Which is better for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry2229

Honorable
May 28, 2012
So im looking for a new laptop to run Diablo 3 on high setting and just looking for a little insight how these will do. I will add when I find more. Thanks.

Model: ASUS Notebook G60 Series
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
1.60 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

Model: MSI
Intel core i5 2410m 2.3 (3.2ghz) turbo boost
4g of ddr3 (max 8 )
500gb hard drive
gt540 1g dedicated vidcard with nvidia optimus.

Henry2229

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Only about 700 and these are both used by the way but msi is described as only booted up once before he switched to a mac and asus described as only used when he traveled (had desktop for home).............. I will be meeting locally to check them out before purchasing not ebay.. Msi listed as 675, asus listed as 550. Thanks

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
The Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 is not a particularly good option in most cases, because it has a 15.6" 1366x768 display.

15.6" 1366x768 and 17.3" 1600x900 displays make things onscreen large, and tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast because they are manufactured cheaply. I recommend against buying laptops that have this type of display to those who have a budget that allows them to get a suitable laptop that has a better display an at the same time suits their needs, and who don't require larger text for eyesight-related reasons.

Consider instead the HP DV6-6C53NR: HP DV6-6C53NR (i5-2450M, Radeon 7690M XT, 15.6" 1920x1080 matte display)

Its AMD Radeon 7690M XT is faster than both the GTX 260M and the GT 540M in the laptops you listed. It is faster than the version of the GT 555M used in the Lenovo IdeaPad Y570, because the IdeaPad's version of the GT 555M is a modified GT 540M and not a true GT 555M.

Ensure that, if you buy this laptop, that you change the BIOS setting for switchable graphics from DYNAMIC to FIXED.

I agree with jaguarskx:
He's not inquiring about a laptop to play BF3, Witcher 2 etc, he's asking about playing Diablo 3 and there are PLENTY of laptops which can do that well for as little as $500.

Here's an example of an AMD APU system:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Pavilion+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+-+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Steel+Gray/4700037.p?id=1218509236294&skuId=4700037

In my experience, quad-core APU's with relatively good graphics provide a great basic gaming computer experience.

They are also very QUIET and COOL which is very important for many laptop users.

The quad-core APU tends to have LESS CPU computing power than a similarly priced laptop but MORE graphics power. In general.

*Don't forget to write down a list of your NEEDS and WANTS. (i.e. "Needs" to be quiet, "Needs" to run Diablo 3 at 30FPS on medium, "needs" to have HDMI output etc...)

Henry2229

Honorable
May 28, 2012
needs to run D3 high settings 30 fps

needs to be able to be upgradeable for future games IE elder of the scrolls late 2013, and yes I know theres no specs out for the game... but just to be on the safe side if possible. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upgradeable." You generally can't upgrade the CPU or GPU on a laptop.

By Elder Scrolls 2013 I assume you mean the online version.

Anyway, there is a HUGE difference in laptops varying from non-gaming, to light-gaming to heavy-gaming ("heavy" for a laptop I mean).

In general, you can buy a basic laptop for about $400. When you pay more money than that most of it goes to a better CPU and Graphics.

The questions are:
1) How much are you willing to pay?
2) How much noise will you accept?

IMO, people who are willing to spend over $700 for a "gaming" laptop should get an NVidia Optimus rig. The NVidia Optimus technology has a dedicated graphics GPU that is automatically turned ON when needed and OFF when not needed (You can add an EXE for a game or program if it's not yet in the list via new drivers).

*WARNING:
If you have the money I recommend a 600M series, such as a 660M. However, some of these are previous generation and not Kepler. There's a list you can Google. Kepler is far cooler and quieter so that's what you want.

I hope this helps.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html

Note that the 660M is Kepler, or should be. If you go for a 600M chip, be careful to ensure that you actually get Kepler for a certain laptop. If in doubt, try getting it in writing that if it is NOT you can get a full return.

(That's how much I'm not trusting NVidia for sneaking pre-gen chips in as 600M chips, or at least allowing the laptop manufacturers the ability to do so.)

Hence my question "how much are you willing to pay?"

As I say it's hard to answer his question because he mentions a $700 laptop and later says "would it be worth the $300 extra?" so I'm not sure what his exact requirements are.

IMO, the best value would be a quad-core APU with graphics sufficient to play Diablo 3 on High at 1366x768 (or Medium with higher resolution) such as a 17" or using an external monitor.

All the information I have suggests that $600 USD can get an APU-based laptop that can play Diablo 3 and similar games BETTER than a similarly priced Intel system. The Intel system would have more CPU processing but less GPU processing and the advantage for GAMING goes to the APU system.

If he's just interested in Diablo or similar then $700 should be his upper limit and it should be an APU. He'd have to carefully compare as there are many different versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.