michael11699

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
I'm sure this is about to raise a few eyebrows: Nvidia best ATI in their testing. Overclocking all the cards in the tests, they must have bored?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1955</A>

Let the threads fly!

arussell

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
Ya I saw that too, surprising considering how many people suggest ATI but by that review, nVidia pretty much killed ATI, it could be that nVidia cards just OC better while ATI is better "stock," who knows, I haven't seen any decent stock reviews of the newest cards.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
lol they did 3 game test ... wow.....how interresting...

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, you have to have a better understanding of video cards to make recommendations.

AT a cursory glance this one review does seem to put Nvidia in a superior light. But there are some factors that are relevant:

1. They have only benchmarked 3 games: Unreal Tournament is a "Way it's meant to be played" Nvidia optimized title; Halo was developed on Nvidia Hardware for the Xbox; and Jedi Knight is an OpenGL title, which Nvidia is classically better at performing in.

This very small sampling of titles will lean towards Nvidia superiority.

2. Image quality. Anyone whose seen 4xAA on Nvidia hardware VS 4xAA on Ati hardware knows it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. It's glaringly obvious that Ati has a much better AA solution.

3. Shaders. These titles are older (except for Halo, but that's based on the Xbox version made years ago), and none of these games really stress the Radeon's Shaders (which upcoming titles will), which are more powerful than their Nvidia counterparts.

etc, etc... You can see this review isn't really for joe shmoe out there who is looking for the better card, it's for the hardcore overclockers who are interested in seeing which cards have more overhead.

Nvidia makes good cards mind you, I'm not dissing them; the Ti4200 and 5900XT are definitely in the best-value-for-the-cash category, but there's always more to video cards than raw benchmark numbers.

If there wasn't, we wouldn't need to do anything other than compare 3dmark scores to see which cards are the best.

Compared to <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/sapphire-9800xt.html" target="_new">THIS</A> review by Xbit, Anand's review is only useful for noise levels and temperature readings.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/sapphire-9800xt.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/sapphire-9800xt.html</A>

Xbit's review shows a more balanced picture with the ATI leading in more of the modern games.

I don't read Anand's graphics card reviews since they were given permission by nV to exclusively release results before the everyone else's NDAs ended for the FX5950 series.
Only a truely CLOSE relationship gets you that kind of favouritism.

And yes only 3 tests? Hah! ridiculous! They also used a 'generic' UT2K3? The differences between Anad's review and Xbit's make me question what UT2K3 test they were using, especially with AA/AF on.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
if you read the recent review by Tomshardware, about the mobility 9700 you would have noticed something about the UT2003 benches

using the "stock" benches, nVidia cards usually do better.

but using "custom" benches (custom timedemos), the ATI cards dont fall behind, and half they time surpass their nvidia counterparts

what does this tell you? That either the nvidia drivers have been optimized for the stock benches, or they have been recorded to favour said cards

so... that review is crap. anyways, you should never rely on just one site... read EVERY review you can find before buying something.

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
That was pretty biased stuff.

----------------------
PIV 2.4c @ 2.89ghz
1gig PC3200 (512mbx2)
ASUS P4P800
GF3 Ti200 64mb (soon to be replaced)
WinXP Pro
3DMark2001SE: 6309
3DMark2003: 729

michael11699

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
so... that review is crap. anyways, you should never rely on just one site... read EVERY review you can find before buying something.

I agree 100%! That's why I said "this is going to raise a few eyebrows"

And as TheGreatGrapeApe pointed out, I don't trust AnandTech ('A non tech' as I like to call them) either. Did they really thing that this test was going to be taken serious by the hardware community? Maybe so, why else would it have been done, or as I said in my post, they must have been bored. Either that or they were looking to stir some crap up? I don't know.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
we cant say that the fx5950 is a bad card . I think its a great overclocker and it is as good as the 9800xt in his own domain...

Sure i think that the anandtech review is biased but that doesnt make the 5950 a bad card.

Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb pc3200 (3-3-3-2), Asus A7N8X-X

michael11699

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
we cant say that the fx5950 is a bad card
That was never my intention. I have a Gainward 5950Ultra right now and love it! Not in a sexual way mind you :)

Like I asked, why did they conduct this test? I am just very suspect of AT reviews and intentions. I must say that I am glad the fanboys have stayed away, for now.

pauldh

Illustrious
It's not a bad card, just not worth the money. Of course to me no card is worth $500.

But if I were in the market for the best card available and willing to spend close to $500 on it, I'd care less about OC than I would about AA/AF performance and IQ. Reading the test link that APE posted, the 5950's AA?AF numbers are too slow for a $500 card and I'd say the 9800XT is a far better choice for those reasons.

HMMM $500 to spend on the best video card available. Well I could OC a FX5950 to unbelievable clock speeds and break all sorts of benchmark records in Quake 3 arena benchmarking. Or I could buy the radeon 9800 XT and play the future DX9 pixel/shader games with AA/AF and really nice IQ. Not a tough choice? :wink:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

It's not a question of bad card anymore. They are still pretty weak cards under current games, but the drivers have done a hell of alot to make them competitive.

The thing is that these benchies give an incomplete view of the situation IMO. Neither top end card is a 'bad card', but some may offer certain advanatages at certain price points, etc. (just like the FX5900XT/SE does VERY well in it's price range), it's all a matter of balance to me.

I'm just not impressed with the review. So much time spent to obviously make it, yet so few tests.

Oh well, it is useful when used among a BUNCH of reviews, and I will point to it, like I said, for the heat/noise issues. I'm surprised about the noise factor of the FXs considering I have seen video of the R9800XT being louder than the FX5950U, but I've seen stuff from both sides of that issue, Anand just makes it look very different than what I've seen.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
"Neither top end card is a 'bad card', but some may offer certain advanatages at certain price points, "

I dont think XGI offer any good point with his Awesomegra Duo V8.

Well didn't you read the graphic at the top of the page;

"<font color=green>Ultimate Performance, and Unprecedented Quality.</font color=green>"

If that's not a case of deceptive marketing I don't know what is.

It's more like <i>Uprecedented BAD Performance</i> and <i>Asthmatic Performance</i>!

At least the Parhelia is CHEAPER, and Better qualitypicture. And surprise surprise, AA and AF both work on the Matrox card!

I just thank heavens I have something to keep people from matrox bashing. :smile:

Awesomegra to pics your 'puter! - It's like Okra and Guarana in one!

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I heard somewhere that xgi hopped 15% market share by the end of the year....

yea sure maybe in your dream...

Yeah I remember reading that last year too. I think they had better rush that 0.09 card if they expect that, 'cause the current series just isn't going to cut it for those kinds of figures.

Especially now that the word is out. Jeez I really do feel sorry for those early adopters. I wonder how that guy GW posted about is doing now?

Sucks to be a Volari DUO owner who payed full price.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I dont think xgi will survive because they didnt make a lot of profit with their awesomegra card...

Yeah, I'm not sure, I think they have once release left in them, but you're right, even if it's an acceptable solution that is equal to the competition or even slightly better, they will have a tough time recovering from this horrible outing and not going out of business before the end of the year.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
XGI is just typical graphics industry bullsh1t

the paper release - "we have the BESt card, EVER. a 24x4 texture pipeline architexture, with 16 parallel pixel shader engines. our image quality is unsurpassed, and our speed is double that of our competitors"

then the product is released. and guess wat , it sucks

what else is new? im tired of the freaking lies. false advertising should be illegal

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>