Asus Unveils Standalone Overclocking Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice little gadget. I wouldn't personally do any OCing through it but I would hack it to display temps via RealTemp or calibrated SpeedFan; main reason for hacking it is because those onboard readings from the BIOS/manufacture software can be off as much as by 10-15C. Or hack it to display a music player,widgets,etc.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
i'm not a luddite so don't insult me but i don't really understand why people bother with overclocking when the gains are so negligible. i would understand if it could boost the performance by multiple times but it doesn't even get close to doubling performance.

joex444

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ViPr[/nom]i'm not a luddite so don't insult me but i don't really understand why people bother with overclocking when the gains are so negligible. i would understand if it could boost the performance by multiple times but it doesn't even get close to doubling performance.[/citation]

If you can take a quad core 2.4GHz, say the Q6600, to 3.2GHz that's a 50% improvement in performance for absolutely no cost. I bought a Q6600 for $190 (OEM). A retail 3.0GHz quad core is $325. They don't even make a LGA775 3.2GHz quad. So to get that performance, I could have spent an extra $135 or simply overclocked. (And, yes, you do need a nicer motherboard. But you do not need one that costs $135 more than the entry-level tier-1 boards). Oh, and running a higher FSB and RAM speed also improves performance somewhat.

Or how about the previous OC I had, before going quad core? Same board, took an E4300 at 1.8GHz to 2.93GHz. At the time I bought this, the fastest CPUs under $500 was a 2.66GHz dual core. I mean, this was like mid-2006. The E4300 was under $200. You kind of see the point here? Do you really need a 3.2GHz quad, or a 2.93GHz dual core (three years ago)? No, but why run a 2.4GHz quad or a 1.8GHz dual (honestly, not fast) when the faster speeds are available for free?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]ViPr[/nom]i'm not a luddite so don't insult me but i don't really understand why people bother with overclocking when the gains are so negligible. i would understand if it could boost the performance by multiple times but it doesn't even get close to doubling performance.[/citation]
It depends what/how much you overclock. I took an Opteron165 which comes stock at 1.8Ghz and was able to OC all the way to 2.9Ghz, which I would have had to have paid many times as much money to get with a stock clocked CPU.
There are many stories of E2x00 Pentium Dual Cores going from 1.8-2.0 Ghz to nearly 4.0Ghz, potentially doubling performance. Overclocking is a way to get top-tier performance for entry-level prices.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Aww Gigabyte should make something like this...

ViPr got schooled... maybe he has a P4 or something that doesn't OC very well :p But he has a small point, some people do spend hundreds of dollars on water cooling+e5200, when instead, they could just spend a bit more and get an air cooler+e8400 for less and better performance. Just an example :p And then they fry it, wasting all their efforts and money altogether :D

But yes, joex444 is right. Core 2's overclock very nicely with just about any motherboards, and if you're on a very tight budget with the worst C2D chip, you can even OC with a stock cooler, since C2D's don't produce that much heat...

G

But what's the point, exactly, of overclocking? I've overclocked several CPU's that I've had over the past few years, and apart from the buggy performance that pops up every now and then, when using real world applications, you notice absolutely NO performance gains whatsoever.

You can have a CPU running at a gazillion gigahertz; if the video, hard disk and memory subsystems aren't brought up to the same speed, then you're perpetually stuck with sluggish, 1990's performance.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Its a great idea, i wonder how well it actualy works, since a lot of controlers have a lot of problems with them, and how much does this actualy cost ?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I have been eyeballing this, but unless its $50 or less, no go. And I am afraid I dont think Asus will let them go cheap.....because its Asus. They will probably think, if you spent hundreds on an ROG board, why not $100 for this. A word on price would have been nice Tom's

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]I have been eyeballing this, but unless its $50 or less, no go. And I am afraid I dont think Asus will let them go cheap.....because its Asus. They will probably think, if you spent hundreds on an ROG board, why not $100 for this. A word on price would have been nice Tom's[/citation]

Nicely put.
A fun lil gadget to save you a little time... not worth an extreme amount of money.

zolddude-tkc

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Well I used to OC my Optrons a full 50% on stock volts and that was well worth the 10 minutes of my time to do so.

As for this device...I can't see anyone interested in overclocking willing to pay for it unless they can't understand how to use Google to find a tut on how to do so.

G

To the one above who says Intel doesn't make a 775 3.2 quad. They do, the X3380.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Ummm.....hahahaha...I love it when people call BS on OC'ing. It's benefits are there for real, look at any of the Tom's systems they build, then look at the difference they get out of OC'ing the graphics and cpu. It's amazing and for 0$. Even just bringing up the CPU increases performance if you're bottlenecked, or use mostly RTS, or CPU intensive games/programs.

If you don't want to OC, don't. But don't tell us it doesn't work/causes worse performance.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, tell my whimpy $80 e2160 that, who went from a slow 1.6 Ghz to a speedy 3.2 Ghz.

If reasonable I might consider gettin something like this, but I bet its gonna go about $200+:)
The bling factor and ability to do photo screen saver might be a cool thing.

But on my Antec 900 I wouldn't wanna give up an intake fan to fit it in there!
Its kinda funny how people who don't overclock seem to know all about how it doesn't help performance.

Overclocking Fanboys: Please do keep in mind that not all users are willing to void warranties for an average gain of 25-50% for the cpu. The cost of replacing a fried chip would be more than the cost of upgrading in the first place in most situations. Also: If the user only overclocks the cpu the gains will be negligible if the cpu was never the bottleneck in the first place. Often some great ram & fast hds can speed up performance more than a minor tweak to the cpu only. DO be considerate when responding to others, as they might see things quite differently then you do. Thanks.

G

Probably only works with Asus mobo's? How else would it gain access to these feats that you sometimes won't even find in the bios?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]ssddx[/nom]Overclocking Fanboys: Please do keep in mind that not all users are willing to void warranties for an average gain of 25-50% for the cpu. The cost of replacing a fried chip would be more than the cost of upgrading in the first place in most situations. Also: If the user only overclocks the cpu the gains will be negligible if the cpu was never the bottleneck in the first place. Often some great ram & fast hds can speed up performance more than a minor tweak to the cpu only. DO be considerate when responding to others, as they might see things quite differently then you do. Thanks.[/citation]
So its important for us to be considerate of you, but when an article about OCing comes out we have to listen to you guys bitch and moan and insult us by telling us how useless our OCing is?

Status
Not open for further replies.