Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I cannot open anything that I download...or install....eg:....I downloaded
'hijackthis'..and if I try to open it...it flashes on the screen...then shuts
off. or......if I try to open task manager.....it does the same thing....it
flashes on the screen for a half a second then shuts off.
Almost anything I try to open from my desktop does this.
?? :( ??

I have AVG running....and spysweep and search and destroy...and they dont
tell me anything.
any suggestions??
thanks...

Sounds like you have a virus.

Is AVG updated to the latest virus definitions?

AVG Free Edition
Program version: 7.0.308
Virus base: 266.9.5 Release date: 4/7/2005

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:24473D07-031F-400D-9BA3-370F5B720308@microsoft.com,
rick <nuttinhoney@cornerpub.com> hunted and pecked:

"=?Utf-8?B?cmljaw==?=" <nuttinhoney@cornerpub.com> wrote in

> I cannot open anything that I download...or install....eg:....I
> downloaded 'hijackthis'..and if I try to open it...it flashes on
the
> screen...then shuts off. or......if I try to open task
> manager.....it does the same thing....it flashes on the screen for
> half a second then shuts off. Almost anything I try to open from my
> desktop does this. ?? :( ??
>
> I have AVG running....and spysweep and search and destroy...and
they
> dont tell me anything.
> any suggestions??
> thanks...

Can you do a virus scan with AVG from Safe Mode? If so do that. Then
go out and download SpySweeper from webroot.com and run that. Spybot
is almost worthless these days - sad really but true. Another option
is sunbelt software's CounterSpy. Neither are free after the trial
periods but both are well worth the money spent - you will be amazed
at what they find. Again run from Safe Mode to get the best results.

Hi rick,

I'm with Wesley on this, it sounds like a virus. Download stinger from:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger then restart in safe mode and run it. Do not
do this in normal mode as a live virus will often mask itself from
detection.

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

--