Backup Registry

Using XP Home Edition
What is the best way to backup the registry?

1. Using Backup or Restore Wizzard in System Tools
OR
2. Start>Run>Regedit>File>Export>Save In>File Name>Export Range ALL (in
lower left hand corner>Save
OR
3. IS there a more simplified way?

Thanks for your consideration and assistance!!!!!

Uhhh, don't back up your registry with regedit.

Your registry is already being backed up with System Restore in
C:\System Volume Information.

I've never really used Windows XP Home but if you use NTBackup off the
CD it's possible that it will back up your "System State" which
includes your registry. but if you just want the actual registry files
then they are located in the System Volume Information folder.

Hi,

How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322756

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Using XP Home Edition
> What is the best way to backup the registry?
>
> 1. Using Backup or Restore Wizzard in System Tools
> OR
> 2. Start>Run>Regedit>File>Export>Save In>File Name>Export Range ALL (in
> lower left hand corner>Save
> OR
> 3. IS there a more simplified way?
>
> Thanks for your consideration and assistance!!!!!

Check C:\System Volume Information

in the snapshot folder you'll see:

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

Simply rename _reg_Machine_Software to SOFTWARE
and
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM

and place in the c:\Windows\system32\config folder

with that said I prefer ERUNT since I don't really use System Restore.

If you wish to "track" software installations there are 3rd party
programs which keep track of the files/registry entries that the
programs install.

think I recall reading System Restore point will only have saved
HK_Local_Machine and not the whole registry

"DosFreak" <d0sfreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Uhhh, don't back up your registry with regedit.
>
> Your registry is already being backed up with System Restore in
> C:\System Volume Information.
>
> I've never really used Windows XP Home but if you use NTBackup off the
> CD it's possible that it will back up your "System State" which
> includes your registry. but if you just want the actual registry files
> then they are located in the System Volume Information folder.

Reason I want to back up registry.
After I uninstall a program I then want to remove it from the registry.
So...(just in case I should remove the wrong key from the registry)...what
method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
What is System Volume?

> Hi,
>
> How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
> Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322756
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Using XP Home Edition
> > What is the best way to backup the registry?
> >
> > 1. Using Backup or Restore Wizzard in System Tools
> > OR
> > 2. Start>Run>Regedit>File>Export>Save In>File Name>Export Range ALL (in
> > lower left hand corner>Save
> > OR
> > 3. IS there a more simplified way?
> >
> > Thanks for your consideration and assistance!!!!!

Hi,

> ...what method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????

Export any key before you delete it. If its removal causes problems, double
click the copy to reload it.

> What is System Volume?

System Volume Information is the folder that houses the restore points for
the system You should find this folder on the root of any hard drive that is
being monitored.

--

> Reason I want to back up registry.
> After I uninstall a program I then want to remove it from the registry.
> So...(just in case I should remove the wrong key from the registry)...what
> method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
> What is System Volume?

>> Hi,
>>
>> How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
>> Server 2003
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322756
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> > Using XP Home Edition
>> > What is the best way to backup the registry?
>> >
>> > 1. Using Backup or Restore Wizzard in System Tools
>> > OR
>> > 2. Start>Run>Regedit>File>Export>Save In>File Name>Export Range ALL
>> > (in
>> > lower left hand corner>Save
>> > OR
>> > 3. IS there a more simplified way?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your consideration and assistance!!!!!

Rick,
Am I better to export ALL the registry or just the the key I am working on?

P.S. Exporting "any key" would be like exporting (example)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER right? wrong?

Thanks again for your understanding and patience!!!!!

> Hi,
>
> > ...what method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
>
> Export any key before you delete it. If its removal causes problems,
double
> click the copy to reload it.
>
> > What is System Volume?
>
> System Volume Information is the folder that houses the restore points for
> the system You should find this folder on the root of any hard drive that
is
> being monitored.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Reason I want to back up registry.
> > After I uninstall a program I then want to remove it from the registry.
> > So...(just in case I should remove the wrong key from the
registry)...what
> > method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
> > What is System Volume?
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and
Windows
> >> Server 2003
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Have a look here..
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

| Rick,
| Am I better to export ALL the registry or just the the key I am
working on?

| P.S. Exporting "any key" would be like exporting (example)
| HKEY_CURRENT_USER right? wrong?
|
| Thanks again for your understanding and patience!!!!!
|
| "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > Hi,
| >
| > > ...what method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
| >
| > Export any key before you delete it. If its removal causes
problems,
| double
| > click the copy to reload it.
| >
| > > What is System Volume?
| >
| > System Volume Information is the folder that houses the restore
points for
| > the system You should find this folder on the root of any hard
drive that
| is
| > being monitored.
| >
| > --
| > Best of Luck,
| >
| > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
| > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
| > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
| > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
| > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
| >
| > "Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > > Reason I want to back up registry.
| > > After I uninstall a program I then want to remove it from the
registry.
| > > So...(just in case I should remove the wrong key from the
| registry)...what
| > > method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
| > > What is System Volume?
| > >
| > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

| Windows

Range ALL

Hi,

I just export the key(s) I am working with.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Rick,
> Am I better to export ALL the registry or just the the key I am working
> on?
>
> P.S. Exporting "any key" would be like exporting (example)
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER right? wrong?
>
> Thanks again for your understanding and patience!!!!!

>> Hi,
>>
>> > ...what method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
>>
>> Export any key before you delete it. If its removal causes problems,
> double
>> click the copy to reload it.
>>
>> > What is System Volume?
>>
>> System Volume Information is the folder that houses the restore points
>> for
>> the system You should find this folder on the root of any hard drive that
> is
>> being monitored.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Me/PDX" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> > Reason I want to back up registry.
>> > After I uninstall a program I then want to remove it from the registry.
>> > So...(just in case I should remove the wrong key from the
> registry)...what
>> > method of registry backup would you recommend I use?????
>> > What is System Volume?
>> >
>> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

> Windows

Search for a utility called ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility for NT).
It will backup all registry files to your hard drive and won't lose
the backup like System Restore always seems to do. It's free and works
fine. I have turned off System Restore totally, but you do have to
remember to run ERUNT before adding any programs or making any
important system changes.