NTBackup not doing scheduled backups

johng

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I set up NTBackup to do scheduled backups twice weekly on 3/24/2005. Only
one backup has been recorded, and that was the manual backup I did on
3/24/2005. Does this feature not work with XPHome?

"JohnG" <mlmpros@jwgmg.com> wrote in message
>I set up NTBackup to do scheduled backups twice weekly on 3/24/2005. Only
>one backup has been recorded, and that was the manual backup I did on
>3/24/2005. Does this feature not work with XPHome?

It could one of several problems. What user did you specify to run the
scheduled backup? This user must have a password and sufficient rights to do
the backup. The backup will fail if the user doesn't have a password. The
next most common problem is with tapes. If the tape is different from what
the backup expects the backup will fail. To get around this problem you have
to run the backup from a script and schedule the script to run at the right
times. You either have to learn how the Removable Storage Manager works and
plan your scripts to use it or include the /um switch which will erase
whatever tape is in the drive. Here is a coupe of links to start you on the
way. It can be a long and winding road :)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314844

http://syneticon.net/service/w2k/ntbackup_en.html

Kerry

JB

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message news:<uymJvCkPFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> "JohnG" <mlmpros@jwgmg.com> wrote in message
> >I set up NTBackup to do scheduled backups twice weekly on 3/24/2005. Only
> >one backup has been recorded, and that was the manual backup I did on
> >3/24/2005. Does this feature not work with XPHome?
> >

> It could one of several problems. What user did you specify to run the
> scheduled backup? This user must have a password and sufficient rights to do
> the backup. The backup will fail if the user doesn't have a password. The
> next most common problem is with tapes. If the tape is different from what
> the backup expects the backup will fail. To get around this problem you have
> to run the backup from a script and schedule the script to run at the right
> times. You either have to learn how the Removable Storage Manager works and
> plan your scripts to use it or include the /um switch which will erase
> whatever tape is in the drive. Here is a coupe of links to start you on the
> way. It can be a long and winding road :)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314844
>
> http://syneticon.net/service/w2k/ntbackup_en.html
>
> Kerry

I had the same problem recently with Server 2003. The thing which
fixed it was changing the drive path to UNC format, this means instead
of using "G:\backup\wednesday backup" for the location of your backup
file, you type "\\server-01\backup\wednesday backup"

johng

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Considering that the program won't accept the scheduled backup without a
correct username and password, I must have used the right one, because it
accepted the scheduled backup and lists it on the calendar.

And I'm using an internal hard disk for backup, not a tape. The disk is also
formatted with NTFS, just like the disk that is being backed up.

> Considering that the program won't accept the scheduled backup without a
> correct username and password, I must have used the right one, because it
> accepted the scheduled backup and lists it on the calendar.
>
> And I'm using an internal hard disk for backup, not a tape. The disk is
> also formatted with NTFS, just like the disk that is being backed up.

Just because the backup is scheduled doesn't mean the user it is scheduled
to run as will work. The scheduler will accept a blank or wrong pasword. Did
you get any errors in the event logs at the around the same time as the
backup was scheduled?

Kerry

> "JB" <johnpaul_elliott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>>> "JohnG" <mlmpros@jwgmg.com> wrote in message
>>> >

>>> It could one of several problems. What user did you specify to run the
>>> scheduled backup? This user must have a password and sufficient rights
>>> to do
>>> the backup. The backup will fail if the user doesn't have a password.
>>> The
>>> next most common problem is with tapes. If the tape is different from
>>> what
>>> the backup expects the backup will fail. To get around this problem you
>>> have
>>> to run the backup from a script and schedule the script to run at the
>>> right
>>> times. You either have to learn how the Removable Storage Manager works
>>> and
>>> plan your scripts to use it or include the /um switch which will erase
>>> whatever tape is in the drive. Here is a coupe of links to start you on
>>> the
>>> way. It can be a long and winding road :)
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314844
>>>
>>> http://syneticon.net/service/w2k/ntbackup_en.html
>>>
>>> Kerry
>>

>> I had the same problem recently with Server 2003. The thing which
>> fixed it was changing the drive path to UNC format, this means instead
>> of using "G:\backup\wednesday backup" for the location of your backup
>> file, you type "\\server-01\backup\wednesday backup"

johng

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

No errors, and I'm the only user.

> No errors, and I'm the only user.

Did you try running the backup from a script?

Kerry

TRENDING THREADS