Windows XP can't find the real filenames on CD drive (just..

April 10, 2005 1:13:17 AM

This has happened before, and it seems like the files were salvageable
but I don't recall how.

When I put my CDRW in either drive, instead of the list of various
backup files all I get is:

compdata.bin , whose size represents the entire disk capacity, and
Non-allocatable Space of 0KB

rebooting did not help. Any one know how to find my files again?

TIA
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:31:25 PM

Hi,

If the disk was written with packet-writing (UDF) software, then you may
need to reinstall that software in the current installation. WinXP has some
trouble reading that format natively, and it doesn't work well in all
installations.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jim" <kaplanjim@attbi.com> wrote in message
> This has happened before, and it seems like the files were salvageable
> but I don't recall how.
>
> When I put my CDRW in either drive, instead of the list of various
> backup files all I get is:
>
> compdata.bin , whose size represents the entire disk capacity, and
> Non-allocatable Space of 0KB
>
> rebooting did not help. Any one know how to find my files again?
>
> TIA
April 11, 2005 10:54:26 PM

I'm not aware of what it uses to write the CD's. Nothing in the
startup services seems to resonate, I don't have to manually start a
program and normally, all I do is drag and drop or "copy to" the files
to the CD RW and all is fine. This is an HP Pavillion machine.

Is there anything within XP that might fix this problem?

Jim

!