Windows Crashes when I install a Virus Checker

Hi,

I have been trying to install a virus checker in my computer (Panda 2005)
and every time that I install it windows crashes completly resulting in my
having to re-install windows.
The system will not enter windows or Safe Mode but keeps re-starting the
computer and the only way to recover seems to be to re-install windows and
all my software, I have had to do this five times so far.
I have had the same problem with Norton, and the last time I tried I took a
backup of the computer state before installing but this had the same effect
when I restored the backup.

Does anyone know a solotion to this?

Ken Paton
More about windows crashes install virus checker

    "Ken Paton" <kenpaton@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been trying to install a virus checker in my computer (Panda
    > 2005) and every time that I install it windows crashes completly
    > resulting in my having to re-install windows.
    > The system will not enter windows or Safe Mode but keeps re-starting
    > the computer and the only way to recover seems to be to re-install
    > windows and all my software, I have had to do this five times so
    far.
    > I have had the same problem with Norton, and the last time I tried I
    > took a backup of the computer state before installing but this had
    the
    > same effect when I restored the backup.
    >
    > Does anyone know a solotion to this?
    >
    > Ken Paton

    I had the same problem with Panda years ago - thus why I never use it.
    Try installing AVG from grisoft.com ( Its free ) and report back. It
    is possible you have a virus that is preventing the installation of
    any a/v product - if thats the case your options are pretty limited -
    I find it much better to wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP ( after
    making a backup of data files of course). You could easily spend more
    time trying to find and delete all the infected files manually.

    Also you should be running a firewall program - I recommend Zone Alarm
    and a spyware scanner or two - I run both the Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    and Webroots SpySweeper - the former is free (for now) and the later
    requires a subscription after 30 days. You could try both of these now
    to see what they find.

    Sultan

Virus Computers Windows XP