Alan

Anyone know if it's possible to reinstall SP1 if one doesn't have
an XP disk (it's an OEM machine with just a recovery disk) and
one doesn't have the SP1 installer. Microsoft only offers the
SP1a installer. The SP1 cab files appear to be present.

How to download internet explorer 6 sp1
http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

Downloading Internet Explorer For A Different Operating System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;174680

WinXP SP1a is available for d/load from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83e4e879-fa3a-48bf-ade5-023443e29d78&DisplayLang=en

Taurarian wrote:
> How to download internet explorer 6 sp1
> http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html
>
> Downloading Internet Explorer For A Different Operating System
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;174680
>
> WinXP SP1a is available for d/load from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83e4e879-fa3a-48bf-ade5-023443e29d78&DisplayLang=en
>

> Alan wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if it's possible to reinstall SP1 if one doesn't have
>> an XP disk (it's an OEM machine with just a recovery disk) and
>> one doesn't have the SP1 installer. Microsoft only offers the
>> SP1a installer. The SP1 cab files appear to be present.

Thanks for the response but your first two links are to IE and
not the OS. The third link is to SP1a, which can not be used as a
reinstall for SP1.

johnf

Don't bother. D'load & install SP2. It Contains all of SP1 + later hotfixes.
Then go to Windows Update to pick up the hotfixes released after SP2.
--

johnf

johnf wrote:
> Don't bother. D'load & install SP2. It Contains all of SP1 + later hotfixes.
> Then go to Windows Update to pick up the hotfixes released after SP2.
> --
>
> johnf
>

>>Anyone know if it's possible to reinstall SP1 if one doesn't have
>>an XP disk (it's an OEM machine with just a recovery disk) and
>>one doesn't have the SP1 installer. Microsoft only offers the
>>SP1a installer. The SP1 cab files appear to be present.

SP2 is a last resort. We have the SP2 upgrade disk but we would
prefer to first fix SP1 before attempting the SP2 install.

johnf

What on earth are you talking about?
SP2 overwrites SP1 & corrects any SP1 errors if they exist.
I'd call that a basic first resort, as it contains all of the later released
SP1 hotfixes!

--

johnf

johnf wrote:
> What on earth are you talking about?
> SP2 overwrites SP1 & corrects any SP1 errors if they exist.
> I'd call that a basic first resort, as it contains all of the later released
> SP1 hotfixes!
>

> --
>
> johnf
>

>>johnf wrote:
>>
>>>Don't bother. D'load & install SP2. It Contains all of SP1 + later
>>>hotfixes. Then go to Windows Update to pick up the hotfixes released
>>>after SP2. --
>>>
>>>johnf

>>SP2 is a last resort. We have the SP2 upgrade disk but we would
>>prefer to first fix SP1 before attempting the SP2 install.

Based upon various postings and published literature, there have
been numerous cases of SP2 upgrade failures if and when the
installed version of the OS is corrupted. Even Microsoft
recommends that the current OS be brought up to date. I would
prefer to first fix the SP1 problems and then attempt the SP2
install. That is why I said SP2 install is last resort.

johnf

Haven't seen those, let's know how you go.

--

johnf

> johnf wrote:
>> What on earth are you talking about?
>> SP2 overwrites SP1 & corrects any SP1 errors if they exist.
>> I'd call that a basic first resort, as it contains all of the later
>> released SP1 hotfixes!
>>

>> --
>>
>> johnf

>>>SP2 is a last resort. We have the SP2 upgrade disk but we would
>>>prefer to first fix SP1 before attempting the SP2 install.
>>

> Based upon various postings and published literature, there have
> been numerous cases of SP2 upgrade failures if and when the
> installed version of the OS is corrupted. Even Microsoft
> recommends that the current OS be brought up to date. I would
> prefer to first fix the SP1 problems and then attempt the SP2
> install. That is why I said SP2 install is last resort.

Hi Alan, I don't think you can get SP1 anymore, it's SP1a.
You can however, undertake your own searches
Search for a download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

If you decide upon SP2, here's some information for you to assist you to a smooth
upgrade:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
or
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Service Pack 2 information
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx

Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9300becf-2dee-4772-add9-ad0eaf89c4a7&DisplayLang=en

How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2