Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mac Cloner Psystar Files for Bankruptcy

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
May 26, 2009 7:13:02 PM

O_o Damn thats an evil end user license agreement , at least I can install windows on whatever machine I want Mac or not.
May 26, 2009 7:15:04 PM

So, will this company in the shadows now be culpable?
Related resources
May 26, 2009 7:17:51 PM

its their way of saying, use our hardware or you don't get to use our software
May 26, 2009 7:24:40 PM

Gin FushichoO_o Damn thats an evil end user license agreement , at least I can install windows on whatever machine I want Mac or not.

You mean you can install it on "whatever machine" that is a windows configured pc.

But then whats the use of installing a crappy OS on "whatever machine".
May 26, 2009 7:30:07 PM

rsudYou mean you can install it on "whatever machine" that is a windows configured pc.But then whats the use of installing a crappy OS on "whatever machine".

I do gotta agree with that , there is no point in installing Windows on a machine like a MAC. xD But really you can install it on ANY machine , they dont stop you like mac does.
May 26, 2009 7:41:28 PM

yea you can definitely install windows on any machine you can get your hands on. wether you want to or not is another matter. I dont see that changing anytime soon either. The microsoft device driver library is enormous for a reason.
May 26, 2009 7:46:34 PM

I guess Psystar didn't have a magical bank account. Its a shame really. Apple needs to be taken down a peg, shown that just because they're not Microsoft doesn't mean they get to play outside the law.
May 26, 2009 7:48:01 PM

We need Psystar alive to give Apple's evil EULA a kick in its rear!
May 26, 2009 7:51:44 PM

eddieroolzWe need Psystar alive to give Apple's evil EULA a kick in its rear!

It's their software, we can't (the market) dictate to them how they should package and sell it other than speaking with our wallets.
May 26, 2009 8:01:59 PM

Tell that to all the people nailing Microsoft to a cross for packaging Internet Explorer with Windows.
May 26, 2009 8:16:51 PM

squatchmanTell that to all the people nailing Microsoft to a cross for packaging Internet Explorer with Windows.

^ This
May 26, 2009 8:17:50 PM

wouldn't it be funny if Microsoft was funding them lol
May 26, 2009 8:22:41 PM

tweak13wouldn't it be funny if Microsoft was funding them lol

I was thinking the same thing....

Sh*t would hit the fan!
May 26, 2009 8:43:27 PM

would not be surprised at all really...
May 26, 2009 8:43:57 PM

That would be an EPIC Mac vs. PC battle.
May 26, 2009 9:05:31 PM

Shadow703793That would be an EPIC Mac vs. PC battle.

Bill Gates would rip off his shirt showing off his 5 inch thick abs while Steve Jobs would begin coughing toxic cancerous gas.

Then Bill would totally yell "THIS. IS. MICROSOFT!!!"

May 26, 2009 9:13:33 PM

And they would both die a slow painful death. =D
Anonymous
May 26, 2009 9:25:11 PM

I like OS X but that EULA is the one of the worst way to protect their market share.
May 26, 2009 9:27:14 PM

Then again, they will still be able to sue other people.
Anonymous
May 26, 2009 9:49:59 PM

The EU should be taking action against Apple, Intel and Microsoft both got what they deserved, it's Apple's turn now...
May 26, 2009 10:53:59 PM

Apple made it so they can do whatever the hell they want
May 26, 2009 11:38:36 PM

Pystar the apple. Apple the worm.
May 26, 2009 11:53:53 PM

why would ms do that in case?
May 27, 2009 12:02:58 AM

How peculiar.....Apple sells an OS that can only legally be run on their computers, and it's all ok. Microsoft includes a free internet browser with their OS and it's the end of the F*@&ing world with lawsuit after lawsuit....?
May 27, 2009 3:04:45 AM

Psystar should ask for a bailout :-)
May 27, 2009 3:50:35 AM

Apple hardware is overpriced, and Apple software is bleak
May 27, 2009 3:58:30 AM

cruiseoverideApple hardware is overpriced, and Apple software is bleak

I agree with the hardware part but the OS kicks ass , but not if your a gamer. ;p

It's for those who use movie editors and photo shop.
May 27, 2009 4:53:11 AM

The only thing I like about Jobs is Pixar
May 27, 2009 1:25:47 PM

I was wondering how long Pystar would last.. I was hoping they found a loop whole in the Eula... I too thought maybe Micro was funding it.. That would blow my mind if it's true.. I hate that an os is tied to a piece of hardware... I don't see Think differently in that one at all.. Maybe Think money??? Total Bs
May 27, 2009 1:48:48 PM

This is Apple's "Achille's Heel". They spent all that money on the "Mac vs. PC" commercials, but I'm surprised MS hasn't replied with a simple commercial along the lines of:
[black screen... announcer v.o.]
"Here are the computer brands that Microsoft's operating systems can be installed on."
[Computer brand logos fill the screen, slowly at first then more rapidly. Logos reduce in size in order for more to fit.]
"Now here are the computer brands that Apple's operating systems can be installed on."
[Apple logo placed center screen a 1/3 screen height.]
"So which operating systems offer you the most flexibility?"
[Apple logo fade to black. Microsoft logo fade in.]
"Microsoft"

OK, I get royalties if they subsequently use that.
May 27, 2009 7:58:19 PM

A lot of companies always tied their operating systems to their hardware. Solaris was used to be SPARC only, the HP-UX was tied to HP machines and hey, AIX and IBM i is still tied down to the POWER architecture. These companies tend to tie it down to the architecture, but for some reason Apple had to stick its head out and transitioned to Intel which I still say to this day was a dumb move. The PowerPC architecture is superior to the x86 and one big reason for the move was the perceived failure of IBM reaching 3 GHz. A 2.5 GHz G5 outperformed any x86 counterpart that ran at a higher clockspeed during the same time period.
May 29, 2009 4:46:36 PM

christopI was wondering how long Pystar would last.. I was hoping they found a loop whole in the Eula... I too thought maybe Micro was funding it.. That would blow my mind if it's true.. I hate that an os is tied to a piece of hardware... I don't see Think differently in that one at all.. Maybe Think money??? Total Bs

I think that Mac OS going to mainstream hardware would be a nightmare for Microsoft. Their laptop hunter series would be invalid. If people could choose between windows and os x for the same price we would have a whole new ball game. Not that I love mac os, but some do. However, they aren't willing to pay the apple tax. Of course third party software and hardware support would have to be added, thus Apple would have all new development challenges that Microsoft would be years ahead in. Of course they could have avoided this if they had actually charged fair prices for hardware instead of using Intel mb, and nvida chipset that any ole joe can pick up and install their os on with 100% compatibilty.
!