Help on UDF reader!!

Friends,

Recently, I purchased a Sony Dual-layer DVD burner which came with NERO
buring sofware, and an "updated" UDF reader.

Previously, I had Sanyo DVD ROM & a Sanyo CD burner, using Easy CD
Creator. (I kept the CD burner as a 2nd drive.)

My problem is: of about 100 CDR-W's that were burned using the UDF reader
(that is bundled with Easy CD Creator) at least 50% are "unreadable"
using the UDF reader that came with the NERO software. Does anyone know
of a "work-around" for this problem? Is there a program that will recover
info from CDR-W's?

I have called Sony about the problem - they told me to pound sand - that
there wasn't anything they could do. NERO told me they are aware of the
problem, but there's nothing they can do either. I went to COMPUSA, and
the morons had no clue about recovery software.

And, if you are thinking of suggesting I reinstall Easy CD Creator,
forget it! Installing these two programs on the same computer will lock-
up your system tighter than you have ever seen!

There has to be an easier way!!

Thanks for any and all help!

Fairwinds and following seas,

SCPO
4 answers Last reply
More about help reader

    If the two readers are not fully compatible, you have only one choice if you
    really need the information off of the CD's. Uninstall Nero - install CD
    Creator! Copy what you need to the hard drive. Then uninstall Roxio and
    reinstall Nero!

    BTW: I have both on my computer without any problem.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "SCPO" <SCPO@usn.com> wrote in message
    > Friends,
    >
    > Recently, I purchased a Sony Dual-layer DVD burner which came with NERO
    > buring sofware, and an "updated" UDF reader.
    >
    > Previously, I had Sanyo DVD ROM & a Sanyo CD burner, using Easy CD
    > Creator. (I kept the CD burner as a 2nd drive.)
    >
    > My problem is: of about 100 CDR-W's that were burned using the UDF reader
    > (that is bundled with Easy CD Creator) at least 50% are "unreadable"
    > using the UDF reader that came with the NERO software. Does anyone know
    > of a "work-around" for this problem? Is there a program that will recover
    > info from CDR-W's?
    >
    > I have called Sony about the problem - they told me to pound sand - that
    > there wasn't anything they could do. NERO told me they are aware of the
    > problem, but there's nothing they can do either. I went to COMPUSA, and
    > the morons had no clue about recovery software.
    >
    > And, if you are thinking of suggesting I reinstall Easy CD Creator,
    > forget it! Installing these two programs on the same computer will lock-
    > up your system tighter than you have ever seen!
    >
    > There has to be an easier way!!
    >
    > Thanks for any and all help!
    >
    > Fairwinds and following seas,
    >
    > SCPO

    "SCPO" <SCPO@usn.com> wrote in message
    > Friends,
    >
    > Recently, I purchased a Sony Dual-layer DVD burner which came with NERO
    > buring sofware, and an "updated" UDF reader.
    >
    > Previously, I had Sanyo DVD ROM & a Sanyo CD burner, using Easy CD
    > Creator. (I kept the CD burner as a 2nd drive.)
    >
    > My problem is: of about 100 CDR-W's that were burned using the UDF reader
    > (that is bundled with Easy CD Creator) at least 50% are "unreadable"
    > using the UDF reader that came with the NERO software. Does anyone know
    > of a "work-around" for this problem? Is there a program that will recover
    > info from CDR-W's?
    >
    > I have called Sony about the problem - they told me to pound sand - that
    > there wasn't anything they could do. NERO told me they are aware of the
    > problem, but there's nothing they can do either. I went to COMPUSA, and
    > the morons had no clue about recovery software.
    >
    > And, if you are thinking of suggesting I reinstall Easy CD Creator,
    > forget it! Installing these two programs on the same computer will lock-
    > up your system tighter than you have ever seen!
    >
    > There has to be an easier way!!
    >
    > Thanks for any and all help!
    >
    > Fairwinds and following seas,
    >
    > SCPO

    Maybe ISObuster. It has the function of reading Directcd disks.
    http://www.smart-projects.net/cdrecovery/

    I installed the UDF reader version 5. Now every time I start the computer the
    'Help & Support Center' send a message saying that "there is a driver causing
    instability in the system and was de-activated".

    I tried to update to version 7
    http://www.roxio.com/en/jhtml/xpupdate.jhtml?location=update
    (provided by the 'Help & Support Center')

    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv4.jhtml#udf
    (provided by a Microsoft reference page in Brazil)

    However, I was not able to install since the file requires that Easy Creator
    to be installed.

    For now my question is: How can I remove this driver?

    Alex

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > If the two readers are not fully compatible, you have only one choice if you
    > really need the information off of the CD's. Uninstall Nero - install CD
    > Creator! Copy what you need to the hard drive. Then uninstall Roxio and
    > reinstall Nero!
    >
    > BTW: I have both on my computer without any problem.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "SCPO" <SCPO@usn.com> wrote in message
    > > Friends,
    > >
    > > Recently, I purchased a Sony Dual-layer DVD burner which came with NERO
    > > buring sofware, and an "updated" UDF reader.
    > >
    > > Previously, I had Sanyo DVD ROM & a Sanyo CD burner, using Easy CD
    > > Creator. (I kept the CD burner as a 2nd drive.)
    > >
    > > My problem is: of about 100 CDR-W's that were burned using the UDF reader
    > > (that is bundled with Easy CD Creator) at least 50% are "unreadable"
    > > using the UDF reader that came with the NERO software. Does anyone know
    > > of a "work-around" for this problem? Is there a program that will recover
    > > info from CDR-W's?
    > >
    > > I have called Sony about the problem - they told me to pound sand - that
    > > there wasn't anything they could do. NERO told me they are aware of the
    > > problem, but there's nothing they can do either. I went to COMPUSA, and
    > > the morons had no clue about recovery software.
    > >
    > > And, if you are thinking of suggesting I reinstall Easy CD Creator,
    > > forget it! Installing these two programs on the same computer will lock-
    > > up your system tighter than you have ever seen!
    > >
    > > There has to be an easier way!!
    > >
    > > Thanks for any and all help!
    > >
    > > Fairwinds and following seas,
    > >
    > > SCPO

    CD Recording Software Will Cause Windows to Become Unstable" Error Message
    When You Start Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315345

    The following registry fix automates Q315345
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User