Computer stalls once every once in a while

My computer will just stall for 5-10 seconds about twice a minute. Whenever
it happens, the process System in the task manager is at close to if not 100
CPU. I've tried all the anti-virus software I could think of, but to no
avail. Any suggestions, cause it is really getting annoying.

Hi,

Does the same thing occur in Safe mode?
Have you run spy/ad removal programs in addition to the virus scanning?
Have you done them in Safe mode to limit interference and masking?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone