BootMagic: corrupt installation

Hello,

Yet another problem with Boot Magic. I want to have two XP
installation SP2 (one for myself and one to replicate clients' one)
based on NTFS. Stupid me, at some point, I deleted the FAT partition
containing Boot Magic; since then, I cannot use or re-install
BootMagic.

The message says "Setup cannot find the location of where BootMagic
was originally installed. Make sure the volume BootMagic is installed
on is visible, and is assigned the same drive letter as at the time of
install. Setup will now exit." From other news I learned I should
overwrite the MBR. I did so from the Recovery Console with fixmbr,
even continued with fixboot. However, with me it does not work! The
same error message! Where else is that information telling BootMagic
about a previous installation?

Related or not, I had a problem with the InstallShield. Another
installation claimed it to be corrupted, and I installed a hotfix from
Microsoft. That fix solved the other problem, but didn't help with
BootMagic.

I thought of cleaning the registry, but that is new to me, and I don't
know which entries to delete.

Restoring the system doesn't work either as all the restore points are
gone. Don't know how I managed that, though.

Now, I am running out of ideas. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Bjoern
5 answers Last reply
More about bootmagic corrupt installation

    I had a similar problem a while back and had to ask Symantec for help with
    the BM error. The solution was very lengthy but you might want to go their
    website and ask for help.

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "Bjoern Saentis" <saentis@swissinfo.org> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Yet another problem with Boot Magic. I want to have two XP
    > installation SP2 (one for myself and one to replicate clients' one)
    > based on NTFS. Stupid me, at some point, I deleted the FAT partition
    > containing Boot Magic; since then, I cannot use or re-install
    > BootMagic.
    >
    > The message says "Setup cannot find the location of where BootMagic
    > was originally installed. Make sure the volume BootMagic is installed
    > on is visible, and is assigned the same drive letter as at the time of
    > install. Setup will now exit." From other news I learned I should
    > overwrite the MBR. I did so from the Recovery Console with fixmbr,
    > even continued with fixboot. However, with me it does not work! The
    > same error message! Where else is that information telling BootMagic
    > about a previous installation?
    >
    > Related or not, I had a problem with the InstallShield. Another
    > installation claimed it to be corrupted, and I installed a hotfix from
    > Microsoft. That fix solved the other problem, but didn't help with
    > BootMagic.
    >
    > I thought of cleaning the registry, but that is new to me, and I don't
    > know which entries to delete.
    >
    > Restoring the system doesn't work either as all the restore points are
    > gone. Don't know how I managed that, though.
    >
    > Now, I am running out of ideas. Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bjoern

    AFAIK, Bootmagic is not designed to work with XP.
    I ran my PC for yonks with 2 x XP OS drives & my PC generated its own boot
    option screen from within boot.ini.
    As a matter of fact I tucked the boot.ini away.

    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional (#1)" /fastdetect

    --

    johnf

    > Hello,
    >
    > Yet another problem with Boot Magic. I want to have two XP
    > installation SP2 (one for myself and one to replicate clients' one)
    > based on NTFS. Stupid me, at some point, I deleted the FAT partition
    > containing Boot Magic; since then, I cannot use or re-install
    > BootMagic.
    >
    > The message says "Setup cannot find the location of where BootMagic
    > was originally installed. Make sure the volume BootMagic is installed
    > on is visible, and is assigned the same drive letter as at the time of
    > install. Setup will now exit." From other news I learned I should
    > overwrite the MBR. I did so from the Recovery Console with fixmbr,
    > even continued with fixboot. However, with me it does not work! The
    > same error message! Where else is that information telling BootMagic
    > about a previous installation?
    >
    > Related or not, I had a problem with the InstallShield. Another
    > installation claimed it to be corrupted, and I installed a hotfix from
    > Microsoft. That fix solved the other problem, but didn't help with
    > BootMagic.
    >
    > I thought of cleaning the registry, but that is new to me, and I don't
    > know which entries to delete.
    >
    > Restoring the system doesn't work either as all the restore points are
    > gone. Don't know how I managed that, though.
    >
    > Now, I am running out of ideas. Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bjoern

    John,

    It claims to work with XP, though.

    As I understand the process, you now bootstrap your second installation
    via the MBR *and* the first one instead of booting directly to your
    second one. Right now, I am doing the same thing, but BT Broadband (for
    those living in the UK) just doesn't work for anyone but admin on the
    second XP installation -- it seems to read something from the first
    installation which users are not supposed to access! It's getting
    interesting.

    Thanks,
    Bjoern

    johnf wrote:
    > AFAIK, Bootmagic is not designed to work with XP.
    > I ran my PC for yonks with 2 x XP OS drives & my PC generated its own
    boot
    > option screen from within boot.ini.
    > As a matter of fact I tucked the boot.ini away.

    Go for it.
    If it doesn't work, copy boot.ini to the Desktop as a backup, then modify
    the original with Notepad with my copy & save changes & see if that works.
    Probably you have to go through the hard work of modifying boot.ini on every
    PC.
    Oh, well, if you have a memory stick & a USB port on every machine, it
    shouldn't take too long.

    --

    johnf

    > John,
    >
    > It claims to work with XP, though.
    >
    > As I understand the process, you now bootstrap your second installation
    > via the MBR *and* the first one instead of booting directly to your
    > second one. Right now, I am doing the same thing, but BT Broadband (for
    > those living in the UK) just doesn't work for anyone but admin on the
    > second XP installation -- it seems to read something from the first
    > installation which users are not supposed to access! It's getting
    > interesting.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bjoern
    >
    > johnf wrote:
    >> AFAIK, Bootmagic is not designed to work with XP.
    >> I ran my PC for yonks with 2 x XP OS drives & my PC generated its own
    >> boot option screen from within boot.ini.
    >> As a matter of fact I tucked the boot.ini away.
  5. per "How to uninstall BootMagic when a normal uninstall fails"
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004016074158862

    I could not reinstall, I had to also delete
    "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{04C44CDC-9977-4AA2-B7E3-78981D0FEF76}"

    note; I also searched and deleted the registry entries for "btmagic.pq"

Windows XP