Programs take forever to load

my laptop (winxp home ed) got a virus on saturday, i deleted with
avast, but i think it might have done some damage before i detected it.
here's what's happenin...most of my programs now take several minutes
to load (if i click somewhere on the opening window before the several
minutes are up, it gives me the 'program not responding' error). i've
tried several more antivirus programs to be sure there are no more
viruses on my system, and also tried a few windows registry cleaners,
they all detected some issues but none have fixed this problem. any
ideas on whether this is fixable? i had been meaning to upgrade from
home ed to pro ed, if i do would this fix the problem?

any advice is greatly appreciated!

d.
1 answer Last reply
More about programs forever load

    Often a virus opens the door for all types of malware. Do you have a
    firewall?

    Use Disk CleanUp to remove Temporary Internet Files and also remove
    System Restore Points by selecting the More Options tab and click on
    System Restore.

    If not installed download Adaware and / or update Reference file
    from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    parasites.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    <mdesigns@mail.com> wrote in message
    > my laptop (winxp home ed) got a virus on saturday, i deleted with
    > avast, but i think it might have done some damage before i detected
    > it.
    > here's what's happenin...most of my programs now take several minutes
    > to load (if i click somewhere on the opening window before the several
    > minutes are up, it gives me the 'program not responding' error). i've
    > tried several more antivirus programs to be sure there are no more
    > viruses on my system, and also tried a few windows registry cleaners,
    > they all detected some issues but none have fixed this problem. any
    > ideas on whether this is fixable? i had been meaning to upgrade from
    > home ed to pro ed, if i do would this fix the problem?
    >
    > any advice is greatly appreciated!
    >
    > d.

Windows XP