Help finding a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizkidalex

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi everyone, I know that there are probably a ton of posts out there like mine but I just wanted to get a more personal response. Here's the deal, I'm a junior in high school right now and I currently have a craptop HP G60T that I got for Christmas 2009... my dad's an IT pro but I guess he just screwed that one up. I'm looking to buy a new computer this summer or fall that will last me through at least 2 or 3 years of college. I'm looking into engineering, as well as computer science and a bit of video editing on the side. And, of course, gaming. I've been through my fair share of brand-name hunks of junk, so the next computer I buy I want to be good.

I'm a student, but I don't travel very much. I was looking at building my own desktop, but being a student I'd rather have a desktop replacement laptop that I can carry with me when I need to. I've been looking at the Origin EON 17S, the iBuyPower 17" Battalion 101, and other laptops in that category, including ones from Alienware, Samsung Series 7, and Asus (Republic of Gamers line). I'd like to move away from my Xbox and play games like Battlefield 3, ME3, Halo 4 (if available) and other graphically intensive games. I also play older games like TF2 and other Source titles, including Garry's Mod. I do play one MMO; EVE Online (it has spaceships...) and it's pretty graphically intensive. I also play RTS games like Sins of a Solar Empire (and Legends of Pegasus, when it comes out.) I want to try games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I can't, and I'm not going to waste my money on Steam until I can play these games.

Of course, my life doesn't revolve around gaming, but the internet and Word are pretty easy to run, so I'm not even going to mention them. I want to be sure that whatever programs I'll need to use in college will work on my computer, so it has to be futureproof enough to last a little while. I've got a budget of around $1500- 2000 to play with, so I'm sure I can find something.

I should also add in here that I'm a bit of an audiophile, and I watch YouTube more than normal TV.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
-Alex

It's a bit early to be shopping around just now.
Both Intel and AMD are changing over to new models, along with new graphics cards from Nvidia.
Ivy Bridge quad core CPUs are already out, along with some of the new Nvidia 6xx series GPUs. Dual core CPUs should be out in June.
AMD's Trinity laptop CPUs should be arriving in the next few weeks.
Future-proofing for school work, home office/home entertainment work is easy.
For gaming? Not so much.

If you're interested in seeing what's available now in your price range - look over the Ivy Bridge (3rd Gen) models from Asus, MSI and Sager/Clevo here: www.xoticpc.com/
XoticPC lets you look at Asus/MSI and Sager options all on one site.

(Origin EON is a Sager/Clevo barebones build and self branded by Origin, same for iBuyPower Battalion)

Status
Not open for further replies.