How Proprietary is a Dell these days?

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2005 3:59:39 PM

Hi all I have owned Dell refurbs in the past and Im thinking of a new computer
soon. I just want to know how Propritary a Dell is these days? In the past
the Power Supply was definitely proprietary. Is that still the case you could
not replace the or install a different motherboard because the connectors on
the dell power supply were different. Well anyways is someone here can tell me
all or most of the issues with a dell at the present time I would love to hear.
I am also wondering who makes Dell 20 inch monitors. I have heard they are
rebadged Viewsonics does anyone know for sure. Thank you in advance...and
Have a great day....Andy

More about : proprietary dell days

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2005 4:30:38 PM

Dell has gotten away from proprietary power supplies, but several other elements
of the motherboard design are unique to Dell, to say the least. The connectors
to the front panel for USB and the usual on-off/LED combo are proprietary. So
is the 3-pin locking connector for the fan on the back of the chassis used to
ventilate the processor. If you need a floppy diskette drive, you would also
need a specific Dell mounting bracket to attach it inside the chassis.

If you are looking for a completely non-proprietary system which allows a future
generic motherboard upgrade, look elsewhere. If you are looking to add hard
drives, swap out CD or DVD burner, or upgrade an AGP graphics card in the
future, today's Dell models tolerate these sorts of upgrades.

Be aware that the industry is just now starting an apparent transition from the
long-time ATX (and microATX) chassis to BTX and from AGP to PCI-Express. No
matter what you buy, old or new, Dell or other, there are bound to be some bumps
in the road when you decide to upgrade... Ben Myers

On 02 Feb 2005 12:59:39 GMT, bruinfan50@aol.com (Bruinfan50) wrote:

>Hi all I have owned Dell refurbs in the past and Im thinking of a new computer
>soon. I just want to know how Propritary a Dell is these days? In the past
>the Power Supply was definitely proprietary. Is that still the case you could
>not replace the or install a different motherboard because the connectors on
>the dell power supply were different. Well anyways is someone here can tell me
>all or most of the issues with a dell at the present time I would love to hear.
> I am also wondering who makes Dell 20 inch monitors. I have heard they are
>rebadged Viewsonics does anyone know for sure. Thank you in advance...and
>Have a great day....Andy
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2005 9:12:10 PM

Hi!

> If you need a floppy diskette drive, you would also
> need a specific Dell mounting bracket to attach it inside the chassis.

My Dimension 8300 and many other Dell computers I've seen have extra rails
for plenty of drives. In fact, even though mine is filled to the maximum
number of drives, there is still a full card of rails attached inside the
case.

I ordered mine with a Dell installed floppy drive, but the manual for my
system gives instructions as to how to install a generic floppy. The only
thing that seemingly needs to be done is to remove the blank plate.

William
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2005 9:12:11 PM

"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
message news:_J8Md.43437$IV5.24460@attbi_s54...
> Hi!
>
>> If you need a floppy diskette drive, you would also
>> need a specific Dell mounting bracket to attach it inside the chassis.
>
> My Dimension 8300 and many other Dell computers I've seen have extra rails
> for plenty of drives. In fact, even though mine is filled to the maximum
> number of drives, there is still a full card of rails attached inside the
> case.
>
> I ordered mine with a Dell installed floppy drive, but the manual for my
> system gives instructions as to how to install a generic floppy. The only
> thing that seemingly needs to be done is to remove the blank plate.
>
> William

As a general rule, the "larger" tower Dells (Dim45XX/82XX/83XX/84XX series)
and Optiplex GX 270/280's can all use a standard floppy and have
quick-release rails included inside the case.

It's the Mitac boxes with the floppy kit (Dim23XX/24XX/46XX/47XX) that
require the Dell drive cage to install any floppy drive. Dell sells the
entire kit but not the cage by itself as far as I know.

Stew
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2005 11:53:05 PM

The cases still have proprietary elements.

The newer systems (4700 and 8400) use standard 24-pin BTX power
supplies. The wiring harnesses are proprietary and make using an
aftermarket board problematic. The Mitac (Chinese) built 3000 and 4700
use standard power supplies; the Dell-built OptiPlexes and 8400 use BTX
power supplies without on-off switches.

The tray mount on most Dells is nonstandard.

The OS supplied is tied to the Dell BIOS by agreement with Microsoft;
if you attempt to use the CD on a non-Dell board, it'll require
activation; whether MS lets you do that is open to question.

Samsung and LG-Philips supply most of Dell's flat panel monitors.

Bruinfan50 wrote:
> Hi all I have owned Dell refurbs in the past and Im thinking of a new computer
> soon. I just want to know how Propritary a Dell is these days? In the past
> the Power Supply was definitely proprietary. Is that still the case you could
> not replace the or install a different motherboard because the connectors on
> the dell power supply were different. Well anyways is someone here can tell me
> all or most of the issues with a dell at the present time I would love to hear.
> I am also wondering who makes Dell 20 inch monitors. I have heard they are
> rebadged Viewsonics does anyone know for sure. Thank you in advance...and
> Have a great day....Andy
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2005 2:03:27 AM

"Bruinfan50" <bruinfan50@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi all I have owned Dell refurbs in the past and Im thinking of a new
> computer
> soon. I just want to know how Propritary a Dell is these days? In the
> past
> the Power Supply was definitely proprietary. Is that still the case you
> could
> not replace the or install a different motherboard because the connectors
> on
> the dell power supply were different. Well anyways is someone here can
> tell me
> all or most of the issues with a dell at the present time I would love to
> hear.
> I am also wondering who makes Dell 20 inch monitors. I have heard they
> are
> rebadged Viewsonics does anyone know for sure. Thank you in
> advance...and
> Have a great day....Andy

I've seen some recent Dimensions (Can't remember the #) that, at cursory
glance, appear to be plain-jane atx boards. The Optiplexes I've seen (GX270
etc) are definately proprietary boards.

The power supplies on the Optiplexes, especially on the micro towers, are a
unique size/shape. But failures are so rare, and spare parts are plentiful
enough, I wouldn't be concerned - There's any number of on-line parts depots
that have surplus/used/refurb Dell power supplies available at reasonable
prices.

The 21" Dell P110s are Sony, I don't know about the 20". (see
http://www.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/pcd/9246241/cc... )

- FM -
!