Exedus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
OK I really need some help here guys. The techs where I bought the motherboard are all teenage dorks. I bought an ASUS A7V600 with a VAI chipset. The problem is when I play battlefield 1942. It will run fine for a while. But then the game will freeze and the monitor will go into standby mode and I get it back on. Now I've read about this problem on a few other forums but noboady seems to have an answer. I am using the latest catalyst drivers. Please help.

hippo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it could be heat, but need more info. ie. your system spec and does it only occur during Battlefield?

Exedus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
I'm pretty sure it's not a heat issue. I'm running an Athlon 2100xp and 512MB RAM. Yes the lock ups were only in battlefield, well that and Halo, but those are the only 2 games I play.

I've read that fastwrite can cause problems sometimes? Should I disable it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're the one who bought the VIA chipset, why should anyone help you?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BirdRobin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Wads wrong with VIA chipsets? o_O??

Athlon XP 1800+ 1.52ghz
Gigabyte GA-7VKML
Powercolour R9600pro Bravo @ 480/340
128+256 DDR266
Maxtor 20gb 7200rpm 2mb, WD 40gb 5400rpm 2mb
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Digital

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Garbage, SiS is superior to VIA in every way, and nVidia is superior to SiS with everything but the nForce3 150.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Try downloading the latest 4n1 chipset drivers from via arena, and you may consider making sure your MOBO bios is up to date. Also try disabling fastwrites if you have that enabled in the control panel.

<b>Crash</b>, Via's not great, granted, but they are usually first to market with 'good' stuff. And the nForce3 is a dud sofar in both iterations not just the 150, as many issues as Via's KT400.

I was looking forward to going from VIA to nV or someone else, but now that doesn't seem like the smart thing to do. I will wait for the RS480 to decide which one deserves last place, but this time I don't think it will be Via.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First to market the good stuff? More like first to market a fast chipset that allows your system to crash faster. There's no go reason for the company to exist, the world would be a better place if someone were to bomb the company and steel their assets.

VIA is THE most dishonest company in the entire computer industry, worse than even Creative. Their business practices would put most of their executives in prison in this country.