Dimension 3000 Question

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
February 3, 2005 7:16:30 PM

Can a standard floppy drive be installed in a Dimension 3000, or is a
special drive without a faceplate needed? If the machine is ordered without
a floppy drive, does Dell still include the cable and mounting bracket?

Thanks!
James
February 3, 2005 7:16:31 PM

No mounting bracket included (not sure about the cable). If you want
one
either use external usb or purchase it with the system.
Dave
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:40:15 PM

"James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> Can a standard floppy drive be installed in a Dimension 3000, or is
> special drive without a faceplate needed? If the machine is ordered
> without
> a floppy drive, does Dell still include the cable and mounting
> bracket?

I have actually added a floppy to a 3000. None of what you need is
already in the case. I ordered my drive directly from Dell. You get
the drive with the mounting brackets already attached and the cable.
It's a 1 screw installation, then go into setup and turn the floppy
on. I got mine for $15 and tax. USB drives will cost more and you
cannot boot from any USB drive that I know about!!

Tom J
February 4, 2005 12:29:12 AM

I haven't seen a Dimension 3000 yet, but I would guess that they are similar to
the Dimension 2400 which it replaces. A drive without a faceplate is required.
Dell does not include the cable and mounting bracket unless you order a floppt
drive with the system. The cable is standard. The mounting bracket is custom.

You can buy the bracket and drive afterwards, either from Dell or via eBay. Or
simply use a USB floppy drive... Ben Myers

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:16:30 -0500, "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote:

>Can a standard floppy drive be installed in a Dimension 3000, or is a
>special drive without a faceplate needed? If the machine is ordered without
>a floppy drive, does Dell still include the cable and mounting bracket?
>
>Thanks!
>James

February 5, 2005 3:14:47 AM

Thank you everyone for the responses!! I went ahead and ordered the machine
with a floppy.

James

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
> > Can a standard floppy drive be installed in a Dimension 3000, or is
> > special drive without a faceplate needed? If the machine is ordered
> > without
> > a floppy drive, does Dell still include the cable and mounting
> > bracket?
>
> I have actually added a floppy to a 3000. None of what you need is
> already in the case. I ordered my drive directly from Dell. You get
> the drive with the mounting brackets already attached and the cable.
> It's a 1 screw installation, then go into setup and turn the floppy
> on. I got mine for $15 and tax. USB drives will cost more and you
> cannot boot from any USB drive that I know about!!
>
> Tom J

February 10, 2005 6:37:59 AM

Tom J wrote:

> "James" <pctech@fdn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Can a standard floppy drive be installed in a Dimension 3000, or is
>>special drive without a faceplate needed? If the machine is ordered
>>without
>>a floppy drive, does Dell still include the cable and mounting
>>bracket?
>

> I have actually added a floppy to a 3000. None of what you need is
> already in the case. I ordered my drive directly from Dell. You get
> the drive with the mounting brackets already attached and the cable.
> It's a 1 screw installation, then go into setup and turn the floppy
> on. I got mine for $15 and tax. USB drives will cost more and you
> cannot boot from any USB drive that I know about!!

Not so, Buffalo Breath. ;)

I have booted both my ThinkPad R40 & Dim 4550 from a USB floppy. The USB
sloppy may cost more out of the gate, but it can be used on multiple
computers.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 12:43:45 AM

Hello. I just recently got a kit with the floppy and mounting bracket
for a dimension 3000 system. My problem is that the installation went
smoothly except that when windows boots up and it goes to the add
hardware option it does not recognize it as a floppy. It says "scan"
for the item description and says it can't find a driver. When I go
to add a driver from a list and click on floppy it says that no
drivers were found for this kind of device. I don't understand why
it won't work. The bios recognizes it as an 3.5 floppy and it's in
the boot sequence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joe
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 12:43:46 AM

"Badziong" <job263@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello. I just recently got a kit with the floppy and mounting bracket
> for a dimension 3000 system. My problem is that the installation went
> smoothly except that when windows boots up and it goes to the add
> hardware option it does not recognize it as a floppy. It says "scan"
> for the item description and says it can't find a driver. When I go
> to add a driver from a list and click on floppy it says that no
> drivers were found for this kind of device. I don't understand why
> it won't work. The bios recognizes it as an 3.5 floppy and it's in
> the boot sequence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Joe

Boot to desktop, then go into device manager and remove any unknown
drive/device (the unidentified floppy), as well as the floppy drive
controller.

Reboot and see if XP can put them all together.

Stew
!