How Proprietary is a Dell these days?

Hi all I have owned Dell refurbs in the past and Im thinking of a new computer
soon. I just want to know how Propritary a Dell is these days? In the past
the Power Supply was definitely proprietary. Is that still the case you could
not replace the or install a different motherboard because the connectors on
the dell power supply were different. Well anyways is someone here can tell me
all or most of the issues with a dell at the present time I would love to hear.
I am also wondering who makes Dell 20 inch monitors. I have heard they are
rebadged Viewsonics does anyone know for sure. Thank you in advance...and
Have a great day....Andy
5 answers Last reply
More about proprietary dell days

    Dell has gotten away from proprietary power supplies, but several other elements
    of the motherboard design are unique to Dell, to say the least. The connectors
    to the front panel for USB and the usual on-off/LED combo are proprietary. So
    is the 3-pin locking connector for the fan on the back of the chassis used to
    ventilate the processor. If you need a floppy diskette drive, you would also
    need a specific Dell mounting bracket to attach it inside the chassis.

    If you are looking for a completely non-proprietary system which allows a future
    generic motherboard upgrade, look elsewhere. If you are looking to add hard
    drives, swap out CD or DVD burner, or upgrade an AGP graphics card in the
    future, today's Dell models tolerate these sorts of upgrades.

    Be aware that the industry is just now starting an apparent transition from the
    long-time ATX (and microATX) chassis to BTX and from AGP to PCI-Express. No
    matter what you buy, old or new, Dell or other, there are bound to be some bumps
    in the road when you decide to upgrade... Ben Myers

    On 02 Feb 2005 12:59:39 GMT, bruinfan50@aol.com (Bruinfan50) wrote:

    >Hi all I have owned Dell refurbs in the past and Im thinking of a new computer
    >soon. I just want to know how Propritary a Dell is these days? In the past
    >the Power Supply was definitely proprietary. Is that still the case you could
    >not replace the or install a different motherboard because the connectors on
    >the dell power supply were different. Well anyways is someone here can tell me
    >all or most of the issues with a dell at the present time I would love to hear.
    > I am also wondering who makes Dell 20 inch monitors. I have heard they are
    >rebadged Viewsonics does anyone know for sure. Thank you in advance...and
    >Have a great day....Andy

    Hi!

    > If you need a floppy diskette drive, you would also
    > need a specific Dell mounting bracket to attach it inside the chassis.

    My Dimension 8300 and many other Dell computers I've seen have extra rails
    for plenty of drives. In fact, even though mine is filled to the maximum
    number of drives, there is still a full card of rails attached inside the
    case.

    I ordered mine with a Dell installed floppy drive, but the manual for my
    system gives instructions as to how to install a generic floppy. The only
    thing that seemingly needs to be done is to remove the blank plate.

    William

    "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    message news:_J8Md.43437$IV5.24460@attbi_s54...
    > Hi!
    >
    >> If you need a floppy diskette drive, you would also
    >> need a specific Dell mounting bracket to attach it inside the chassis.
    >
    > My Dimension 8300 and many other Dell computers I've seen have extra rails
    > for plenty of drives. In fact, even though mine is filled to the maximum
    > number of drives, there is still a full card of rails attached inside the
    > case.
    >
    > I ordered mine with a Dell installed floppy drive, but the manual for my
    > system gives instructions as to how to install a generic floppy. The only
    > thing that seemingly needs to be done is to remove the blank plate.
    >
    > William

    As a general rule, the "larger" tower Dells (Dim45XX/82XX/83XX/84XX series)
    and Optiplex GX 270/280's can all use a standard floppy and have
    quick-release rails included inside the case.

    It's the Mitac boxes with the floppy kit (Dim23XX/24XX/46XX/47XX) that
    require the Dell drive cage to install any floppy drive. Dell sells the
    entire kit but not the cage by itself as far as I know.

    Stew

    The cases still have proprietary elements.

    The newer systems (4700 and 8400) use standard 24-pin BTX power
    supplies. The wiring harnesses are proprietary and make using an
    aftermarket board problematic. The Mitac (Chinese) built 3000 and 4700
    use standard power supplies; the Dell-built OptiPlexes and 8400 use BTX
    power supplies without on-off switches.

    The tray mount on most Dells is nonstandard.

    The OS supplied is tied to the Dell BIOS by agreement with Microsoft;
    if you attempt to use the CD on a non-Dell board, it'll require
    activation; whether MS lets you do that is open to question.

    Samsung and LG-Philips supply most of Dell's flat panel monitors.

    "Bruinfan50" <bruinfan50@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all I have owned Dell refurbs in the past and Im thinking of a new
    > computer
    > soon. I just want to know how Propritary a Dell is these days? In the
    > past
    > the Power Supply was definitely proprietary. Is that still the case you
    > could
    > not replace the or install a different motherboard because the connectors
    > on
    > the dell power supply were different. Well anyways is someone here can
    > tell me
    > all or most of the issues with a dell at the present time I would love to
    > hear.
    > I am also wondering who makes Dell 20 inch monitors. I have heard they
    > are
    > rebadged Viewsonics does anyone know for sure. Thank you in
    > advance...and
    > Have a great day....Andy

    I've seen some recent Dimensions (Can't remember the #) that, at cursory
    glance, appear to be plain-jane atx boards. The Optiplexes I've seen (GX270
    etc) are definately proprietary boards.

    The power supplies on the Optiplexes, especially on the micro towers, are a
    unique size/shape. But failures are so rare, and spare parts are plentiful
    enough, I wouldn't be concerned - There's any number of on-line parts depots
    that have surplus/used/refurb Dell power supplies available at reasonable
    prices.

    The 21" Dell P110s are Sony, I don't know about the 20". (see
    http://www.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/pcd/9246241/ccsyn/260/_x_/Accurate-IT-Services-LTD-21inch-Sony-Trinitron-Monitor-oem-DELL-D1626HT-1600HS,-1920x1440-REFURBISHED )

    - FM -

Dell Power Supplies Computers Product