Help and Support Problem

Greetings
I recently installed Windows XP as part of a dual boot system. The
oldest (and first) OS is Windows 98

Win 98 is installed on the C:\ drive. WinXP is installed on another
partition.

As Win XP was installing I noted that it had difficulty copying the
search assistance and help and support files and I had to skip these.
Help and support does not appear as one of the services in
msconfig.exe

Neither the PCHEALTH nor Srchasst directories were put in place in the
Windows.

Clicking on Health and Support in Start resulted in a file not found
error for hlpcenter

I located the .inf files for the Help Center and for Search Assistant
managed to get all the files in place. Both the directories were
created. All the files were in place. Clicking on the Help and Support
icon in Start resulted in nothing at all - not even an error message.

Nor is the Search Assistant in the file search utility which is less
than effective without it.

Are my problems because I have chosen a dual boot system or am I
missing something. All the Registry Keys are in place but Help and
Support and still not visible as services in msconfig.exe

Cheers
David Harvey

First of all, I suspect that the problem is with your Windows XP CD. Please
ensure that your CD is fine all files (including the Help and Support files)
are OK and can be read/copy to the hard disk. You could test it using
another machine. If those particular files are already damaged in your CD,
then it definitely cannot be copied to your hard disk during Windows XP
installation.

Lastly, also make sure that your C drive is running FAT32 file system,
because Windows 98 cannot be run on NTFS partitions. Good luck.

Regards,
Henry

"DJHDCJ" <djhdcj@nospam.ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Greetings
> I recently installed Windows XP as part of a dual boot system. The
> oldest (and first) OS is Windows 98
>
> Win 98 is installed on the C:\ drive. WinXP is installed on another
> partition.
>
> As Win XP was installing I noted that it had difficulty copying the
> search assistance and help and support files and I had to skip these.
> Help and support does not appear as one of the services in
> msconfig.exe
>
> Neither the PCHEALTH nor Srchasst directories were put in place in the
> Windows.
>
> Clicking on Health and Support in Start resulted in a file not found
> error for hlpcenter
>
> I located the .inf files for the Help Center and for Search Assistant
> managed to get all the files in place. Both the directories were
> created. All the files were in place. Clicking on the Help and Support
> icon in Start resulted in nothing at all - not even an error message.
>
> Nor is the Search Assistant in the file search utility which is less
> than effective without it.
>
> Are my problems because I have chosen a dual boot system or am I
> missing something. All the Registry Keys are in place but Help and
> Support and still not visible as services in msconfig.exe
>
> Cheers
> David Harvey

Henry,
Yep - everything was ok - the files were all in good shape. All drives
are running FAT32 although XP is installed on a drive ther than C:

Still not working

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any more thoughts

David Harvey