Grey boxes

April 9, 2005 6:52:37 PM

XP Pro in Int.Explorer, the Find and FIND NEXT are greyed out...

No spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, Ive checked.

Suddenly can't use the find or find next.

Have scoured the web with no answers, my Win XP Pro setup CD burned up in
housefire, running on empty here.and Int.Explorer is NOT in Add-Remove
Programs for me to repair.

Please please help! and thank you :)

=^..^=

More about : grey boxes

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 11:31:23 PM

Answers/Comments inline:

meowmom wrote:
> XP Pro in Int.Explorer, the Find and FIND NEXT are greyed out...
>
> No spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, Ive checked.

How?
With what collection of AntiSpyware/AntiAdware/AntiMalware applications?

Any on this list?
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

> Suddenly can't use the find or find next.

ALT+F?

> Have scoured the web with no answers, my Win XP Pro setup CD burned
> up in housefire, running on empty here.and Int.Explorer is NOT in
> Add-Remove Programs for me to repair.

In order to repair your Windows XP Installation at any time - you will need
a Windows XP. Here is a couple of questions that will help use tell you if
you can get a replacement CD from Microsoft or if you might be able to
borrow and copy one from a friend..

Do you have a sticker on your computer with the CD Key on it?
What kind of computer is it (Dell, Compaq, etc - home built?) and did it
COME WITH Windows XP installed?
Did you buy Windows XP from a store in a nice box or was it simply in a
cellophane wrapped package (possibly cardborad backed)?

Quite simply put, if you have a Dell/Compaq/IBM/etc OR if you have a sticker
on the computer with your CD Key or you got your copy of Windows XP cheaply
and without the nice retail packaging - you just need to find someone else
that did the same and burn a copy of their CD - in most cases that will work
fine (there are a few CDs that are "BIOS Locked" out there - and will only
work on the machine they came with.) You could also purchase (inexpensively
in comparision to a retail packaged copy) an OEM copy of Windows XP off the
Internet. (Use www.pricewatch.com to find a good price.)

If it came in a nice retail package, you have a couple of choices. You
could find someone else who bought it in a nice retail package and copy
their CD or you can try 'How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft
Software or Hardware' at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246. You could
even buy Windows XP again off the Internet and still use your key.

Since your Windows XP installation is still working, I would suggest using
one of the three products below to find the CD Key - write it down, put it
in a fire safe!

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

Belarc Advisor
http://www.belarc.com/

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

Once you have a CD, you might try a couple of things:

Description of Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747
(SFC /SCANNOW)

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

--
<- Shenan ->
April 10, 2005 12:29:28 AM

((( Shenan))) Thank you very much for writing, I promise to go into detail
tomorrow when I have a few min.

However, what things am I going to lose on this 200 gig drive I have when I
do the repair install? (....that I should backup now)

> [...]
> Software or Hardware' at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246. You
> could even buy Windows XP again off the Internet and still use your key.
>
> Since your Windows XP installation is still working, I would suggest using
> one of the three products below to find the CD Key - write it down, put it
> in a fire safe!
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
>
> Belarc Advisor
> http://www.belarc.com/
>
> EVEREST Home Edition
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...
>

> Once you have a CD, you might try a couple of things:
>
> Description of Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747
> (SFC /SCANNOW)
>
> How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP

April 10, 2005 2:57:45 AM

meowmom wrote:
> XP Pro in Int.Explorer, the Find and FIND NEXT are greyed out...
>
> No spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, Ive checked.
>
> Suddenly can't use the find or find next.
>
> Have scoured the web with no answers, my Win XP Pro setup CD burned
> up in housefire, running on empty here.and Int.Explorer is NOT in
> Add-Remove Programs for me to repair.

Shenan wrote:
<snip>
> In order to repair your Windows XP Installation at any time - you
> will need a Windows XP.
<snip>

meowmom wrote:
> ((( Shenan))) Thank you very much for writing, I promise to go into
> detail tomorrow when I have a few min.
>
> However, what things am I going to lose on this 200 gig drive I have
> when I do the repair install? (....that I should backup now)

Repair Install of what?

Repair install of Internet Explorer?
You wouldn't lose much - if anything - beyond cookies and the likes.

HOWEVER - play it safe - do the following:
- Export your Internet Explorer favorites.
- Export your Outlook Express email/contacts/settings.
- Note your usernames/passwords on various web pages you frequent that need
them (Hotmail/MSN, Google Mail, etc - anything you normally don't have to
type in but know that the username/passwords are required and just being
remembered by IE..)

The Operating System(Windows XP)?
I wouldn't suggest that in your case - yet. However - here is some advice
on it.

You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or
Upgrading Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312369

Also, system restore points will be deleted..

System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224

Backup copies of your registry files are replaced.
You may (likely will) need to reinstall Windows Updates at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/.

Backup anything that is important to you (pictures, documents, address
lists, emails, etc.) - things CAN go wrong even with the best laid plans..

--
<- Shenan ->
April 10, 2005 11:40:16 AM

Good morning all and Shenan :)

I have a 200gig with a new RETAIL (nice box) Win XP Pro - 3 months old.

I checked with Norton and also Bitdefender, have had my firewall (ZoneAlarm)
on at all times,
have been purr-ticular what goes into my machine.

This lil Win.Explorer (no search companion) and IntExplorer (greyed find and
find next) just happened.

I have done the srchasst.inf off my I386, and have found nothing on the web
for the greyed boxes, except unloading hotfixes and reinstalling IntExp
which I did without change. So you said to do a repair install of XP.
What will I lose - I really just got this thing loaded (200 gig) so I could
sort, organize, delete and don't want to start over with CDS or loading CDS
for what I have now.

Thank you for sharing the key programs, I have one recently posted from acf
and also keep all nmy important stuff in a storage safe. However with house
burning down, have been unable to make a copy of Win before house fire.

Pretty rural here, so hard to find someone local with the disk I need.

Already wrote MSoft with regards to "lost" software.

Sooooo what do I reallly need to backup again before I do this repair
install of XP Pro, Shenan? Thank you much :)
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:36:32 PM

Just an update, found a GREAT place on the web - there IS something for
everybody:

Got scripts to fix my Search Companion (Also Sys restore which I forgot to
mention), and fix the greyed boxes.

Rebooted and all is well.

news:o n9b1FYPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...