Jd

I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't seem
to be one of those.

Do you have an exact location where Start Menu 2 appears in your registry?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uoWsInNPFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
JD <Erehwon@Example.com> hunted and pecked:
> I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
> Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't
> seem to be one of those.

Jd

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder
> Do you have an exact location where Start Menu 2 appears in your registry?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uoWsInNPFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> JD <Erehwon@Example.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
>> Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't
>> seem to be one of those.

Thank you.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eS2r5dUPFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
JD <Erehwon@Example.com> hunted and pecked:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
er
>> Do you have an exact location where Start Menu 2 appears in your
>> registry?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uoWsInNPFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> JD <Erehwon@Example.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
>>> Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't
>>> seem to be one of those.

It's your start menu sort order. Start Menu is classic style and Start Menu2 is normal style.

"JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message news:uoWsInNPFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
> Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't seem
> to be one of those.

Jd

Thank you. I assume that when Program shortcuts are added, deleted, or
moved--or programs installed or uninstalled--those changes have to be
recorded in both places in the registry, so that if one switched between
classic and XP style, the contents of the Start Menu would be identical.
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It's your start menu sort order. Start Menu is classic style and Start Menu2
is normal style.

"JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
> Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't
> seem
> to be one of those.

It's not the contents, it's the order of the contents.

"JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message news:uznOvfUPFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thank you. I assume that when Program shortcuts are added, deleted, or
> moved--or programs installed or uninstalled--those changes have to be
> recorded in both places in the registry, so that if one switched between
> classic and XP style, the contents of the Start Menu would be identical.
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> It's your start menu sort order. Start Menu is classic style and Start Menu2
> is normal style.

> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>>I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
>> Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't
>> seem
>> to be one of those.

Jd

Not sure I understand what that means.
However, I am curious as to why there appears (in the registry listing of
Favorites) a folder that was deleted six months ago.
Also, can I assume that it is safe to just delete it from the registry?
It's not the contents, it's the order of the contents.
"JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
> Thank you. I assume that when Program shortcuts are added, deleted, or
> moved--or programs installed or uninstalled--those changes have to be
> recorded in both places in the registry, so that if one switched between
> classic and XP style, the contents of the Start Menu would be identical.
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> It's your start menu sort order. Start Menu is classic style and Start
> Menu2 is normal style.
> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>>I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
>>Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't
>>seem
>> to be one of those.

>> Not sure I understand what that means.

To elaborate what David said, the actual shortcuts present as .LNK files in
the hard disk, but the sort order for these shortcuts (appearing in Start
Programs ) are maintained in the said registry key.

>> a folder that was deleted six months ago

I'd simply ignore that as it does not affect the performance anyway.
Deleting that should not cause any harm also.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Not sure I understand what that means.
> However, I am curious as to why there appears (in the registry listing of
> Favorites) a folder that was deleted six months ago.
> Also, can I assume that it is safe to just delete it from the registry?
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> It's not the contents, it's the order of the contents.
> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you. I assume that when Program shortcuts are added, deleted, or
>> moved--or programs installed or uninstalled--those changes have to be
>> recorded in both places in the registry, so that if one switched between
>> classic and XP style, the contents of the Start Menu would be identical.
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> It's your start menu sort order. Start Menu is classic style and Start
>> Menu2 is normal style.
>> "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
>>>I find this entry in the registry, but I'd like to know where it is in
>>>Windows Explorer. I find Owner, Default User, and All Users. It doesn't
>>>seem
>>> to be one of those.

Jd

Many thanks to all respondents. This ng really lives up to its name. What I
learn from reading of others' difficulties and the helpful advice they are
given is invaluable.