Something you should know about the R9800SE !!!

The inquirer is reporting <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13982" target="_new">THIS</A> little tidbit about the initial batch of AIW R9800SEs being faster than those currently shipping.

So watch out for reviews extoling virtues that may not be there.

Does that now mean that ALL of the R9800SEs are lesser cards than the R9600XT at stock speeds?

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13982" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13982</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah it's unfortunate man. I like Hercules products alot, but this is pretty bad for them. Not long term, but it does put their first serious black mark on their book for me. Asus now moves just ahead of Herc, and Herc drops below BBA.

OF course to many this will go unnoticed and they couldn't care less because they weren't going to get an SE anyways. They miss what it means when something like this happens.

Hercules will probably continue to make great products, but this mean that they go from like a 97 out of 100 to a 93. Still good, but not as good as before.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does it really matter?

Seriously, most review sites got their hands on versions with 256-bit RAM interfaces. The benchmarks are already by FAR misleading, since most have the specified 128-bit RAM interface (and the newbs are confused since the site says "256-bit" refering to the GPU, not the RAM interface).

So, they are also going "by the book" now on RAM clock. And what does a 4-pipeline GPU with 300MHz 128-bit RAM interface sound like? Radeon 9600 Pro? Ah, but the GPU is clocked much slower. 9600 Pro still wins. 9600XT is nearly down to 9600 Pro price now, so perhaps the 9600XT wins, leaving behind ALL junk SE cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Well that's sorta my point.

We used to hold out a caveat that the R9800SE 256bit was the exception which was better than the R9600PRO/XT, but if those reviews were based on much faster ram than those availible, then we should mention it.

Usually I wouldn't recommend an SE product to anyone, but those early reviews from the likes of HEXUS did show them as being reasonably better than the XT. Now that that's changed that recommendation must change too IMO.