When trying to open folders, search window opens instead

I changed a setting on the folders options to allow me to see program file
extensions on power point files. After I did this, I tried to open a folder
in my documents. Instead of opening the folder, it opened a search que. Now
I can not get windows to open the folder instead of a search que. Please let
me know how to fix this.

Feel free to email me at Scottrhill@cox.net

Thank you for your help

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
Set (default) to "none" (without ")

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"ScottRHill" <ScottRHill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I changed a setting on the folders options to allow me to see program file
> extensions on power point files. After I did this, I tried to open a
> folder
> in my documents. Instead of opening the folder, it opened a search que.
> Now
> I can not get windows to open the folder instead of a search que. Please
> let
> me know how to fix this.
>
> Feel free to email me at Scottrhill@cox.net
>
> Thank you for your help

Scott,

I have the same problem as well. I cannot open power point files that are
sent to me through e-mail. Computer promps me to open an associated folder
to ppt files.
If you or anybody has a solution for this, PLEASE let me know.

Tony Thompson

"ScottRHill" wrote:

> I changed a setting on the folders options to allow me to see program file
> extensions on power point files. After I did this, I tried to open a folder
> in my documents. Instead of opening the folder, it opened a search que. Now
> I can not get windows to open the folder instead of a search que. Please let
> me know how to fix this.
>
> Feel free to email me at Scottrhill@cox.net
>
> Thank you for your help

Tony,

Do you have Microsoft® PowerPoint installed (or the PowerPoint Viewer) ? You
can download the Viewer application from the following URL:

Download details: PowerPoint Viewer 2003:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=428d5727-43ab-4f24-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=en

If you already have this installed, and still receiving the following error,
then save the .PPS file to the hard disk and then open. Also, look at the
following URL for the fix (Applies to Windows XP SP2) systems:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel"

Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Outlook Express?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org