Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell Latitude CPx startup problems

Tags:
  • Dell
  • Latitude
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:53:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I just got a freebie Dell Latitude CPx (500 Mhz) from a collegue at work.
First time starting up was fine, decided to charge it for a bit, as the
laptop hadn't been used for a long time. Now it will only start if I hit the
on/off button about 10-15 times. When it starts through, it's fine. HDD is
recognised, even managed to get wireless networking to work. Battery is
fully charged, I've tried it without anything attached (battery, cd and
PCMCIA device taken out).

The times it doesn't start, it just sits there, grinning at me stupidly,
with only a blinking (DOS-like) cursor. I cannot start from a bootable cd or
get into the Bios (no floppydrive available). The bootsequence is set to
floppy, cd, then hdd. I'm scratching my head a bit at this behaviour. I've
sent it to the corner for now, to think about it's sins, but when it's
allowed back out, does anyone here have a suggestion to improve it's
behaviour...

--
Spete
www.gimmemoney.mine.nu
www.spete.homeip.net

Occasionally, I'll be consistent

More about : dell latitude cpx startup problems

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:53:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Probably need a new CMOS battery......
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:20:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<tdacox@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1107319667.205579.38750@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Probably need a new CMOS battery......
>

And this would probably need a complete stripdown of the PC one assumes?
Anyone know where it's located?

--
Spete
www.gimmemoney.mine.nu
www.spete.homeip.net

Occasionally, I'll be consistent
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:20:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Spete" <cloggyspete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:36cr0qF4tgaa1U1@individual.net...
>
> <tdacox@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1107319667.205579.38750@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Probably need a new CMOS battery......
>>
>
> And this would probably need a complete stripdown of the PC one assumes?
> Anyone know where it's located?
>
> --
> Spete




http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcpxhj/sm...

Page 17 exploded view, Page 39 for CMOS battery replacement instructions -
in .pdf.


Stew
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:39:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D kcMd.13634$qJ3.3342@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>

> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcpxhj/sm...
>
> Page 17 exploded view, Page 39 for CMOS battery replacement instructions -
> in .pdf.

Thanks Stew, I'll give it a bash this weekend, looks like a pig of a job
though, complete disassemble and reassemble.....

--
Spete
www.gimmemoney.mine.nu
www.spete.homeip.net

Occasionally, I'll be consistent
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:39:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Spete" <cloggyspete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:36da6nF4vieveU1@individual.net...
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:D kcMd.13634$qJ3.3342@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>>
>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcpxhj/sm...
>>
>> Page 17 exploded view, Page 39 for CMOS battery replacement
>> instructions -
>> in .pdf.
>
> Thanks Stew, I'll give it a bash this weekend, looks like a pig of a job
> though, complete disassemble and reassemble.....
>
> --
> Spete
> www.gimmemoney.mine.nu
> www.spete.homeip.net
>
> Occasionally, I'll be consistent
>
>


You're welcome. Take your time, have a beer near the end of re-assembly ;-)


Stew
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:hEeMd.13817$qJ3.777@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Spete" <cloggyspete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:36da6nF4vieveU1@individual.net...
> >
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > news:D kcMd.13634$qJ3.3342@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> >>
> >
> >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pcpxhj/sm...
> >>
> >> Page 17 exploded view, Page 39 for CMOS battery replacement
> >> instructions -
> >> in .pdf.
> >
> > Thanks Stew, I'll give it a bash this weekend, looks like a pig of a job
> > though, complete disassemble and reassemble.....
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> You're welcome. Take your time, have a beer near the end of re-assembly
;-)
>
>

Right, taken it apart, all that needs doing now is to get the connector for
the battery off. Apart from using an angle-grinder, is there a proper way of
doing it? Tried carefully with a screwdriver, but no luck. And where in the
UK do I get a reserve battery....

--
Spete
www.gimmemoney.mine.nu
www.spete.homeip.net

Occasionally, I'll be consistent
!