GeForceFx 5900

Sorrow

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
Hey im looking for some help, i recently bought a geforce fx 5900 as it was cheap (£119 without VAT) and im pleased with the cards performance, however every time i boot the pc up since installing the card, the system hangs just after the ram speed is shown e.g

Althon 2500+
512k ram

266mhz

it hangs here...

i get by this by going into the bois and leaving with "exit without saving" the system boots up normal after this... can any 1 help me with this problem

Pc specs are:
Athlon barton 2500+@2ghz
512DDR ram
Abit Nf7 motherboard
geoforce 5900

I have a family and a full time job, but i still get time to watch eight hours of tv a day..

Sorrow

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
Effort lol... ok i'll do that in the morning.

At the min im just getting the standard power on self test bleep i'll let you know if this changes when i reseat.... not looking forward to it that fx9500 is one big mother

I have a family and a full time job, but i still get time to watch eight hours of tv a day..

Sorrow

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
DOh! o mean 5900....i aways wnted a radeon :(

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
How big is your power supply? Do you have lots of hard drives?

This sounds consistent with the Bios trying to find a hard drive that has not been given enough power to spin up yet, and is giving read errors.

If you let the bios sit for a while, does it resume booting or give an error?

If instead of going into the bios setup, you just hit the reset button (not power, reset), does it boot up fine or hang? (theoretically if you hit reset the disks will have already spun up and won't need to suck up lots of power and do so again.)

I'm thinking that if your ram wasn't seated properly, you either would not be able to boot at all, or your crashes would be random and inconsistent - this crash always happens at exactly one spot.

You can also try a BIOS update, might solve the problem straight away.