Unread email message on log on screen

Hi,
Suddenly had a message for the first time on the user logon page that I had
1 unread email message. Opened my email account ,Outlook, but there were no
new emails. How can I get rid of this message. When I hover over message it
shows my correct email address with (1) which I assume to be the number of
messages it thinks I have.

Any ideas on how to get rid of message as it always appears now on logon page.

Thanks for any help you can give.

John
4 answers Last reply
More about unread email message screen

    You can either repair using TweakUI

    Download the TweaUI from XP Powertoys,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx, and
    install it.

    Go to Start | All Programs | Powertoys for XP | TweakUI
    Scroll down to Repair on the left hand side

    In the dropdown box on the right, choose the "repair unread mail count" and
    click repair now

    Or you can remove it altogether, by going to
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, scroll down to Line 100 and
    use the "Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen"

    "FoS605" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Suddenly had a message for the first time on the user logon page that I had
    > 1 unread email message. Opened my email account ,Outlook, but there were no
    > new emails. How can I get rid of this message. When I hover over message it
    > shows my correct email address with (1) which I assume to be the number of
    > messages it thinks I have.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get rid of message as it always appears now on logon page.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.
    >
    > John

    Downloaded TweakUI and disabled as suggested. Worked just fine. Thanks.

    Any idea why it happened in first place?

    John

    "putasolutions" wrote:

    > You can either repair using TweakUI
    >
    > Download the TweaUI from XP Powertoys,
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx, and
    > install it.
    >
    > Go to Start | All Programs | Powertoys for XP | TweakUI
    > Scroll down to Repair on the left hand side
    >
    > In the dropdown box on the right, choose the "repair unread mail count" and
    > click repair now
    >
    > Or you can remove it altogether, by going to
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, scroll down to Line 100 and
    > use the "Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen"
    >
    > "FoS605" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > Suddenly had a message for the first time on the user logon page that I had
    > > 1 unread email message. Opened my email account ,Outlook, but there were no
    > > new emails. How can I get rid of this message. When I hover over message it
    > > shows my correct email address with (1) which I assume to be the number of
    > > messages it thinks I have.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on how to get rid of message as it always appears now on logon page.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help you can give.
    > >
    > > John

    Hi John,

    the reason appears to be a corruption of the
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail key in
    the registry

    "FoS605" wrote:

    > Downloaded TweakUI and disabled as suggested. Worked just fine. Thanks.
    >
    > Any idea why it happened in first place?
    >
    > John
    >
    > "putasolutions" wrote:
    >
    > > You can either repair using TweakUI
    > >
    > > Download the TweaUI from XP Powertoys,
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx, and
    > > install it.
    > >
    > > Go to Start | All Programs | Powertoys for XP | TweakUI
    > > Scroll down to Repair on the left hand side
    > >
    > > In the dropdown box on the right, choose the "repair unread mail count" and
    > > click repair now
    > >
    > > Or you can remove it altogether, by going to
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, scroll down to Line 100 and
    > > use the "Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen"
    > >
    > > "FoS605" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > > Suddenly had a message for the first time on the user logon page that I had
    > > > 1 unread email message. Opened my email account ,Outlook, but there were no
    > > > new emails. How can I get rid of this message. When I hover over message it
    > > > shows my correct email address with (1) which I assume to be the number of
    > > > messages it thinks I have.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas on how to get rid of message as it always appears now on logon page.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help you can give.
    > > >
    > > > John

    Try this:

    "FoS605" <FoS605@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:B838D694-DC9D-4B35-BCB2-0937682BB2CF@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    > Suddenly had a message for the first time on the user logon page that I had
    > 1 unread email message. Opened my email account ,Outlook, but there were no
    > new emails. How can I get rid of this message. When I hover over message it
    > shows my correct email address with (1) which I assume to be the number of
    > messages it thinks I have.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get rid of message as it always appears now on logon page.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.
    >
    > John

Support Email Microsoft Windows XP