PC R9600XT Bravo (where's the power boost?)

Well there was supposed to be a kick ass and a medium boosted BRAVO R9600XT version from Powercolor, but this one has some nice added features (VIVO like ASUS, plus a goofy HSF), but no promised performance boost (faster memory).

<A HREF="http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-196-1.htm" target="_new">http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-196-1.htm</A>

Worth a read if you're looking for a VIVO card in the R9600 range, but don't want to pay the premium for an AIW and for some reason can't buy an ASUS.

Waste of a different cooler (and blowing into the case towards the CPU, RAM and HD?) considering it isn't clocked any different than a reference XT.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
One word.
<b>SHRINKWRAPCOATEDELECTROLYTECAPACITORS</b>
I hate those Fcking things, they wreak of cheapness(typical of powercolor)

<b>I help because you suck</b>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1819095" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As I designer I understand the guy is talking out his arse on the cooler. You see, there's a good reason to make a cooler that shape: It increases fin area by making them longer. And there's a decent reason for using heatsinks only on the underside RAM: The underside is hotter than the top side due to heat rizing and restricted airflow caused by other cards.

So the cooler shouldn't be looked at like "Why the crap did they blow the heat into the case" since most cards do that anyway (just in more directions). It's just an attempt to put longer fins on a standard (non-externally blowing) heatsink and make it look cool at the same time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

True, I didn't think that others did that to some extent too. But mine blows it out right right under 2 exhaust fans and in front of my AGP blowhole, the PC design would actually work against that.
My air flows from 2 filtered front intake fans (one HD) plus filtered AGP/PCI blowhole to 2 exhaust fans (one above the AGP one above the CPU) plus the PSU fan, so it would likely cause added turbulence in my case.

But I do apprecite the idea, the issue may be whether it is a copy of an efficient design that doesn't actually do much (poor fan quality, poor mounting) or whether it is truely effective. I mean the recent TYAN HSFs look AWESOME, but don't work worth crap in most cases because of the way they are implemented. I have a feeling that this is likely the case for this card, but only serious overclocking tests of many cards would give us a good idea for sure (where replacing it with a stock cooler did better or not).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah I hear you man. One bad experience is enough I'm sure.

For once I'm glad I went with the Gigabyte MOBO instead of waiting for the ASUS. There's been alot of issue with those early boards.