Intel: Core i5 'Lynnfield' Still on Track for 2H'09

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I am also curious as to whether or not these will have any improvements over the i7.

The i7 has proven to be the most clock efficient, and overclocks like a champ.
The cheapest i7 is $280 right now, and I personally want it. Will we have any reason other than price alone to get an i5?
I'm personally hoping it can exploit the benefits of ddr3 better and have even better clock efficiency.

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Can someone tell me what the Core i5 is? I thought i7 was the "more mainstream" product (Xeon being the top-end). What makes i5 different from i7? How is $500+ "more mainstream"?

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
[citation][nom]freiheitner[/nom]Can someone tell me what the Core i5 is? I thought i7 was the "more mainstream" product (Xeon being the top-end). What makes i5 different from i7? How is $500+ "more mainstream"?[/citation]

Sorry, meant $200+.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Pigbearman[/nom]How many processor cores will the i5 have? Is it still a quad core but smaller? Tri-core? Dual? what?[/citation]
I'm pretty sure i5 is going to be Quad, I could be wrong though.

G

i5 is a toned down i7. Dual channel memory instead of triple channel.

Not sure what other things they took out offhand.

Those prices are too expensive tho.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I would loosely liken the Core i5's/Core i7's to the Pentium Dual Cores/Core 2 Duo's....but in quad-core format.

Obviously completely different chipsets and memory are involved but I'm talking about mindset.

Is that fair?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mrubermonkey[/nom]I have a feeling that this idea of releasing two separate sockets for Nehalem is going to be one of Intel's biggest bad ideas since NetBurst.[/citation]

I think it's certainly an interesting idea. In a way, it allows them to give high performance features to the enthusiast crowd, without having to be as price efficient to cater to everyone. They can use P55 as the gimped, cheaper option meant for budgets, not performance.

I can see it going either way, but the pricing of the i5's has me worried. If they perform aswell as the i7's what's the point? And the 2 most expensive i5's cost as much as the 2 least expensive i7's. What the hell is that about?

cloudNINE

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
i5 initial TDP will be 95w. Come 1st Q of 2010, new i5s will be in the 65w TDP range.

i5 looks to be heading towards energy efficiency. Virtualization is probably at the forefront with these as well.

Can see the day where consumer PCs have a cloud type OS (hypothetical MS OS Virtual Cloud 2)running in the background with a VPC that takes daily snapshots for easy backup and restore (remote restore?). PC vendor customer service utopia.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Why are people asking what memory P55 chipset will support? It won't support DDR2 or DDR3, the processor will support DDR3 though. Chipsets don't have memory controllers anymore for the Nehalem. It's dual channel though, instead of having three channels, which will lower transfer rates, but should also lower latency a little, since dual channel setups have lower latency on the i7.

Probably it will use a little less power, for both the processor and the chipset, so it could be a very appealing platform.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Meh, I don't care whether it's dual channel, I really care more about the actual features and how much speed it truly gives overall. The fact it'll be priced with mobos about ~100 dollars cheaper, and a starting CPU about 80 dollars lower, this might actually be a good Phenom II buster ( provided the performance is all solid )
PCI-E 3.0, honestly, I have never heard of. Sounds like a waste to me, unless you just want to run quad SLI with GTX 395's on x4.... with little stutter. Whatever, they should have full x16 anyways.

vladtepes

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Not interested, I will stick with my C2Duos 'till next generation. I have top GPUS and that's all I care about. 562 US$ for a freakin CPU? What's this, the 90's?

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
It's so obvious.....5 is a lower number than 7.....if you're going to wait for something wait for an 8 core cpu from intel and not a core i5. Personally, I think you should wait for the new 128bit CPU's that will be arriving shortly.

cloudNINE

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Personally, I think you should wait for the new 128bit CPU's that will be arriving shortly.

Not sure there would be any benefit in that (at least for the next 5+ years)? 64 bit can support terrabytes of RAM as it is. Most people are still using 32 bit OSs. 99% of software is 32 bit. The world hasn't caught on to 64 bit yet, let alone thinking about 128 bit.

i was hearing these chips might actually be quicker because of integrated PCIe lanes in the cpu, but in saying that, Intel wont allow the 3+ PCIe 16x video card slots on i5 motherboards so as to push people to high end i7 setup's etc for more "hardcore" rigs with tri channel ram etc - see what happens tho

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
wow....it cut off my entire post except for the first line. classic.

What I wanted to ask is...shouldn't Intel be creating an i9 to replace their "high-end" desktop chip and let the i7 become their "mainstream" chip? It seems wrong to move in the opposite direction just to compete with AMD. If they wanted real competition then create a new upper level and change the price points of the i7 to directly attack AMD prices.

For a better price, the new Phenom II chips will obliterate the i5 offerings. Right now the 955 can hold its own against Intel's best so I have a hard time understanding why anyone would spend money on a scaled back, weaker, more expensive i5 model than a a 955 BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.