is it safe?

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
Just OC my Radeon 9800 Pro 128 to 405/702 and it works just fine. Gained 500 points in 3dmark2k3. It looks stable to me. No artifacs to report. The question is...how do I know that I'm not damaging the card? Is this going to take lifetime to it? Thanks for the help!

cleeve

Illustrious
There are no guarantees in overclocking.

Basically, you overclock it until you see artifacts, and then you pull back until you feel safe.

But there's no magic number.

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
in a forum someone said to me 420 for the core and 720 for memory was the max. but if I'm not seeing any artifacs I have nothing to worry right?

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I know it's fun to see how far you can go with a new card, but one question you have to ask yourself is, is it worth it? You have a top of the line card. No current game should give you any hiccups at all, so why bother risking the card for a few more fps when you can't notice a diff anyways.
But hey, that's just me.
If you are worried about damaging your card, then you probably don't have anything to worry about right now if you're not getting any artifacts. But don't forget, even though there's no damage now, any overclocking you do, does shorten the lifespan of your card.

petrolhead2003

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
Crank the sucker up then i say.
6 - 8 months before it fails will do.
The sooner it fails,the sooner you can get your hands on a shiny new piece of hardware.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well the higher you OC the card, the higher the temp WILL get. Just a point of how much punishment the card can take. Generally if you dont get snow, artifacts, or crashes then its ok. May wanna try it out over at least 2-3 hour gamming session. I got mine at 420 before the snow came out.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

Overclock= lower life expenctancy.

Whether or not it affects you depends on the hartiness of your card.

Just like the overclockability of your card it varies from card to card. Some cards would work to the next decade (or beyond) at stock and now you've shortened it's lifespan to 3-4 years, but considering most people move to a new card by then it doesn't matter. The time it matters is when that OC decreases longevity to below your replacement date. If it's a crummy card maybe you lower it's life from 4years to 1 or 2. But for the most part you will be fine for your normal expenctancy. Also overclocking a card will stress the weaker parts, and while at stock you may never notice a failure, a slight overclock could induce a failure over the long term due to more heat/strain. Just two things to consider.

Overclocking does reduce the longevity and increase the possibility of anomalies, but usually it's not a big issue as long as you don't push too high.

What is two high varies from card to card and type to type.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
Grape, that's why I tend not to overclock my cards. I don't want to damage their life expectency because when I make an upgrade, I move my hardware down to spare systems. I keep a few computers to have friends over for mini LAN parties. I am tempted to OC my new 9800 pro just for benchmarking, but probably will set it back to stock.

I OC'ed all my Celeron and PIII cpus, because it made a big difference. I mean a $100 OC celeron 300a used to keep up with a $800-$100 PII450. So that made sense to me because I could see the results. Of course I still have a couple of those chips in casual use now, never killed a cpu overclocking. I'd only OC my 9800 pro if my minimum framerates become unacceptable.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

That tends to be my general practice too.

I overclock on a regular basis 456/321 and 432/318 as two arbitrary numbers I 'like'. I overclock pretty high for testing purposes and test the stability for a few hours (I don't believe in sprint benchmarking), but I don't run day to day at those speeds because I do want to keep this card, and give it to others. However I think that those day to day speeds I have are well within prudent speed since stock is 400/300, and my max overclocks are 530/365 (535/370 MAX), so it's all a question of what people feel comfortable with. But yeah if games are getting slow, why not, unless you can sell that card for good money, overclocking it is a smart solution if it makes the games playable until you can buy a replacement. It's also nice to know that if the average version of your card is 'OK' at the game in question, your slight overclock likely helps keep the minimum FPS up enough to make it better thank OK, and heading towards 'smooO0Oooth'.

I do get joy out of seeing how high I can get it on stock parts, but really day to day, as long as it plays, that's fine with me, and for someone who runs with an R9600Pro, most people with R9800s shouldn't feel the NEED to overclock, but there's no denying the DESIRE within all of US here.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
I usually find the max OC, pull it back until I feel it's a good tradeoff between life vs. performance, and then when I upgrade I move the card to another system and stock-clock it again.

It's worked for me so far...

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
I just OC my 9800 Pro for a little benchmark fun. But my conscience was heavy thinking : "am I killing the joy of my pc?!" But I enjoyed seeing great stability and considerable better performance in games. Its a Club-3D card. And I do not know if its safe to push it. Does anybody knows this brand? Is it good?

pauldh

Illustrious
I gave into a little temptation to OC the 9800 Pro. I didn't push it too high, but was just curious to work my way up a little at a time until I broke 6K in 3dmark03. The saphire came clocked at 378/338 and scored 5,742. I went up slow and found that at 405/351 it scored 6030. Also ran a 3dmark03 full test too, and did some gaming for a while. All seems fine. I might see how high it can go, but was happy to break 6K with a fairly mild overclock. I'll be setting it back to default for daily use.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Hey you can still have fun, just be aware of what you're doing.

It's like NITRO, it's great, it's fun, but remember that it runs hotter than normal so it can damage your engine (require more maintenance).

OCing is fine, but running near breaking point day by day is just asking for trouble. But if you are aware of that and are willing to do the tradeoff, hey go for it.

Better to be aware and enjoy your card, then get sucked in, by some of us who OC, and then you regretting it latter. My day to day OC looks big and some people can't run that fast even at max, but really it's something to be aware of, we're being cautious often ourselves.

Knowledge Brings Fear! :evil: - Taken from Futurama.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1145865560" target="_new">MY most recent OC foray</A> (not THAT recent really).

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
OVER CLOCKING IS FOR LOSERS LIKE GRAPE!!!!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

ROFLMAO!

I was trying to guard my comments as to not offend some of the more sensitive members of the forum. I guess I did so in vain. :wink:

Don't worry there's always the next generation. :evil:

Asian nVboy? Is that like one of them Thai girlie-boys I see in those pop-up ads? :tongue: