Problems with the PX171

batter

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2002
I am noticing the same problem with my 2nd xp171 (returned the first one) and would like to check if more people have this. After first connecting, it runs great and looks fantastic. Turned off the PC and panel; the next morning the wife turns on the PC (then the LCD) and the thing is completely hosed. Even the boot screen is garbled. It is a combination of snowing, pixel blocks etc.
Connected the thing to different PC's with the same result.
Any ideas/thoughts of what could cause this? Interference from the phone, turning on the PC first? Since it is already garbled during the boot sequence I don't think it has anything to do with XP settings. When the thing did work the refresh rate showed up correctly at 60Hz @1280x1024. This behaviour happens with either DVI or VGA input. VGA works fine with my other CRT monitor.
(video card a ATI 8500 LE).

butters

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I am having the same problem.If i turn the monitor off and unplug it then replug and turn it back on it works normally.What did you do with yours?Is if defective or is this normal on cold startups?

butters

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I submitted a question concerning this on planars support site.Hopefully they will get back to me with an answer.I really love my new monitor except for this one issue.I would hate to have to rma it already.I will update with their reply when they get back to me.

butters

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Planar customer support confirmed that the monitor is defective.Since I just bought it from pcconnections I attempted to get a replacement from them.PCconnections wanted me to eat the return shipping for the defective monitor which I thought was unacceptable.I recontacted planar and they are shipping me a new monitor second day air and are paying for the shipping of the old monitor back to them.
Planar has excellent customer service!

batter

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2002
I gave up with Planar. I rma'd my first one and got the same problem with the second one. Great service from monitordirect, but I ended up getting a (cheap) CRT and will wait a while for my LCD upgrade. Too bad.