Windows Crashes when I install a Virus Checker

April 9, 2005 4:22:27 PM

Hi,

I have been trying to install a virus checker in my computer (Panda 2005)
and every time that I install it windows crashes completly resulting in my
having to re-install windows.
The system will not enter windows or Safe Mode but keeps re-starting the
computer and the only way to recover seems to be to re-install windows and
all my software, I have had to do this five times so far.
I have had the same problem with Norton, and the last time I tried I took a
backup of the computer state before installing but this had the same effect
when I restored the backup.

Does anyone know a solotion to this?

Ken Paton
April 9, 2005 4:22:28 PM

"Ken Paton" <kenpaton@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to install a virus checker in my computer (Panda
> 2005) and every time that I install it windows crashes completly
> resulting in my having to re-install windows.
> The system will not enter windows or Safe Mode but keeps re-starting
> the computer and the only way to recover seems to be to re-install
> windows and all my software, I have had to do this five times so
far.
> I have had the same problem with Norton, and the last time I tried I
> took a backup of the computer state before installing but this had
the
> same effect when I restored the backup.
>
> Does anyone know a solotion to this?
>
> Ken Paton

I had the same problem with Panda years ago - thus why I never use it.
Try installing AVG from grisoft.com ( Its free ) and report back. It
is possible you have a virus that is preventing the installation of
any a/v product - if thats the case your options are pretty limited -
I find it much better to wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP ( after
making a backup of data files of course). You could easily spend more
time trying to find and delete all the infected files manually.

Also you should be running a firewall program - I recommend Zone Alarm
and a spyware scanner or two - I run both the Microsoft Anti-Spyware
and Webroots SpySweeper - the former is free (for now) and the later
requires a subscription after 30 days. You could try both of these now
to see what they find.

Sultan