TECH: Arctic Thunder Monitor Q

I understand this is a common problem with
these Neotec monitors:

Upon the game startup, the top half of
the screen "flickers" with visible retrace
lines. It can last a few minutes, sometimes
much longer. It seems to last longer as time
progresses.

Any suggestions ?

I had a wells monitor do the same thing in a big buck hunter, it was one of
those digital monitors. The top 1/4 would be expanded and flicker and after
two mins or so it would look normal. It had two bad caps, one of them was
bulging bad at the top. Sounds similar.

Good luck
Trin
"John Dondzila" <pc.john@*verizon.net> wrote in message

> I understand this is a common problem with
> these Neotec monitors:
>
> Upon the game startup, the top half of
> the screen "flickers" with visible retrace
> lines. It can last a few minutes, sometimes
> much longer. It seems to last longer as time
> progresses.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Probably needs a cap kit. There is also a big bipolar cap on the
pincushion board on the side of the monitor that should also be
replaced.

Another thing to watch for on these monitors, as it has happened to
all our Arctic Thunders. One of the three driver transistors on the
neck board will blow, taking all the colors out. You can still see the
picture, but it is very dim. Replace the shorted transistor, and make
sure you put some new heatsink compund on ALL THREE.