)? Part of my question is out of curiosity, but I am also
> wondering about the advice given. How can someone judge if the
> response given is legitimate and safe, incorrect and damaging, or
> just given with malicious intent? Thanks. Carolyn

Volunteers - most likely in the field of system administration or
application development or something along the lines of most of the
questions they answer.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
and
http://mvps.org/

As far as your last question... Read my signature - know that you cannot -
always trust, but confirm.

--
<- Shenan ->

Congratulations, Shenan..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Congratulations, Shenan..

Thank you, Mike.
I appreciate it. =)

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi Shenan, I guess I'm missing something, but I don't know what you mean by
"read my signature". Would you explain, please? Thanks, Carolyn

C Kraft wrote:
> Hi Shenan, I guess I'm missing something, but I don't know what you
> mean by "read my signature". Would you explain, please? Thanks,

Read the part below my name.. Essentially - the advice here is generally
good, but as with ALL advice in life you should NOT take it at face value..
Do a little research on your own to verify what was told to you before
implementing the advice..

In other words - before blindly doing something you do not understand, make
an attempt to understand what you are about to do.

--
<- Shenan ->

Good advice. I did read that, but I didn't connect it with your signature.
I guess I was looking for some special posting lingo I, like when someone
says "bump" to move up a message. Thanks, Shenan. Carolyn

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> C Kraft wrote:
> > Hi Shenan, I guess I'm missing something, but I don't know what you
> > mean by "read my signature". Would you explain, please? Thanks,
>
> Read the part below my name.. Essentially - the advice here is generally
> good, but as with ALL advice in life you should NOT take it at face value..
> Do a little research on your own to verify what was told to you before
> implementing the advice..
>
> In other words - before blindly doing something you do not understand, make
> an attempt to understand what you are about to do.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Carolyn

In Shenan's case, not so much a signature, more the small print.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Carolyn
>
> In Shenan's case, not so much a signature, more the small print.. :)

*grin*
How true.

--
<- Shenan ->