Delete temp (.tmp) files ???

Hi there,

Running XP Pro/Office Pro2002 and NAV detected a netsky virus in an email
but advised unable to repair/quarantine/delete the entry in my Temp folder???

I spent two hours attempting via Search/Help to locate and manually delete
this virus without success ... I ran NAV scan and rebooted in the hope the
file would disappear ... so far everything seems normal.

One unsuccessful search of C:\Documents and Settings\Rob Smith\Local
Settings\Temp revealed a host of folders that I did not understand/identify
and about 10,000 individual .tmp files ... a large batch of files each 2000kb
and mostly dated 2002/3/4.

My question is whether these .tmp files are indeed 'temporary' and can be
safely deleted or are they required as part of normal operation?

Thanks in advance,
1 answer Last reply
More about delete temp files

    Rob;
    All "*.tmp" files & the contents of "temp" folders can be safely deleted.
    It is best to reboot first to be sure they are not in use.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Rob Smith" <RobSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Running XP Pro/Office Pro2002 and NAV detected a netsky virus in an email
    > but advised unable to repair/quarantine/delete the entry in my Temp
    > folder???
    >
    > I spent two hours attempting via Search/Help to locate and manually delete
    > this virus without success ... I ran NAV scan and rebooted in the hope the
    > file would disappear ... so far everything seems normal.
    >
    > One unsuccessful search of C:\Documents and Settings\Rob Smith\Local
    > Settings\Temp revealed a host of folders that I did not
    > understand/identify
    > and about 10,000 individual .tmp files ... a large batch of files each
    > 2000kb
    > and mostly dated 2002/3/4.
    >
    > My question is whether these .tmp files are indeed 'temporary' and can be
    > safely deleted or are they required as part of normal operation?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

Virus Microsoft Windows XP