Windows XP can't find the real filenames on CD drive (just..

This has happened before, and it seems like the files were salvageable
but I don't recall how.

When I put my CDRW in either drive, instead of the list of various
backup files all I get is:

compdata.bin , whose size represents the entire disk capacity, and
Non-allocatable Space of 0KB

rebooting did not help. Any one know how to find my files again?

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about windows find real filenames drive just

    Hi,

    If the disk was written with packet-writing (UDF) software, then you may
    need to reinstall that software in the current installation. WinXP has some
    trouble reading that format natively, and it doesn't work well in all
    installations.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jim" <kaplanjim@attbi.com> wrote in message
    > This has happened before, and it seems like the files were salvageable
    > but I don't recall how.
    >
    > When I put my CDRW in either drive, instead of the list of various
    > backup files all I get is:
    >
    > compdata.bin , whose size represents the entire disk capacity, and
    > Non-allocatable Space of 0KB
    >
    > rebooting did not help. Any one know how to find my files again?
    >
    > TIA

    I'm not aware of what it uses to write the CD's. Nothing in the
    startup services seems to resonate, I don't have to manually start a
    program and normally, all I do is drag and drop or "copy to" the files
    to the CD RW and all is fine. This is an HP Pavillion machine.

    Is there anything within XP that might fix this problem?

    Jim

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:31:25 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >If the disk was written with packet-writing (UDF) software, then you may
    >need to reinstall that software in the current installation. WinXP has some
    >trouble reading that format natively, and it doesn't work well in all
    >installations.

CD Drives Windows XP