Unable to install old programs

When I have logged on a message comes up saying
C\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
the system is not suitable for running MS/DOS & micrsoft applications
It is displayed in a box with small print on top 16bitwindow subsystems
When I press either ignore or cancel it goes away and always comes back when
I reopen.
I have tried the compatible wizard but that has not helped

Thanks

You might want to take a look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Quoting from the article:
1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then
click OK.
2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.
3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and
then click OK.
4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click
Paste.
5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied,
and then click Properties.
6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.
Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be
removed after you restart Windows.
--
Nepatsfan
"Older programs" <Older programs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote