Screen refresh (blinks) every 10 seconds & closes drop-downs

Tags:
  • Windows XP
April 9, 2005 1:52:08 PM

On 'some' of my programs, Outlook Express, Quicken, Streets & Trips, but not
others like Internet Explorer, Word, etc., the screen 'blinks' every 10
seconds and whatever drop-down menu I'm in, will close. This is very
annoying because on a long drop-down list it will pop closed before I'm done
selecting and I have to try and beat the clock to get to where I need to
click before it closes again.

On a program like Streets & Trips, you need to type in the address where you
want to go and that is many times impossible to do before it 'blinks' and
you lose your typed letters.

This only applies to the program. If the I have the program screen not
maximized, I can see that my desktop does not blink/refresh. Again, it
doesn't seem to do it on all programs. I have 1.5 GB of RAM, I recently
wiped and started anew with a fresh hard drive. I've tried multiple
Anti-spyware, adware, anti-virus programs, registry cleaners. Someone
mentioned "Live Update" could be a problem, but I can't find it even being
on my computer.

Any ideas? Thank you.

More about : screen refresh blinks seconds closes drop downs

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:52:09 PM

Jim wrote:
> On 'some' of my programs, Outlook Express, Quicken, Streets & Trips,
> but not others like Internet Explorer, Word, etc., the screen
> 'blinks' every 10 seconds and whatever drop-down menu I'm in, will
> close. This is very annoying because on a long drop-down list it will
> pop closed before I'm done selecting and I have to try and beat the
> clock to get to where I need to click before it closes again.
>
> On a program like Streets & Trips, you need to type in the address
> where you want to go and that is many times impossible to do before
> it 'blinks' and you lose your typed letters.
>
> This only applies to the program. If the I have the program screen not
> maximized, I can see that my desktop does not blink/refresh. Again, it
> doesn't seem to do it on all programs. I have 1.5 GB of RAM, I
> recently wiped and started anew with a fresh hard drive. I've tried
> multiple Anti-spyware, adware, anti-virus programs, registry
> cleaners. Someone mentioned "Live Update" could be a problem, but I
> can't find it even being on my computer.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you.

Do you have the latest hardware drivers for all of the hardware?
(From the manufacturer of the product - not the ones built into the Windows
install or on the CD you got with the product, etc - from the actual (per
component) website of the hardware manufacturer?)

--
<- Shenan ->
April 9, 2005 2:28:04 PM

Yes, I ran DriverMagicPro and have all the latest drivers.
I did try turning off Auto Updates and it didn't change anything.

> Jim wrote:
>> On 'some' of my programs, Outlook Express, Quicken, Streets & Trips,
>> but not others like Internet Explorer, Word, etc., the screen
>> 'blinks' every 10 seconds and whatever drop-down menu I'm in, will
>> close. This is very annoying because on a long drop-down list it will
>> pop closed before I'm done selecting and I have to try and beat the
>> clock to get to where I need to click before it closes again.
>>
>> On a program like Streets & Trips, you need to type in the address
>> where you want to go and that is many times impossible to do before
>> it 'blinks' and you lose your typed letters.
>>
>> This only applies to the program. If the I have the program screen not
>> maximized, I can see that my desktop does not blink/refresh. Again, it
>> doesn't seem to do it on all programs. I have 1.5 GB of RAM, I
>> recently wiped and started anew with a fresh hard drive. I've tried
>> multiple Anti-spyware, adware, anti-virus programs, registry
>> cleaners. Someone mentioned "Live Update" could be a problem, but I
>> can't find it even being on my computer.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thank you.
>
> Do you have the latest hardware drivers for all of the hardware?
> (From the manufacturer of the product - not the ones built into the
> Windows install or on the CD you got with the product, etc - from the
> actual (per component) website of the hardware manufacturer?)
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

April 9, 2005 2:28:05 PM

Jim wrote:
> Yes, I ran DriverMagicPro and have all the latest drivers.
> I did try turning off Auto Updates and it didn't change anything.

I would not trust Microsoft to give me drivers for THEIR OS but others
products - so I would not trust some third party application to tell me I
had the most current hardware drivers for my PC either.

Go to the actual manufacturer's web page - especially for your video card -
and download their latest drivers and install those.

First - how do you know what hardware
you have in your computer? Invoice or if it is up and working now - take
inventory:

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

NVidia Video Card Drivers

ATI Video Card Drivers
http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

Creative Labs Sound Device
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

C-Media Sound Device
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

Then install these drivers. Updated drivers are usually more stable and
may provide extra benefits/features that you really wished you had before.

--
<- Shenan ->