Shared Folder

Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP Home
with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a few days
ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder while in a
user (limited account) or guest accounts.
Thanks for any advice
Dale
7 answers Last reply
More about shared folder

    "Dale" wrote:

    > Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP Home
    > with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a few days
    > ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder while in a
    > user (limited account) or guest accounts.
    > Thanks for any advice
    > Dale

    Do you have TweakUI?
    + My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
    Apply | OK
    -----

    Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825

    The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727

    My Documents folder missing in My Computer
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ZY96e.13167$mV1.8662@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
    Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP
    > Home with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a
    > few days ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder
    > while in a user (limited account) or guest accounts.
    > Thanks for any advice
    > Dale

    Hi Wesley, thx for helping me with this.

    While checking through I realised I haven't lost the shared folders folder
    after all, it's just been renamed to Documents. I've had a bit of a tinker
    in the registry but to no avail and of course I don't really know what I'm
    doing in there any way so further advise would be appreciated.

    Dale

    > Do you have TweakUI?
    > + My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
    > Apply | OK
    > -----
    >
    > Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825
    >
    > The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727
    >
    > My Documents folder missing in My Computer
    > http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:ZY96e.13167$mV1.8662@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
    > Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP
    >> Home with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a
    >> few days ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder
    >> while in a user (limited account) or guest accounts.
    >> Thanks for any advice
    >> Dale

    Hi Dale,

    The desktop.ini file for Shared Documents is either screwed up or missing.

    Detailed, illustrated instructions here:
    http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3

    Seems like a big deal, but it's really pretty simple.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:TOr6e.75424$Nr5.38833@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
    Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wesley, thx for helping me with this.
    >
    > While checking through I realised I haven't lost the shared folders folder
    > after all, it's just been renamed to Documents. I've had a bit of a
    > tinker in the registry but to no avail and of course I don't really know
    > what I'm doing in there any way so further advise would be appreciated.
    >
    > Dale

    >> Do you have TweakUI?
    >> + My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer
    >> Apply | OK
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825
    >>
    >> The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727
    >>
    >> My Documents folder missing in My Computer
    >> http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:ZY96e.13167$mV1.8662@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
    >> Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi, my shared folder has disappeared from windows explorer. I have XP
    >>> Home with guest, 1 other user and 1 administrator accounts. Noticed a
    >>> few days ago that I cannot save changes to a file in the shared folder
    >>> while in a user (limited account) or guest accounts.
    >>> Thanks for any advice
    >>> Dale

    Hi and thanks Wesley, worked first time, cheers m8.

    Dale

    Howdy Dale,

    Glad to hear it. Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:IOC6e.27327$mV1.9922@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
    Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi and thanks Wesley, worked first time, cheers m8.
    >
    > Dale

    >> Hi Dale,
    >>
    >> The desktop.ini file for Shared Documents is either screwed up or
    >> missing.
    >>
    >> Detailed, illustrated instructions here:
    >> http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3
    >>
    >> Seems like a big deal, but it's really pretty simple.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:TOr6e.75424$Nr5.38833@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
    >> Dale <daleathome@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi Wesley, thx for helping me with this.
    >>>
    >>> While checking through I realised I haven't lost the shared folders
    >>> folder
    >>> after all, it's just been renamed to Documents. I've had a bit of a
    >>> tinker in the registry but to no avail and of course I don't really know
    >>> what I'm doing in there any way so further advise would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Dale

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User