constant shutdowns while on the internet

Hi

My laptop shuts down virtually every time I go on the internet, telling me a
serious problem has been detected. It's a Windows XP home system and is up to
date with all norton's anti-virus and internet security software. I have even
installed anti-spyware software (which took about eight attempts to download
as it kept crashing and i got the blue screen) but that claims it is totally
clean. Our IT guy at work reckons it may be a trojan horse.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this happening? It is getting to the
point where I just won't use it any more, it's been happening more or less
since I bought it in January 2003.

Any help would be much appreciated. The laptop is a Fujisu Siemens.

map

"Trouble at mill" wrote:

> Hi
>
> My laptop shuts down virtually every time I go on the internet, telling me a
> serious problem has been detected. It's a Windows XP home system and is up to
> date with all norton's anti-virus and internet security software. I have even
> installed anti-spyware software (which took about eight attempts to download
> as it kept crashing and i got the blue screen) but that claims it is totally
> clean. Our IT guy at work reckons it may be a trojan horse.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to stop this happening? It is getting to the
> point where I just won't use it any more, it's been happening more or less
> since I bought it in January 2003.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. The laptop is a Fujisu Siemens.

The next time it shuts down and you get... "i got the blue screen"
write down any error codes it may display and post back with those codes

the blue screen only comes for about two seconds then it starts rebooting,
but it's full of text. but when you restart it gives you the "this system has
recovered from serious error, tell microsoft" message. if you go into the
technical details of what it is going to tell microsoft, it lists two folder
in Locals/wins/temps. I have made a note of them but haven't got them with me
at the moment. I can post them tomorrow if that will help anyone diagnose the
problem?

"Trouble at mill" <Troubleatmill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the blue screen only comes for about two seconds then it starts rebooting,
> but it's full of text. but when you restart it gives you the "this system
> has
> recovered from serious error, tell microsoft" message. if you go into the
> technical details of what it is going to tell microsoft, it lists two
> folder
> in Locals/wins/temps. I have made a note of them but haven't got them with
> me
> at the moment. I can post them tomorrow if that will help anyone diagnose
> the
> problem?

Disable "Automatically Restart". To do this, Control Panel>System
Properties>Advance>Startup and Recovery Settings>Uncheck "Automatically
Restart". So the next time this happens you will be able to read the Blue
Screen and record the Codes.

Also go to your Event Viewer and see if there is any clues. To go to the
Event Viewer, Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer.

--
William

Trouble at mill Wrote:
> Hi
>
> My laptop shuts down virtually every time I go on the internet, telling
> me a
> serious problem has been detected. It's a Windows XP home system.

I had a similar problem which I noted occurred only in the first 15
minutes after power-up, it was traced to a bad joint on the
motherboard. Is there any chance that time (temperature) is a factor
here, ie do you power up and go straight on the net? If so, try leaving
the machine running for a while and see if it crashes.

--
Rik Bean