Temporary Internet Files folder

I am in the process of taking alot of unneeded files off of my computer.
When I right click on the folder
c:/documentsandsettings/<name>/localsettings/temporaryinternet files and
select "properties" I am shown that I have some 317 folders and some 2.5 GB
of files. Yet, when I actually open the folder, there are only 3 files
there. What is NOT present, that should be, is the IE folder with it's
sub-folders. I know it is there because it appears on anti-virus scans, etc.

Could anyone tell me how I can access this so that I may delete some of the
temporary internet files and create space on my hard drive.
Thank you.

You do not have to *see* the Content.IE5 folder to delete its contents.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.
-----

If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4535636D-F0CD-4383-B759-A9F452D37401@microsoft.com,
ruxpin <ruxpin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am in the process of taking alot of unneeded files off of my computer.
> When I right click on the folder
> c:/documentsandsettings/<name>/localsettings/temporaryinternet files and
> select "properties" I am shown that I have some 317 folders and some 2.5
> GB of files. Yet, when I actually open the folder, there are only 3 files
> there. What is NOT present, that should be, is the IE folder with it's
> sub-folders. I know it is there because it appears on anti-virus scans,
> etc.
>
> Could anyone tell me how I can access this so that I may delete some of
> the temporary internet files and create space on my hard drive.
> Thank you.

Latest posts