ati card

jerome

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
I want to get a graphics card for the next comp im going to build. It will be a 9600XT or a 9800something. Which ist the best value for the price? If i got a 9600XT i want the ASUS one, but will the ATI software and drivers (Catalyst) work on it or do i have to get ASUS drivers?

ATI reference Catalyst software will work fine on ASUS cards, but you will lose ASUS specific tweaks, like their version of temperature monitoring, etc. Temperature monitoring is available using the latest Catalysts, but there are other little tweks you may like (don't know them exactly) Stuff like VIVO support may be ASUS driver related.

As for the R9600XT versus the R9800. I would recommend an R9800 once the new cards hit the market. Likely to be a good price drop on them. Otherwise go with an R9600PRO for best bang for buck, by then they should be around the $100US level.

You will likely enjoy the experience of the R9800 more, so if you can afford one definitely get one. But the R9600Pro has undeniable peerformance to price advanatages especially when up against your average overpriced XT. At the same price of course the XT should give you more for your money 9 times out of ten.

So wait for about 2 months and the prices should drop like a stone on pricier R9800s (PROs XTs), and even drop a bit on the R9600PROs.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I dunno if its worth an extra $100 but the Asus one does come with HalfLife 2 where as the ATI one does not.

<font color=blue>_____________________________________</font color=blue>
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 512mb DDR400, Creative Geforce2 GTS,
SoundBlaster Live! Value.

I don't know. If you don't need Video in and Video out, then likely it's a little on the pricey side.

Take a look at the features the ASUS offers over and above the the ATI and decide if you think it's worth it. The build quality will be very similar. The ASUS does have obvious advantages, but are they worth it to you?

$100 is alot of money if it it's a Canadian 100 we're talking about.

Check all the prices you can and see the buyer's guide to get an idea of the makers.

A little while back I posted a rundown of my opinions of alot of the makers in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=386805#386805" target="_new">THIS THREAD</A>; that may help you along with the buyer's guide.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

jerome

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
iv heard that if you buy a 9800 pro you can flash it with 9800 xt firmware and get it to have same performance as 9800xt. is that true and if it is, can you do that on both ati and asus cards?
thanks for all the responses

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I might be wrong here, but wouldn't the difference just be core and memory clock speeds? Those can be adjusted in software?

Or is the Pro the one that has a wider memory bus?

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
The XT has a higher core clock but the same memory clock and XT and PRO both have the same memory bus, the SE has a smaller memory bus.

If you got the money get the 9800 but if you dont the 9600 is still damn good.

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

No it's not a good idea. It's been a while since this was last discussed but IIRC you would actually be crippling your card based on the memory timings and such. I remember reading about it in [H] and the impression was that it wasn't worth it, people were getting better results just overclocking their cards, not flashing them.

I didn't reply immediately because I'm very busy this week, and I was hoping someone else could answer it who may have had more info.
C'est la vie man!