SD memory cards--differences

a b } Memory
August 17, 2005 8:49:09 PM

I see SD cards by Lexar, by Sandisk and by Viking

and with memory of 512, 1 Gig and lower.

Which of these would have fastest access?

I ask because while I do use such a card for my Tungsten C,

I can now use them in digital cameras (Nikon) as well.

Thanks
Mahl
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 17, 2005 9:33:55 PM

I've got a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II and a 4MP digital camera. I can take full
resolution video and fill the entire card without stopping.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 17, 2005 9:50:18 PM

Mahlon Wagner <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote in news:9UJMe.4821$PM3.3332
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

> I see SD cards by Lexar, by Sandisk and by Viking
>
> and with memory of 512, 1 Gig and lower.
>
> Which of these would have fastest access?
>
> I ask because while I do use such a card for my Tungsten C,
>
> I can now use them in digital cameras (Nikon) as well.

AFAIK, there are only 3 manufacturers of SD cards - Panasonic, SanDisk,
and Toshiba. All other brands are one of these, with a different brand
sticker on them. Lexar mostly seems to use Panasonic, but there are
reports of others. Viking seems to be mostly Toshiba, but you can expect
to see any of the 3 mfrs with other brands. IME, Panasonic is by far the
fastest and most reliable. Sandisk has a rather poor reputation, but
that may be mostly for older cards. Toshiba cards have been reliable for
me, but are very slow on writes in the Palm. I would recommend a
Panasonic high-speed card. Get the biggest you can afford, because it
will eventually be too small, guaranteed.

Access speed isn't always an issue, depending on the application. For
cards that are mostly being read, with few writes, any card will work
fine. For instance, I use Mapopolis, with the maps on a card. I never
need to write to the card while in the Palm, so write speed is
irrelevant. A slow card works fine. For everyday use in the Palm,
though, I have a Panasonic high-speed card. My impression is that for
use in a camera, it doesn't really matter, but I have no personal
experience with that, because my camera is an older model that uses SM
cards. I haven't seen the need to upgrade.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 18, 2005 5:06:00 AM

In article <SHQMe.716$UI.230@okepread05>, "MisterJJ" <idts@noway.com>
wrote:

> I've got a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II and a 4MP digital camera. I can take full
> resolution video and fill the entire card without stopping.

The without stopping part has more to do with the camera's hardware and
software than the SD card.
!