system restore failure and missing progs in start menu

Hi All,

I've got a couple of qustions I hope you can help me with...

Yesterday I noticed that about a half of my programs had disappeared from my
start menu display (no apparent pattern, from recent installs to notepad)
tho' they are still present - and run from - my program files. To try and
correct this I attempted a system restore from the day before, the restore
failed with no reason given, simply that it was unable to restore (the date
WAS available). I tried three earlier dates and these failed too. I've
uninstalled the only prog that I recently installed, no change. I have AVG
anti virus updated daily, good firewall. Anyone got any ideas what might be
going on and how I can fix it? (Running XP pro, 2.6 AMD, 1G ram)

This brings me to my second question, backup! Although my regular files are
backed up OK, my life is run thro' oulook and I'd like to know which folders
I need to backup to have all my email, calendar, contacts and archive. Where
can I find my explorer favourites for backup? Should I consider anything else
for backup? I've got a feeling I might need it soon!!!

Thanks,

Peter

Hi,

To the first question, take a look at these troubleshooting tips.
System Restore Failures to restore
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html

To your second question, it will depend on which version of Outlook
you are referring to.
For question concerning Outlook you should ask this on one of the
Office or Outlook newsgroups.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User