5950U / 9800XT owners - heat issues?

Borsti

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2002
Hi,

I would like to ask owners of NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950U and ATI Radeon 9800XT about your experience with thermal issues of those cards.

Do or did you have any problems (blinking pixels, triangles) in your system caused by overheating of the graphics card? Did you need to place additional cooling into your case to cool the card or did you have to replace the card?

Thanks for your help. Please only post if you´re sure that it´s not a driver/game bug.

Lars Weinand - THG Editor Graphics

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I have a Hercules 9800XT running under cats 3.9 with overdrive enabled and I havent had a single problem with the card in terms of games compatability or unexplained artifacts in games that would be attributed to overheating. I haven't had a problem with it full stop (so far).

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wolfy on 02/10/04 09:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

michael11699

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
I have the Gainward FX5950Ultra and I have had no problems with heat. I have it clocked at 550/1000 and have not seen any problems so far. When using benchmark software I have seen no artifacting, and have seen none in games.
My case has a side inlet fan that is blowing on the card, no other fans than that used on the card. A note though, the Gainward uses two smaller fans on the card rather than the "leaf blower" you may be use to reading about or seeing. I don't know if this is a better cooling solution or not?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by michael11699 on 02/10/04 12:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hi Borsti, tell Omid I'm sorry I couldn't make it to Chicago but I'm willing to try something else.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Borsti

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2002
Thanks for the replys. We´re getting reports by EMail where user are having trouble caused by overheating. We also have several damaged cards (1x 9700P, 2x 9800XT, 1x 9800P, 1x 5950) in our lab. So I´m searching for additional information on how serious those failures are or if they are just bad luck.

@Crashman
I´ll tell him. Did you try to contact him?

Lars

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I tried to contact him, I think he might have given up trying to contact me. Of course I do understand he's busy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>