Radeon or geforce FX

I'm looking to upgrade from my Gigabyte Radeon 9600 128MB DDR graphics card. I would appreciate any ideas of what to go for.

I've seen a few Geforce FX 5900XT's for good prices.
Is it worth getting one?

Or should I opt to stick with Radeon?

Any recommendations welcome.
71 answers Last reply
More about radeon geforce
  1. What is your budget?

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
  2. About £250 (about $370 to $400)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matt_2000_17 on 02/04/04 04:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. New vid cards due March maybe to May time frame.
  4. For your range, the 9600Pro you have is good enough (i.e., upgrading to anything in your range may not be wise investment). I'll reitterate what HBoss said: new cards coming 'soon.' So you can either get a new one then (your 9600Pro will last you) or a very nicely priced 9800XXX.

5. The question is: what are you upgrading for? Is there a game you have right now that isn't playing to your satisfaction?

Because if you're upgrading for a game that you don't have yet (i.e. Half-life 2), you're wasting your money. Cards get faster and cheaper every month.

If you're upgrading for games you currently own that are running too slow for you, your best bets for the money right now are the GeforceFX 5900XT or the Radeon 9800 PRO.

The 9800 PRO is a bit better, but also a bit more expensive. Either card would offer you a very noticable jump in performance.

6. it ain't a 9600pro

its the lowest of the range
  7. Alright, that changes things...take a look at a 9800Pro, you'll see a difference and won't use your entire budget (unless they cost a lot more in the UK).

8. components are a bit more expensive here.

I can get a 9800pro for about £320 or $550
  9. The reason for my upgrade is that I would like to be able to play HL2 a decent speed. Also I want to play current games better
  10. Go for the 9800 Pro 128. HL2 will run smooth @ 60Fps or more. :) its a very good card and it will be a good chioce considering the upcuming dx9 games.
  11. 9800pro is abit beyond my budget
  12. the 5900Xt is also a very good choice in Price/Fps. Not so powerfull like the 9800Pro but still able to manage the new game very well. in guru3d.com they have made a review and they were quite impressed! Read the review it may help you.
  13. Thanks. That review has really helped.
  14. Thanks to all who helped me. I have now got my new graphics card. A Gigabyte Geforce FX 5900XT.
    I bought it simply because of price. It is performing flawlessly.
  15. sucker!

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
    <b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Jessica Simpson Naked!!!</A></b>
  16. damn im to late, i buy from ocuk.co.uk you could of had a hercules 9800pro with half life 2 voucher ;( but the card you got is still a good one :) heres the link btw, they have very good prices http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/hercules_ati_graphics_cards.html
  17. why?
  18. Coz FX perform horrible compare Radeon in HL2. :evil:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, HIS Radeon 9500Pro
  19. I think you'll find its the low end FX cards that perform badly in HL2. Do your really think valve is gonna develop a game that can only perform really well on ATI cards only? Thats just bad marketing. They would lose alot of money coz those with NVidia cards won't buy the game.
  20. People with FX cards will buy the game regardless.

And yes the initial version performed terribly on FX cards. The only way to get them to perform at par was to lower the quality (that's not really par now is it). It's still playable, but you just don't get the benifits of true DX9.

Now this may all change with the next release or with the use of nV's run-time compiler, however that is yet to be seen. And really we've already been there and discussed that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
  21. I have reason to believe my card will run HL2 perfectly. I am happy with my card's performance and wouldn't consider going back to Radeon at the moment. Of course that could change as newer cards come out, but for the rest of this year I will stick with my Gigabyte Geforce FX 5900XT.
  22. Well it will run it perfectly, just not as fast as a radeon card running it equally perfectly.

In order for it to run as fast, then it has to sacrifice that 'perfectness'.

Striving for perfection with either company will be difficult until the supply surround gaming.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
  23. Maybe I'll OC my TI4200 again. Maybe volt mod it extra kooling. May catch his 5900XT. But what the heck it will not play DX9 Games that well.
  24. IT'll play them, and likely close to as well, but it will not have the benifit of all those shiney FX, errr... I mean effects. :wink:

25. LOL FX dog. What was supposed to be a great card fx died.
  26. BTW, performance in 3Dmark01 has little direct correlation with HL2, or any other DX9 shader intensive games for that matter.

You got fooled into upgrading too soon. Like we've always said. Don't upgrade until the game arrives that you have to play. HL@ is a long way off, by which time you may find that cards that are cheaper than yours just was will far outperform.

But it's not a bad choice. Were you to have said any other game it would be different, but considering your intended targeted game your choice isn't as wise as if it were for COD, UT2K3, Doom]|[, or a myriad of other games.

Can't say this enough I guess; <b>Don't buy a card for a game that isn't even released yet if all your other games play fine!</b>

27. I never originally bought it for HL2. I bought it for current games like Halo, COD, UT2K3 & 2K4.
  28. well dude, valve has officially that they can do great new graphics on ATI cards, that arent possible with nvidia cards

and i dont think new drivers in 6 months will fix that. but, as for NOW, your gffx 5900xt is fast. sure, youll be playing HL2 with good performance.

but so will people who spent half as much money on a radeon 9600xt ;)

*and prolly with higher detail settings*

-------
    <A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
  29. So Phial, I'm a little confused, maybe you can help. The guy had an okay card but wanted an upgrade. The 5900XT was released to go up against the 9600pro. So he spent as much as a 9800pro to get one. I thought that the FXXT was not as good as the original 5900np.
  30. Oh man, hope he didn't spend as much as that Hercules 9800 Pro/ HL2 coupon link you sent. What a shame if so.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt
  31. Where did you get that price from?? £320 for a 9800 Pro is a bit of a rip off. Go to <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CTV9800PRO128MB&cat=Video+Card" target="_new">http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CTV9800PRO128MB&cat=Video+Card</A> and you can get one for £225, and I have seen them lower, but usually from less reputable sites.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>
  32. Why? It's obvious why. You bought a card that is not as good as the competition at playing games. You spent your hard earned money on a product that is going to lag behind a Radeon, and you spent a lot of money.

I call that a sucker.

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
    <b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Jessica Simpson Naked!!!</A></b>
  33. Quote:
    Do your really think valve is gonna develop a game that can only perform really well on ATI cards only? Thats just bad marketing. They would lose alot of money coz those with NVidia cards won't buy the game.

Do the words 'Electronic Arts' and 'The Way It's Meant to be Played' ring any bells for ya?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
  34. He didn't spend a lot of money. the 5900XT is a very good choice. Performs in most of the time better than a 9600XT and it is cheaper, at least here in Portugal. It is abs capable of handling every game of the moment and it WILL play HL2! The 9800Pro is of course much better but it was not on the price range. Why do you have to be rude and unpleasent?
  35. I did not spend as much on the FX 5900XT as I would of on the 9800pro. I live in the UK and the prices a more expensive here than they are in the US. A 9800pro here costs around 300 to 400 UK pounds (about $550 to $650). The reason for this is because we have to pay purchase tax on any product that we buy in this country. I got the FX for 170 UK pounds(about $300 to $400). A big difference in price there.
  36. I think you've made a good choice considering your margin!
  37. thanks for you help here. I don't think they understand my situation here.
  38. i agree
  39. I bought the card because of my budget. I DO NOT have the budget to buy a 9800pro. I'm not bothered about having the fastest graphics card with the best memory, speed and all that other stuff. All I wanted was a card that could run my current games better and run future games at a decent level of detail and speed.
  40. Don't let 'em get to you. Some people are a little zealous about Ati, is all.

If it starts to bug you, just play any game and enjoy how well the card handles it.

41. Thanks. I will.
  42. Have you checked the prices recently for 9800pros??????? there down to £180 (WWW.OVERCLOCKERS.CO.UK) (SAPPHIRE)now thats astonishingly low!!! where are you getting this 300-400 pounds malarky from i also live in the UK btw!!!!!!

My system:
    AMD Athlon Barton 3000xp+
    ATI Radeon Hercules 9800pro 128mb
    WD 120gb 7,200rpm 8mb cache.
    512mb twinmos pc3200
    ASUS a7v8x-x Mobo.
  43. Ok, i over estimated. But, I don't want a 9800pro, I have no interest in them. I am happy with the card i got. Why can't anyone accept that??

Also, i don't trust overclockers.
  44. You bought the best card you could afford. Now enjoy it.
  45. I am enjoying the card. I'm just trying to make people understand why i got the 5900XT. Perhaps, i shouldn't bother anymore. Besides, it was my choice at the end of the day.

I'm starting to wish i never posted the question now.
  46. Im not disputing that, the fx5900 range is good i was just woundering where you were getting the prices from so i could help out!!!

My system:
    512mb twinmos pc3200
    ASUS a7v8x-x Mobo.
  47. sorry if i seemed annoyed. I should of checked the prices before I said anything
  48. Lol dont worry, like hardware boss said just enjoy the card :)

My system:
    512mb twinmos pc3200
    ASUS a7v8x-x Mobo.
  49. If you have no interest in the Radeon 9800 series, then why even ask about the Radeons vs the Geforces. Obviously you'd made your mind up about the radeons.

The reason people are irritated by your statements is becuase they fly in the face of good judgement. You comments about HL2, and then saying you're not interested in it simply seem like double talk now that you've made your choice. Why bring up HL2 if that is not the reason you wanted it? With your old card you could play any current game, with your new card, same thing, but the only future title you commented on is the one it DOESN'T do well. Like I said, if you were talking about D]|[ then no one would care. For your initial stated goal it's not the right choice, overall it's not a 'BAD' choice. Like I said before.

And yes your pricing is very skewed as you can see from tombance's link.

Hey it's not our money, like I said before.

Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Gigabyte Radeon Graphics