• Hardware
  • Devices
Last response: in News comments
May 26, 2009 8:40:35 PM

Its on my wish list, pls santa . . . .
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 26, 2009 8:41:14 PM

Nice little gadget. I wouldn't personally do any OCing through it but I would hack it to display temps via RealTemp or calibrated SpeedFan; main reason for hacking it is because those onboard readings from the BIOS/manufacture software can be off as much as by 10-15C. Or hack it to display a music player,widgets,etc.
Score
Related resources
May 26, 2009 8:42:10 PM

i'm not a luddite so don't insult me but i don't really understand why people bother with overclocking when the gains are so negligible. i would understand if it could boost the performance by multiple times but it doesn't even get close to doubling performance.
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 26, 2009 8:43:26 PM

umm, awesome!
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 26, 2009 8:56:07 PM

Is this needed?? I can oc my pn5-d to the max if I could keep it cool..
Score
May 26, 2009 8:59:32 PM

Dont you mean ROG motherboards?

That would be cool if they actually told us how it works in the OC process...
Score
May 26, 2009 9:00:56 PM

ViPri'm not a luddite so don't insult me but i don't really understand why people bother with overclocking when the gains are so negligible. i would understand if it could boost the performance by multiple times but it doesn't even get close to doubling performance.

If you can take a quad core 2.4GHz, say the Q6600, to 3.2GHz that's a 50% improvement in performance for absolutely no cost. I bought a Q6600 for $190 (OEM). A retail 3.0GHz quad core is $325. They don't even make a LGA775 3.2GHz quad. So to get that performance, I could have spent an extra $135 or simply overclocked. (And, yes, you do need a nicer motherboard. But you do not need one that costs $135 more than the entry-level tier-1 boards). Oh, and running a higher FSB and RAM speed also improves performance somewhat.

Or how about the previous OC I had, before going quad core? Same board, took an E4300 at 1.8GHz to 2.93GHz. At the time I bought this, the fastest CPUs under $500 was a 2.66GHz dual core. I mean, this was like mid-2006. The E4300 was under $200. You kind of see the point here? Do you really need a 3.2GHz quad, or a 2.93GHz dual core (three years ago)? No, but why run a 2.4GHz quad or a 1.8GHz dual (honestly, not fast) when the faster speeds are available for free?
Score
May 26, 2009 9:02:16 PM

ViPri'm not a luddite so don't insult me but i don't really understand why people bother with overclocking when the gains are so negligible. i would understand if it could boost the performance by multiple times but it doesn't even get close to doubling performance.

It depends what/how much you overclock. I took an Opteron165 which comes stock at 1.8Ghz and was able to OC all the way to 2.9Ghz, which I would have had to have paid many times as much money to get with a stock clocked CPU.
There are many stories of E2x00 Pentium Dual Cores going from 1.8-2.0 Ghz to nearly 4.0Ghz, potentially doubling performance. Overclocking is a way to get top-tier performance for entry-level prices.
Score
May 26, 2009 9:35:30 PM

Aww Gigabyte should make something like this...

ViPr got schooled... maybe he has a P4 or something that doesn't OC very well :p  But he has a small point, some people do spend hundreds of dollars on water cooling+e5200, when instead, they could just spend a bit more and get an air cooler+e8400 for less and better performance. Just an example :p  And then they fry it, wasting all their efforts and money altogether :D 

But yes, joex444 is right. Core 2's overclock very nicely with just about any motherboards, and if you're on a very tight budget with the worst C2D chip, you can even OC with a stock cooler, since C2D's don't produce that much heat...
Score
May 26, 2009 9:47:25 PM

This is gadget is going to sell a lot, ASUS just got a lot of business

Smart move
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 26, 2009 10:17:29 PM

But what's the point, exactly, of overclocking? I've overclocked several CPU's that I've had over the past few years, and apart from the buggy performance that pops up every now and then, when using real world applications, you notice absolutely NO performance gains whatsoever.

You can have a CPU running at a gazillion gigahertz; if the video, hard disk and memory subsystems aren't brought up to the same speed, then you're perpetually stuck with sluggish, 1990's performance.
Score
May 26, 2009 10:47:42 PM

WRONG you know not of which you speak...be gone.
Score
May 26, 2009 10:58:47 PM

Its a great idea, i wonder how well it actualy works, since a lot of controlers have a lot of problems with them, and how much does this actualy cost ?
Score
May 26, 2009 11:02:30 PM

I have been eyeballing this, but unless its $50 or less, no go. And I am afraid I dont think Asus will let them go cheap.....because its Asus. They will probably think, if you spent hundreds on an ROG board, why not $100 for this. A word on price would have been nice Tom's
Score
May 26, 2009 11:28:00 PM

scook9I have been eyeballing this, but unless its $50 or less, no go. And I am afraid I dont think Asus will let them go cheap.....because its Asus. They will probably think, if you spent hundreds on an ROG board, why not $100 for this. A word on price would have been nice Tom's

Nicely put.
A fun lil gadget to save you a little time... not worth an extreme amount of money.
Score
May 26, 2009 11:36:22 PM

Well I used to OC my Optrons a full 50% on stock volts and that was well worth the 10 minutes of my time to do so.

As for this device...I can't see anyone interested in overclocking willing to pay for it unless they can't understand how to use Google to find a tut on how to do so.
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 26, 2009 11:38:50 PM

To the one above who says Intel doesn't make a 775 3.2 quad. They do, the X3380.
Score
May 27, 2009 12:09:03 AM

Ummm.....hahahaha...I love it when people call BS on OC'ing. It's benefits are there for real, look at any of the Tom's systems they build, then look at the difference they get out of OC'ing the graphics and cpu. It's amazing and for 0$. Even just bringing up the CPU increases performance if you're bottlenecked, or use mostly RTS, or CPU intensive games/programs.

If you don't want to OC, don't. But don't tell us it doesn't work/causes worse performance.
Score
May 27, 2009 3:27:48 AM

Lol, tell my whimpy $80 e2160 that, who went from a slow 1.6 Ghz to a speedy 3.2 Ghz.
Score
May 27, 2009 5:16:27 AM

Looks great. I hope it doesn't cost too much :D 
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2009 5:24:25 AM

If reasonable I might consider gettin something like this, but I bet its gonna go about $200+:) 
The bling factor and ability to do photo screen saver might be a cool thing.

But on my Antec 900 I wouldn't wanna give up an intake fan to fit it in there!
Its kinda funny how people who don't overclock seem to know all about how it doesn't help performance.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2009 11:34:49 AM

Overclocking Fanboys: Please do keep in mind that not all users are willing to void warranties for an average gain of 25-50% for the cpu. The cost of replacing a fried chip would be more than the cost of upgrading in the first place in most situations. Also: If the user only overclocks the cpu the gains will be negligible if the cpu was never the bottleneck in the first place. Often some great ram & fast hds can speed up performance more than a minor tweak to the cpu only. DO be considerate when responding to others, as they might see things quite differently then you do. Thanks.
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2009 1:21:30 PM

Probably only works with Asus mobo's? How else would it gain access to these feats that you sometimes won't even find in the bios?
Score
May 27, 2009 1:34:01 PM

ssddxOverclocking Fanboys: Please do keep in mind that not all users are willing to void warranties for an average gain of 25-50% for the cpu. The cost of replacing a fried chip would be more than the cost of upgrading in the first place in most situations. Also: If the user only overclocks the cpu the gains will be negligible if the cpu was never the bottleneck in the first place. Often some great ram & fast hds can speed up performance more than a minor tweak to the cpu only. DO be considerate when responding to others, as they might see things quite differently then you do. Thanks.

So its important for us to be considerate of you, but when an article about OCing comes out we have to listen to you guys bitch and moan and insult us by telling us how useless our OCing is?
Score
May 27, 2009 2:22:22 PM

I'm not some guru OCer but
A. Looks badass
B. What's with the haters? If they're cool with the risk why come in lecturing people? Do you actually think they don't know that they could brick their PC? Thanks Captain Obvious.
Score
May 27, 2009 3:01:07 PM

I hope it works better than the OC palm. Not that the OC palm doesn't work, but it needed more attention and detail.
Score
May 27, 2009 4:35:39 PM

what about if people overclock and use folding@home? couldn't the processor start generating corrupted data and then send that faulty data to the scientists which will confuse them and cause them to end up killing people by accident?
Score
May 27, 2009 5:19:12 PM

you can kill people by folding@home? I don't think they use the data for targeted covert missle strikes. But that is a good idea. I'm gonna write that one down.
Score
May 27, 2009 8:03:40 PM

The thing that mr luddite was trying to make is a "25-50% increase" of Ghz on a CPU does not traslate to a 25-50% increase in everything the computer does.
SOME things get a great deal of benefit, games for instance. Others like ripping dvds (which is illegal and therefore an invalid arguement) get a benefit but can't be used as a selling point. Realistically does it matter that you can rip a cd/dvd in 1/3rd the time? if you need your a-team video on your ipod that quick, you might want to look into therapy as you are an addict.

Other than gaming there is barely any real world useful gains to OC'ing as mr luddite tried to say.

On the other hand EVEN IF YOU WANTED TO OVERCLOCK this product is just in the "nifty" category and nowhere near the "useful". Yes you can OC via a cute little toy, but qaside from using it for maybe 30-45 minutes on a computer... what then? you get your gains and then it becomes a paperweight.

One last note, as I know this will be rated down because I didn't bendover to the OC gods,... some of you need to unplug a bit as you are wound way way way to tight.
Score
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 28, 2009 12:15:15 AM

It's really what EVERY pc needs. A display with the most pertinent info. The fact that this information can be 'adjusted', so to speak, is perfect for all those e8500 moments @ >4GHz.
Score
May 28, 2009 6:52:54 AM

Overclocking haters: Overclocking can be an actual HOBBY, dumb asses. Ever heard of a computer ENTHUSIAST? It's like modifying a $25,000 car to outperform a $50,0000 plus car: I say it's more fun to go with the cheaper car up front and modify it. A lot of us don't want to be some uptight dude buying the Beeme/Lex/Inf then turn around and laugh at us for building some nice systems for cheap. Go read pcmag or something and let us enthusiasts discuss our craft!
Score
May 28, 2009 10:12:46 AM

drunknmunkysyou can kill people by folding@home? I don't think they use the data for targeted covert missle strikes. But that is a good idea. I'm gonna write that one down.

Haha! that was good...
Score
May 28, 2009 2:19:07 PM

I've been overclocking since my Pentium 133 mhz. So far i have never burned out a CPU. I change CPU every 2/3 years. I have a 4800 X2 reaching 2 years of use, and i had to take the OC off temporarly, because it wasn't taking the continuoes sessions of Astropulse (Seti@home).

There are 120 hours continuos sessions. Of 100% CPU usage.

I think it is my crappy mobo giving out, because it got a 500mhz OC (2.5 to 3.0) with a 1.350v. The default is 1.325v. Done with a bit of sense ( goodthermal paste and non-stock cooler) OC'ing is safe. Hell i got a Athlon 1500+ that was "transformed" into Athlon 1800+ and to this day ( more than 5 years) still works flawslessly. My little brother still plays wow on it.

Now, OCing is free performance. And doing it right, knowing a bit about it, represent no problem.
Score
!